Your thoughts on new 1080p gaming build?

Associate
Hello,
I'm looking to build a new PC for gaming. I'm happy with 1080p resolution but keen to have reasonable FPS and Freesync. I'm not looking to play competitive online shooters etc. so don't need massive FPS however.
What are your thoughts on this build and is there anything I've forgotten? Thanks in advance.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,330.39 (includes shipping: £22.50)​

Associate
It is looking like the 590 and a bundle of three games is being released on thursday at 'black friday' pricing.

Take any advice you can get on your build, but if you can wait you may be able to get a 590 instead of a 580 for around 250.

Of course it is only speculation until it happens.

Soldato
I'm going to assume that your budget is fairly flexible, there are areas here where you can save a little bit of money like the OS, use it unregistered for a while if you need to, you can get genuine keys for as low as £15 on some auction sites etc. Though don't buy grey software, it may get switched off in the future.

Change out the monitor if you want to save some more cash but even if you don't want to do competitive games, you'll get more out of the gpu with a 144mhz monitor. I've picked the gigabyte bundle as the 8086k is a great gaming processor and at 1080p you're definitely more cpu bound, you get a free SSD and the gigabyte ram and boards are solid with UK RMA if anything goes wrong. You also get a ton of free software, some decent games etc.

The chips do run pretty hot though so I've picked some decent thermal paste and a good cpu cooler, the extra fans, because the case doesn't come with any and the silent wings 3 fans are the dogs doodahs! 3 for intake at the side, 2 up top for exhaust. Don't skimp out on your psu, the seasonics are amazing and come with a 12 year warranty I think. Keyboard and mouse I picked are much better quality too and should last you years.

Someone will no doubt come up with a better build but yeah, I think it's pretty solid.

ODE
Total: £1,872.10 (includes shipping: £15.30)​

Soldato
Hello,
I'm looking to build a new PC for gaming. I'm happy with 1080p resolution but keen to have reasonable FPS and Freesync. I'm not looking to play competitive online shooters etc. so don't need massive FPS however.
What are your thoughts on this build and is there anything I've forgotten? Thanks in advance.

Total: £1,330.39 (includes shipping: £22.50)

A few things i would swap out.

Ram is cheaper and still fast. The Armor cards are not that great. I would take the cheaper Powercolor one. Swapped out the psu for a semi modular 550W. Will make cable management a bit easier and 550W is enough for your build. Also changed the SSD to the very good Crucial MX500. Hang back until Black Friday though as mentioned above, as there are supposedly some good deals from AMD.

Total: £480.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Soldato
hold out for Thursday 2pm.

rx 580 is place holder, will either be cheaper or swap for rx 590

Total: £1,365.11 (includes shipping: £15.30)​

intel will give the faster FPS at 1080p. know your not after ground breaking FPS, but you'll see 10+ fps increase if both ryzen and intel left at stock at stock. Raise 9600k to 5.1ghz and gap will increase

Associate
OP
Thank you for the comments and suggestions.
I'll certainly wait for the RX590. For the monitor I wanted flat (not curved) and 144hz Freesync. I thought I'd found something suitable but nobody seems to like that one?!
Is Intel the best way to go then? So many of the build suggestions on here are for Ryzen 5 but suggestions here are both Core i5....

Soldato
Thank you for the comments and suggestions.
I'll certainly wait for the RX590. For the monitor I wanted flat (not curved) and 144hz Freesync. I thought I'd found something suitable but nobody seems to like that one?!
Is Intel the best way to go then? So many of the build suggestions on here are for Ryzen 5 but suggestions here are both Core i5....

If you don't want a curved screen then I guess it is ok. You will have slightly less colour reproduction and viewing angles than you would with VA. Not a dealbreaker though.

At 1080p Intel is usually faster at higher refresh rates with a gpu that can push 144fps. With an RX 580/590 then probably not much difference as you won't be hitting that in most games anyway unless you turn settings down.

Soldato
I think AOC do a flat version , same price or slightly cheaper as well as Acer

Ryzen damn good value ! Intel pumps the FPS at 1080p, specially if your upgrade GPU down the line but no the monitor

Back
Top Bottom