Your HTPC/NAS Usage

Soldato
What do you guys use your 'HTPC/NAS' for?

Specifically, do you guys have bluray players in it rather than go for a standalone bluray player?

Is a certain spec of HTPC required to use a bluray player as?

I'd also like to use my 'HTPC' as a machine for backing up photos from our phones, I'm aware I could use a cloud but I'd like something more local, you never know when a company is going to go under! On this I'm wondering if there is a program/app that allows backup from other devices to this location? I intend on running my storage in a raid/mirror array just incase one of the drives fails.

I want to set up a HTPC but is it more hassle than its worth? Is there a better option for this?

Associate
If you do, go wired - wireless interference can create irritating buffering, especially when neighbor's wifi are on non-standard channels & bleed through.

Gigabit Lan is has been the standard for the last 8+ years for NAS/HTPCs.

Associate
I have an HTPC which I use for 4 main purposes.

1. Netflix / Youtube on the TV
2. TV on the TV - may sound odd but we are expat and use internet services to watch UK TV.
3. Kodi - we have over 1000 movies on a separate NAS - everything is hardwired.
4. Backups. I have 4 external drives attached to it and managed under storage spaces. not elegant but use it a a final backup / mirror for the NAS via Synctoy (or similar) I cant remember which!

Never had a bluray or similar attached as everything is online / on the Nas.

To be honest, best PC we have ever had, built in 2011 i3 2100T, in an Antec 110 case. 120gb SSD, 8GB ram, H61? motherboard. never had any issues at all, and just does what i need without any issues - have an old IR detector attached too for the Logitech remote.

Martin

Soldato
1 Netflix/Youtube,Amazon
2 Freesat Tuner/recorder.
3 CCTV Hkvision, backup system for recording when main CCTV pc is down.
4 CCTV to see if I need to answer the front door lol.
5. 1080p gaming (mostly assassin creeds, gta 5, Lego 2 player and games that play nice on a 360 wireless controller)
6. Kodi and Blu-ray player makes use of the DTS Hd master Audio for my 4.1 system.

Associate
Networked backups mostly - I don't want to lose data.

When I need to stream data, it's also convenient instead of having it to disk - it's archived.

Soldato
1 Netflix/Youtube,Amazon
2 Freesat Tuner/recorder.
3 CCTV Hkvision, backup system for recording when main CCTV pc is down.
4 CCTV to see if I need to answer the front door lol.
5. 1080p gaming (mostly assassin creeds, gta 5, Lego 2 player and games that play nice on a 360 wireless controller)
6. Kodi and Blu-ray player makes use of the DTS Hd master Audio for my 4.1 system.
How do you hook up the freesat, i am interested in ditching sky but want to record. If i can build pc rather then buying dedicated recorder that be great.

Soldato
As i only have itx board, i had to resort to a usb box Hauppauge Nova HD USB. It has a wintv app included in the software, which alows you to record your program. It's not the best but as it only has 1 tuner and 1080i not 1080p. There are better twin tuner pcie cards out there but I don't watch a lot of broadcast tv. If anything the freeview hd dongles are just as capable if you live in a good reception area.

Associate
My HTPC, mentioned earlier in this thread;

IMG_6836_zps35679bc0.jpg

IMG_6830_zps84ffe971.jpg

Back
Top Bottom