Your football pet hates

Caporegime
Something else I just thought about:

When a defending player goes down feigning injury, the attackers have the ball in a dangerous position and the ref stops the play. The attacking team get the ball back with their keeper, all momentum lost.

Associate
Time wasting, I know it goes on to a certain degree at all levels, but there are times when I'm watching games an the amount of time rolling about, keepers taking an eternity with goal kicks, last minute subs etc. I've been at games where the ball is out of play more than its in play and its so infuriating to see the stock 4 minutes being displayed.

They should introduce and In-Play clock e.g 30 minutes each half and you can roll about all you want but if the balls not active then it doesn't count towards the clock.

http://www.soccermetrics.net/team-performance/effective-time-in-football

The average effective playing time of 55m 6s in the Premier League games, so 30 minute halves seems generous but about right to me

Caporegime
Players committing a bad tackle and then pretending to be injured hoping that the referee won't book them.
Making substitutions deep into injury time for no other reason other than to break up play/time waste.
Goalkeepers being allowed to wrecklessly punch other players without being booked.
Players putting the ball down at set pieces so that it's touching the line by about 1mm (this particularly annoys me with penalties and even more so when the pitch has a circular ring instead of a spot).
Commentators and pundits being heavily biased towards certain players.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
-Defenders 'shepherding' the ball out for a goalkick, and by 'shepherding', I mean blatantly obstructing the opposition with no attempt to play the ball. Sol Campbell was a master at this
-Teams that need a goal having everyone back to defend a corner, allowing the opposition to push up really high into their half, rather than leaving a man on the halfway line to keep them honest and provide a counter-attack opportunity
-Not having a player on the opposite side of the pitch to collect overhit corners
-Poor ref discipline with added time - not enough added on (especially in first half), often rounded to an exact minute, or occasionally blow up before the minimum number of minutes (foreign refs are the worst for this, blowing on 92:57 when there is a minimum of 3mins stoppage time, and there was a further stoppage after it was announced....)
-Keepers holding the ball for more than 6s
-Uncontested drop-balls
-Kicking the ball out for injuries
-Subbed players taking ages to leave the pitch
-Stupid bookings like removing your shirt

Soldato
Diving.
Players acting as if they've been shot and then get up as soon as a foul has been awarded or a card issued.
Fouls being awarded when they are breathed on.
Any form of time wasting.
Penalties not being awarded when a foul would have been awarded outside the box.
Penalty takers doing a little shimmy on the run up.
Blatant obstruction from defenders when shepherding the ball out of play.
Shoulder barging practically not being allowed now.
Mexican waves.
Fancy boots.
Michael Owen.
MOTD pundits other than Ian Wright.
Players surrounding the ref.
Bookings for celebrating with the crowd or taking their shirt off when scoring.
Football grounds which play music once a goal is scored.
Players pretending to have a head injury, knowing play will be stopped and will waste time.
Refs not taking into account stoppages within stoppage time.

Associate

This one baffles me, because end of games and they all take their shirts off and ref doesn't give cards out then? But he can still give cards after the final whistle for other things.

Associate

This one baffles me, because end of games and they all take their shirts off and ref doesn't give cards out then? But he can still give cards after the final whistle for other things.

If I remember correct from when we talked about this when I was a referee 12-13 years ago that rule is mainly there to prevent further injuries to players and supporters. After the game the players don't tend to run around like headless chickens while they take their tops off ;)

Soldato
Diving players not getting a straight red.

Players who blatantly dive for a penalty and not getting a straight red.

I’d be a ruthless referee.

Soldato
When a player misses by a yard or so and the commentator(and everybody tbf) says "that was unlucky"...no, it was close, but it wasn't accurate enough, nothing unlucky about it!
Booking a player for kicking the ball away...There is another ball in place seconds later. Who cares!
Players grabbing the ball as they go down. If a foul hasn't been given, that is deliberate handball and should be a yellow.

And the biggest one, that has me pulling my hair out when my team does it(which is a lot) - Sending your centre backs up for corners then not putting it in the box!

Oh and for those who say timewasting, I disagree. It is an essential part of the pantomime!

Back
Top Bottom