Your experience buying approved used

Soldato
Had a poor experience with Jaguar approved used today (Looker).

Here’s what happened... spotted a great looking F-Type V6 on autotrader, got in touch with the Jaguar dealer and was told the car was in good condition. Put down a refundable deposit and went to see it today - 2hr round trip. At first glance the car looked great and it drove well. However, cosmetically there’s no way you could say it’s in good condition.
  • Both driver and passenger windows had pretty deep vertical scratches in them, apparently from grit in the door seals.

• Almost every exterior panel had scuffs and/or scratches.

• The leather dash had a bunch of small dents in - typical wear and tear we were told.

• Scratches on most interior plastic including dials and fascias, as well as one of the leather door handles.

• The leather parcel shelf area behind the seats had 2 deep tears in about an inch long
  • The windscreen was peppered with 20+ small stone chips that were clearly visible when driving but apparently not deep enough to warrant repair or replacement of the screen.

• After the test drive the rear bumper was pebbled dashed with black soot. We were told that this was normal for a car that’s been sitting around for quite a long time during lockdown, and it’s just the engine cleaning out. However before we viewed it he told us that this car had just come in.
They offered to repair some of the cosmetic damage but the overall condition of the car concerned us to the point that we walked away.

After enquiring about the 165 point used approved check, we were told that this is done before delivery of the car, not before viewing it. It also felt like if we hadn’t spotted certain issues they wouldn’t have bothered to fix them, and acted kind of surprised when we pointed some of them out. They informed us that whether the car passes the checks is at the discretion of the sales manager for each branch which doesn’t feel particularly honest or standardised.

While I appreciate I was looking at a second hand, 4 year old car, surely this isn’t normal?

Interested to hear your horror stories and how you approach buying approved used cars. e.g. to avoid having your time wasted, what to check in advance and when viewing the car etc. Cheers!

Man of Honour
A deposit just to look at a car ? WTF ???? Ok its 8 years since since I bought a car, when did that kind of thing become even remotely acceptable ?
I imagine it was a deposit so they didn't flog it while the OP was traveling to view it rather than a deposit before they were allowed to view it.

Soldato
OP
A deposit just to look at a car ? WTF ???? Ok its 8 years since since I bought a car, when did that kind of thing become even remotely acceptable ?

It was apparently to take the listing offline and hold it for a week until I got the chance to view and test drive. Seems to be a covid thing after a quick google.

Soldato
I don't think that's normal lol

I looked at a car today, just phoned and went. If they sell it in that time then it's too bad. You only put a deposit down when you agree to buy it.

Soldato
I've had two fantastic experiences buying approved used but both consisted of knowing which car we wanted but not being set on one particular car.

The first was Williams BMW Liverpool where we went in and said we'd like a 320d touring for x amount. They said no chance, then had one in stock that was pretty much perfect condition so we ended up agreeing to buy it. Aftersales has been great and the car hasn't let us down at all. The salesman even remembered us when we had a look round other cars whilst it was in service a year later.

Second was a query against a lexus ct200h and it was a bit over budget so once we looked at finance on that one we decided no but gave then the opportunity to find one in budget. They came back with another one that was known to them and again in pretty much perfect condition and didn't push any dealer products but sold us the (cheaper) extended lexus warranty than their dealer option. That was lexus lincoln and remote sale so they sent over any photos we wanted and were fantastic. Was weird driving over and trading in (agreed price beforehand and was never questioned when swapped) outside the dealer due to covid rules but they made it easy.

Both times they made us feel as good as when we've bought new cars in the past and both times they found a car to a spec we wanted.

Man of Honour
In my experience the 1366788 point checks are worthless - if they are a well known/big dealer buying that way usually means you have a bit more comeback as these days they tend to like their 5 star reviews (and there is always another mug who'll buy the car if you reject it).

Soldato
I've had a number of approved used, the experience with BMW and Lexus was excellent, Lexus in particular were superb in terms of personal service. BMW get a shout though as I have never had any issues with the 2 or 3 cars approved used with them in terms of repairs etc

Funny though, my one approved used Jaguar was an epic nightmare, I ended up having to go to one of the directors at their head office to get things sorted. Long story short, much wrong that they didnt catch in any check, then they claimed it wasnt "under warranty" 1 day after purchase, which of course prompted much rage battle.

I shared my experiences on one of the Jaguar forums, someone from their head office called me and said that it would be in my best interests not the share my experience "legally"

So of course I shared it all

Associate
Had a great experience with Honda on my last purchase of the FK2 Type R, but was pre-covid.

Didn't have to put down a deposit, but they held the car for me while I travelled over (Honda Bradford), when I arrived there was another couple sniffing around the car, but they stuck to their promise and gave me chance to weigh it up first and test drive etc.

Car was exactly as described, and as above went through with the deal because it was exactly what I was looking for.

I think the other couple ended up buying a brand new FK8 so they got two sales, but I'm sure they'd have bought the FK2 if they'd let them have first dibs.

Associate
After my first car I've only ever bought directly from main dealers, 1 Megane which although not approved/used (as it was older than the dealer would accept) did go through their checks, and my current Skoda Fabia and BMW Z4.

For the Megane I was able to directly go to Renault UK and get them to get another Renault dealer to sort out the car as it had failed within the 6 months I got it and they wanted me to tow it 150miles so that the dealer I got it from could have a look.

Overall, I've probably spent a couple of grand more buying across all 3 cars to buy them directly from main dealers, but saved a lot more money when I had to use warranties/complimentary service packs etc.

For the BMW I had the following changed under warranty/FOC: battery, wiring, high pressure fuel pump, injectors, inner roof lining, front spoiler fixed (was cracked), 4 alloy wheels.

For the Skoda I managed to get 4 years servicing thrown in. Haven't had any issues apart from a cracked CV joint boot which I had to fork out as it happened after the first year, plus I'm sure it's a wear & tear item anyway.

I do it for the peace of mind and knowing that I can escalate things above the dealer if needed and to the manufacturer.

Soldato
OP
In my experience the 1366788 point checks are worthless - if they are a well known/big dealer buying that way usually means you have a bit more comeback as these days they tend to like their 5 star reviews (and there is always another mug who'll buy the car if you reject it).

Agreed, doesn’t seem like they’re worth the paper they’re written on. Also, funny you should say that, when we told him we we’re going to leave it, he replied that he had another buyer lined up who would take it immediately. It was back on auto trader two hours after we left...

Soldato
Pretty much exactly that. I was even told that the gouges out of the glass were pretty normal and that you see it on most cars. By this point we semi politely pointed out that he was full of ****.

yeah had this, but when you trade in they knock a fortune off saying it’s not looked after.

more and more cars I’ve seen have scratches on the side windows.

Associate
I made the mistake of actually buying one unseen after all the positive answers to questions, videos and assurances from them about an “approved used” ftype.

https://overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/car-purchase-that-has-some-niggles.18908872/page-2

Ended up returning it

It’s interesting you mention dents and cuts on the parcel shelf.. the f type I got had the same.

the ftype owners forum seemed to suggest this is a common problem with the cover

https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4925

The approved used is just bs Tbh.. They just want to offload cars as quick and easily as possible.. I tried to email the main Jaguar customer services but they weren’t interested. Similar to your experience in that it’s up the particular sales manager.

Apologies for the multiple edits.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Interestingly, I enquired at BMW dealer yesterday for a car on their site. It was showing as approved used - M135i
They said it was unavailable for test drive as it had been sold to trade (failed AUC check)
Whether they thought I was a test pilot as it was after I mentioned I was 22 IDK, but I am serious about buying one. Not a great start

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I have bought several cars through BMW's AUC programme and I have had problems every single time. Basically, I am now of the opinion that most BMW franchises are no better than buying from a backstreet type place.

The first time I "bought" an F10 M5 they'd crashed it and lied about repairing the damage. I spotted it from across the car park when I went to sign the paperwork, asked them about it - they lied to my face. Told them as much and left never to return.
535d - told it was "like new" - agreed to send me photos, video tour of car etc. They were quite creative in hiding some damage to the rear arch. I drove 300 miles to pick it up and was of course absolutely furious. They agreed to knock money off the car so I could get it repaired properly.
640d GC. No issues buying this one although they'd conveniently "overlooked" a leaking rear tyre valve that ended up in a BMW ES recovery and a lengthy hold to the DP to sort out. When I came to trade the car in to BMW they discovered that the selling dealer had effectively faked the FSH. Another lengthy call through the tiers of management to get them to cover the diminution in value caused by their actions.
M2 - bought with the remainder of the new car and then AUC warranties... Discovered later that it had been remapped by the first owner and had been flagged as mapped by the dealership - effectively meaning I had no warranty.

None of these are big deal issues as such but you would expect the AUC process to weed out issues like this, but they don't.

Oh and in case anyone was in any doubt at all, I traded my E92 M3 in which had had a blown engine during my ownership, replaced by someone other than BMW. They retailed that AUC...

Back
Top Bottom