Your Gaming TV!

Soldato
Just a thread that could be useful for the peeps looking to upgrade for the latest consoles.

I'm using a Sony 65S8005C 3D Curved screen 4K 65-inch Ultra HD TV, which I *think* has had the HDR update.

Stunning Gaming TV, no lag and super smooth generally.

What TV you using, and how good is it? What budget have you got to spend on a TV and I'm sure some peeps will be able to recommend a model :)

Soldato
Samsung JS9000 55". It is a 2015 model and I got it just as the 2016 models had just come out so I got a bit price reduction on it, got it for £1500. I think it was samsungs 2nd best TV of 2015 and yeah, it shows. Really nice picture quality.

Caporegime
55W809C

Sony's flagship 1080p panel a year back. I cannot feel any lag, I use it in game mode anyhow. However I am going to be swapping back to my Dell U2414H monitor simply because it's too big. I sit 6 feet away and it's ruining my eyes (strain). I'm going to then re-arrange the room layout so I can switch between the 2 and sit approx 8 feet away from the 55 inch.

Will then use monitor for competitive fps and large screen for non competitive gaming by swapping HDMI's out the back. Switches the decent ones which work properly are expensive. Cheap ones are crap.

I've got a 4K tv but don't see the point of hooking it up to a console as they can't do 1080p @ 60 fps.

You can't go wrong if you look on hdtvtest or avforums tbh. That has all the info you need on any decent tv.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl55w805c-201508034145.htm

that is a review of the model below mine 805C, I have the 809C with the better electronics and the same panel.

Soldato
I'm still on my trusty Sony 55W905 - although i've been close to upgrading a bunch of times. It puts out as good a picture as i've seen on a 1080p lcd and has 20ms input lag, which is the most important factor as this is a full time gaming screen. But 4k HDR is calling and it's days are near numbered. It won't be sold tho - too good for that :)

Soldato
im using samsung ue60ju6800, its pretty good with its quantum dot colours. It was the best specced 60 i could find at the time so in my mind its high end:p.

Soldato
OP
I buy TVs regularly, it's ridiculous. Normally 55" but I think I'll keep this 65" curved for a while. Good panel and having Android built in is useful, can watch Netflix with dedicated button, Sony Now with PS4 pad and most importantly Kodi!

Great all rounder.

I think Samsung/Sony have the most impressive screens, had high end LG, and Panasonic, both about the same as each other.

Caporegime
I think Samsung/Sony have the most impressive screens, had high end LG, and Panasonic, both about the same as each other.

this is where people go wrong. basing decisions on previous models.

the market changes all the time. the best tv's you could buy 5-10 years ago where panasonic plasmas and then the 2nd last year of plasma samsung where joint top with panasonic and on the last year pansonic came out with the kuro killers to dominate the top spot.

the year after when plasma had died samsung took over for a year or 2 then sony did for a year or two then back to samsung for a year or two, right now LG are the top manufacturer in both OLED and LCD.

basically never ever go with a brand go with the most current reviews from hdtvtest and avforums. LG right now are the top dogs.

My last 3 tv purchases have been Panny plasma to sony lcd to lg 4k HDR lcd

Soldato
I'm still on my trusty Sony 55W905 - although i've been close to upgrading a bunch of times. It puts out as good a picture as i've seen on a 1080p lcd and has 20ms input lag, which is the most important factor as this is a full time gaming screen. But 4k HDR is calling and it's days are near numbered. It won't be sold tho - too good for that :)

Same but 47".

Best TV I've had, keeping it for a while yet. And like you will just be used as a 2nd set in another room.

At the time it was considered a great gaming TV and still is.

Soldato
OP
this is where people go wrong. basing decisions on previous models.

the market changes all the time. the best tv's you could buy 5-10 years ago where panasonic plasmas and then the 2nd last year of plasma samsung where joint top with panasonic and on the last year pansonic came out with the kuro killers to dominate the top spot.

the year after when plasma had died samsung took over for a year or 2 then sony did for a year or two then back to samsung for a year or two, right now LG are the top manufacturer in both OLED and LCD.

basically never ever go with a brand go with the most current reviews from hdtvtest and avforums. LG right now are the top dogs.

My last 3 tv purchases have been Panny plasma to sony lcd to lg 4k HDR lcd

I don't go off reviews alone, can be biased even avforums. LG will always be a budget brand. You get what you pay for basically. I did love my last LG with passive 3D glasses though, but Sony are in a different league.

Look at the features I've listed on my TV, top end 3D(which I like for gaming, play split screen with 2 players wearing glasses and both get full screen picture of their split screen in 1080p/4k), playstation now is great for families with kids who don't want to buy a console but still have a library of 300+ and growing games for like a tenner a month.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a Samsung KS7000 55" its UHD Premium and does a superb job with gaming....

Build quality is a bit hit and miss it took me three to get a decent one.

Soldato
At the time it was considered a great gaming TV and still is.

It's still up there with the very best 1080p panels tbh. How many other high end lcds can boast 20ms input lag? It had the cream of the crop plasma at the time beat gaming wise and not much has changed. The only reason I see to upgrade is if you want larger, 4k, HDR etc - and even then the pickings are very slim if you want good input lag. When the time comes this will become my retro gaming panel!

Caporegime
I buy TVs regularly, it's ridiculous. Normally 55" but I think I'll keep this 65" curved for a while. Good panel and having Android built in is useful, can watch Netflix with dedicated button, Sony Now with PS4 pad and most importantly Kodi!

Great all rounder.

What do you do with the old ones?

Soldato
It's still up there with the very best 1080p panels tbh. How many other high end lcds can boast 20ms input lag? It had the cream of the crop plasma at the time beat gaming wise and not much has changed. The only reason I see to upgrade is if you want larger, 4k, HDR etc - and even then the pickings are very slim if you want good input lag. When the time comes this will become my retro gaming panel!

I got mine in an end of line sale for £799, was a bargain. Had it for about 3 years now roughly.

Soldato
That must have been a hassle!

I thought exchanging a console was bad enough.

It was a pain luckily Currys were quite helpful which was not expected. They are only held together with tape so the rear panel separates. They have used stronger tape on the newer ones so so far my latest one has been ok.

It's a pain but the picture more than makes up for it....:)

Back
Top Bottom