Your pièce de résistance

Soldato
What's your pièce de résistance, both as a day-to-day meal and a special?

My day-to-day would be a linguine with pancetta, courgettes and a white sauce with parmesan.

My special occasion/guest meal would probably be a pulled pork bap with coleslaw and wedges, or a paella for a more cutlery-friendly dish.

Oh and by day-to-day I mean something that you cook a couple of times a week, doesn't cost a lot, and you just do it for you and your other half as a normal meal.

Soldato
Special i make Risotto or a Gordan Ramsey recipe. Its Duck with red wine sauce and garlic pak choi. Its delish!

On a day to dayish, has to be sausage and creamed mash with onion gravy or spag ball. Hmm Mmm..

Soldato
Day-to-day is my Parpadelle con ragu. Make the pasta from scratch and then a pork/veal ragu. I tend to make both the pasta and sauce up in big batches and then freeze both in portions. I was amazed how well pasta dough takes to freezing actually.

My special I would probably make every day if it weren't for the calories so it only comes out once in a while. Tiramisu - its not that hard to make but a bit of a faff with the recipie I use because I have to go through a lot of bowls.

Both recipies are passed down through family rather than cookbooks.

Soldato
Regular - a good carbonara/home made chilli

Special - Sirlon/Fillet Steak with Gratin Dauphinois and honey glazed roasted veg.

Soldato
Daily - Fish Pie (Jamie Oliver recipe). It is quite complex as there are a number of elements to be done at the same time but it is extra special. I try and do it once a week, but it is quite fattening.

Special - Pakistani Goat Curry with potatoes (Madhur Jaffrey Recipe). Takes around 5 hours from start to finish and stinks out the house but really is sublime.

Soldato
All sound very tasty.

I tend to try and expand my reportoire constantly so I dont often repeat dishes more than once a month.

But for weekdays though, well I cooked a chicken korma last night which the misses lapped up! I like my kormas to be quite spicy but offset by the creamyness so there is always a good kick. All made from scratch using fresh produce, with toasted almonds on top and served with home made garlic bread :)

For weekends me and the misses like to do something special. It could be anything from a lamb shanks with red wine and rosemary reduction, confit potatoes and roast seasonal veg, to halibut on a butterbean, chorisio and scotch stew, to lobster thermidore.

We love food :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Daily - Fish Pie (Jamie Oliver recipe). It is quite complex as there are a number of elements to be done at the same time but it is extra special. I try and do it once a week, but it is quite fattening.

Special - Pakistani Goat Curry with potatoes (Madhur Jaffrey Recipe). Takes around 5 hours from start to finish and stinks out the house but really is sublime.

Huh... :confused: what about the beans on toast?

:p

Soldato
I try to keep my "signature dishes" as simple as possible so I can make them in the week too. Chilli con carne, spag bol, jerk chicken and a couple of curry recipes are easily made in large quantities at the start of the week and can be eaten either as awesome tasty lunches to make your co-workers jealous or as dinner for a few nights.

Food in a real hurry has to be either spaghetti carbonara or chicken kadhai (Madhur Jaffrey).

Easy entertaining could be either jerk chicken, rice and pea, fajitas with freshly made guacamole or a lamb rogan josh.

Tried my first boeuf en croute tonight which was a spectacular success, so tasty! I will definitely make a larger version in the near future for a dinner party.

Soldato
Huh... :confused: what about the beans on toast?

:p

**** off. :p

Have a recipe and any tips as to where to buy goat?

I found the exact recipe online - http://whattocooktoday.com/pakistani-goat-curry.html

As for the Goat, I only managed to get it twice when a local butcher had it in. Tastes just as good with lamb and I would imagine beef as well. You can reduce the cooking time a bit as well as Goat is tougher meat.

It does not look like much, but I can assure you the flavour is divine. I just serve it as it is sometimes with a chapati or naan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom