Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
"Need a peaceful top dwelling fish"

...Comes home with Golden Panchax :|

How long before it needs to go in my spare tank? :p

Anything "torpedo" shaped and less than ~50% of the Golden Wonder's length will be considered live lunch if they will fit in its mouth. With larger fish, they are well behaved community fish, they aren't major fans of strong water current.

Soldato
Anything "torpedo" shaped and less than ~50% of the Golden Wonder's length will be considered live lunch if they will fit in its mouth. With larger fish, they are well behaved community fish, they aren't major fans of strong water current.

I have some harlequin rasboras, flame and diamond tetras in the tank. I think the diamond tetras will get too big for them.

It's a male and female pair. The male hasn't eaten the small male guppy I got given by accident yet (which initially tried to mate with it ofc). So I think they are safe for now.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Need some help. I’m about 3 1/2 weeks into getting my first tank established and noticed we have quite a few little nails appearing. Should they be left or removed? It’s a 25ltr tank.

Here’s a photo.

mGlPjge.jpg

Associate
Need some help. I’m about 3 1/2 weeks into getting my first tank established and noticed we have quite a few little nails appearing. Should they be left or removed? It’s a 25ltr tank.

Here’s a photo.

I'd personally say delete them, it's a bladder snail and they can be a real pest, worst of all they can reproduce asexually. Eggs can take a while to hatch too so it can be difficult to fully remove a large infestation.

Odds are they probably came in on a plant - I prefer to quarantine my plants in a bucket of water for 24 hours, you'll usually see some fall to the bottom of the bucket. Some still slip past though.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'd personally say delete them, it's a bladder snail and they can be a real pest, worst of all they can reproduce asexually. Eggs can take a while to hatch too so it can be difficult to fully remove a large infestation.

Odds are they probably came in on a plant - I prefer to quarantine my plants in a bucket of water for 24 hours, you'll usually see some fall to the bottom of the bucket. Some still slip past though.

Thanks, they are getting bigger. Probably feeding on the dead plant matter. Added a Betta today and he’s already attacked a few :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yeah they can get bloody huge those things, I've had a few pop up out of nowhere. Enjoy the betta, though be warned they're addictive, I've got 3 now lol.

Any advice on feeding Betta?

Here's a picture of Sparkles.

DSCF9415.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
They wont like mollies, platies, guppies.

Nothing territorial will really. They dont respect their territory and gobble up all their food :p

Soldato
I also found betas get out competed for food by anything remotely quick in a community tank. While some (emphasis on the some) specimens can be territorial, I’ve found they can be a little slow/shy when it comes to the usual feeding frenzy and there left with the scraps at best.

Associate
I take it you don't have issues with a Molly population explosion, if the RTBS is in the same tank? ;)

Ha, when we bought the Mollies the female was already pregnant so we had a huge explosion of baby Mollies in the smaller tank after a month or so. We had to systematically "lose" twenty or so at a time during water changes :D The BTRS was getting a bit shirty in the smaller tank but since we transferred them over to the bigger tank he seems to have calmed down a lot. If the female Mollie gets pregnant again then I will more than likely move her on as I cant be bothered trying to re-home another 70 or 80 babies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Amazing fish, well chosen! I highly recommend Hikari Bio-Gold pellets. Ours took to Fluval Bug Bites and Tetra Shrimp/Krill flakes at first, now that they've tried the Hikari pellets they look visibly disgusted at anything else. Plus you can hear them crunching and it's quite funny
I’d just bought some food actually, turns out that is the exact one I bought :D

Do you mix it up? I’ve read they like Bloodworms as a treat.

Associate
I’d just bought some food actually, turns out that is the exact one I bought :D

Do you mix it up? I’ve read they like Bloodworms as a treat.

I do try and mix it up a bit but they only begrudgingly eat the other foods now lol. Yeah ours love dried bloodworms too, I have to grind them up quite fine though as they're too big, one of ours was swimming around for a few hours with his mouth stuck open because he'd tried to inhale one without chewing by the looks of it!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I do try and mix it up a bit but they only begrudgingly eat the other foods now lol. Yeah ours love dried bloodworms too, I have to grind them up quite fine though as they're too big, one of ours was swimming around for a few hours with his mouth stuck open because he'd tried to inhale one without chewing by the looks of it!

Thanks, I may find some ground up bloodworm for him.

I’m struggling with my current pump, it’s not adjustable and the flow is too strong. I’ve attached something to the outlet to baffle the flow but it’s not ideal. Does anyone have a recommended pump for the 25ltr tank? I’m also concerned about changing the filter and loosing some of the good bacteria in my current filter.

Associate

I’m struggling with my current pump, it’s not adjustable and the flow is too strong. I’ve attached something to the outlet to baffle the flow but it’s not ideal. Does anyone have a recommended pump for the 25ltr tank? I’m also concerned about changing the filter and loosing some of the good bacteria in my current filter.

Classic problem, I went with an Eheim Pickup 45 in my 57L - adjustable flow rate from 50lph to 180lph. Another good option is the Elite Stingray 5. Just take out your existing filter media and float it loose in the tank, should be zero problems but you can always monitor ammonia/nitrite if concerned.

Soldato

Aesthetics aside, you could go with an airline filter with such a small tank and only a beta, im not convinced they give good enough water circulation (and Beta's dont exactly stir up the water) but with the odd plant and a stir every so often i dont see why not. i'd keep the pump running for a week or so to allow the filter to seed prior to removing it mind.
i've used them in the past as an addition on a bigger tank hidden behind some decor and tbf it did seem to work pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom