your favorite cult movie..

Associate
Event Horizon for me. Loved that film since i was a Kid.

I remember reading an article about it last year saying how it was criticised massively when it was first released, It never did so well either as it was rushed into release due to the delay of Titanic. The original test screening flopped so Anderson had to cut about half an hour of footage which screwed the film over considerably.

Here's the article if anyone fancies a read...

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/event-horizon/256807/event-horizon-from-doomed-ship-to-cult-gem

Associate
What's a cult film?
Pffft, elitist alternative sub culture snowflaking or what!

Betchya gone with the wind and the Wizard of Oz are two of the biggest films of all times with a past audience, a current audience and no doubt a future audience... Cult?
Well the OP himself clarified his request and a cult film is one with a cult in it. A fact 99% of the posts in this thread have decided to ignore. Which is fine. Talking about films is always good.

Indian Jones and The Temple of Doom has a cult and is a great film, but is not a cult film.
Wicker Man (Edward Woodward) has a cult and is a great film and is also a cult film.
Wicker Man (nic cage) was just pants, but it does have a cult in it.

Either way. Both Gone with the wind and Wizard of Oz were and continue to be massively popular with mainstream audiences. This is the exact opposite of a cult film.

The Warriors (1979) as suggested by someone above would be a good example of a cult film, but it does not have a cult in it.
Blade runner (does not have a cult), was not enjoyed by the mainstream audiences on release but did achieve a cult following that lasted for a number of years. Eventually it was released in so many different cuts it was seen by so many people and is now a mainstream enjoyed film. Its had a sequel and multiple re-releases in mainstream cinemas instead of just special film festival type screenings, so you could say it was a cult film and now no longer is.

Associate
I tend to think of cult films being those that inspire an obsessive following and don't fit neatly into a mainstream genre rather than necessarily having to be unpopular, but that might just be me.

Associate
I tend to think of cult films being those that inspire an obsessive following and don't fit neatly into a mainstream genre rather than necessarily having to be unpopular, but that might just be me.

I thought the same!

American Beauty
Mad Max
Se7en
Fight Club
Fargo
Trainspotting

Associate
Sorry to dig up an old thread here, but my absolute fav cult flick has gotta be DEAD POET'S SOCIETY starring Robin Williams (R.I.P. :(). I first saw the movie, then I was told there was a novelization of the movie by N.H. Kleinbaum and I just had to read it. The storyline is great, the acting is perfect and the photography is just amazing.
Carpe diem :):)
54d415bc57de6_-_esq-poets-de.jpg

The novel:
Blog-Titles-26.png

Associate
Outland - Great to see this film has already been mentioned; as often overlooked! Sean Connery simply makes this film.
Dog Soldiers
Robocop - One of the greatest Sci-Fi films ever, many of the messages are ringing true even now... Hard to believe this film was made 30 years ago.
Se7en - Set a benchmark and influenced many crime thrillers since.
Mad Max (1979) - I was not such a fan of the rest, just love the gritty story of the first episode.
Event Horizon

Soldato
Withnail and I.

Reading through the thread many of the films listed aren't even close to cult films. Metropolis (cinema classic), Mad Max 2 (franchise movie, and not even the first in a franchise at that), The Thing (again I favourite of mine).

Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Jaws, Ghostbusters, The Terminator - all great films, but none of them are cult films. I love Fight Club, but it's not a cult film it's like saying Ther Matrix is a cult film, or calling GOT or Soparanos a 'cult' TV shows.

The Big Lebowski is a cult film, but Alien isn't a cult film, both are all-time faves of mine. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a cult film, Repo Man is a cult film, Brazil is a cult film, Time Bandits is a cult film, Napoleon Dynamite is also. Boondock Saints? YES!

You list Repo Man as one of your cult films, and the director and writer of this used to have a show on BBC2 in which he discussed a cult film each week, followed by the film shown in its complete uncut glory. One of the films featured in this series was The Terminator, and I reckon he was right.

Soldato
the greatest Sci-Fi films ever, many of the messages are ringing true even now... Hard to believe this film was made 30 years ago.
It's hard to believe they were able to make Robocop on a budget of $13m. As a kid it was one of the first movies I saw that was rated 18 (it was either that or Predator 2) and loved it for it's gory violence and as I got older I appreciated more for the themes it presented and the satirical in movie adverts (a Paul Verhoeven trope as he used them again in Starship Troopers). These days is watching it is like being stabbed by the needle of nostalgia.

Soldato
On the subject of Robocop, I find the Murphy murder scene harder to stomach as I get older. I guess i'm becoming more re-sensitized to violence as I enter my later years and become more aware of my own mortality.

Soldato
I've found myself repeatedly watching Tron as it gets a run out on Sky Movies at the moment. Is that classed a a cult film these days?

Back
Top Bottom