Your Top Five Games of this Generation!?

Associate
COD: World at War
COD: Modern Warfare 2
COD: Black Ops
Thats it. All of games (except the aforementioned) are inferior junk with rubbish visuals. Uncharted 2 or MGS4 had nothing on Modern Warfare 2's excellent blend of flawless graphics,technology, gameplay and wonderful community :p

Soldato
OP
Thought I'd bump this in case anyone wanted to make any alterations! I felt like I had to add in Dark Souls. So my top five would now be;

1: Deadly Premonition.
2: Heavy Rain
3: Dark Souls (New)
4: Alpha Protocol
5: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 (New)

Just missed the top 5; Mortal Kombat, Fallout 3 & Alan Wake.

Last edited:
Soldato
Top 4

Dark Souls
Demons Souls
Heavy Rain
Red Dead Redemption (cant believe i sold it)

nothing else got into that Elite bracket for me

games which were good

Valykria Chronicles good, Mass Effect 2 good, Deus EX HR good, Alpha Protocol kinda good but buggy. Batman AA thought was ok vv good combat but didnt like the 'collect em up ish nature' Assassins creed 2 seemed a good game but blimey i'd need to sign my life away to finish it

though i havent played LA Noir or Batman Arkham City just got them right now on rental though.

Associate
This is hard..

Cod4 - class game single player and multi. I wish no other came after cuz it was pretty good competetively to.
GTAIV- was awesome, all gta's really.
Gears of war- imo one of tyhe best shooters, i even enjoy 3, just the feel of it.
halo 2 - big team battles were so awesome.
saints row 1- dont think ive had as much fun as that online multiplayer, the gang rivalry back then was fun, although immature, and online eventually got plagued by hackers, glitches etc.. its a shame they ruined multiplayer in the future versions

ive listed just console games i play since its in the console section... otherwise itd be different with pc titles.!

Associate
Portal 2
Heavy Rain
Mass Effect 1
Halo 3
Call of Duty 4

To be honest, if this was "ever released on 360/PS3/Wii" then only one would be a certainty in my top 10. And the only other, Heavy rain would be 10th or not on, I doubt it wouldn't be on the list.
Game quality has stagnated so much recently it's appalling - on every platform. Portal 2 and Portal are the only two titles that actually had innovation for consoles really, at least in my eyes.

Soldato
Fallout 3 stands out by a mile for me. I love the story and the setting so much that I'm willing to overlook the dire game mechanics :p Spent more time on this game than any other.

Also:
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock
Uncharted 2
Bayonetta

Need to slightly alter mine to:

1. Fallout 3
2. Bioshock
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Bayonetta
5. Borderlands

I'm almost tempted to put Super Stardust Delta on there :p I've enjoyed that game so much after getting the Vita. So maybe not a "top five game" but still a game I have spent a lot of time playing.

Associate
Fallout 3
Mass Effect
Call of Duty 4
Red Dead Redemption
Uncharted 2

Looking at these lists of games makes me appreciate just how long this generation has been around, most of the games listed i played so long ago they no longer crossed my mind when thinking of current gen games.

On the plus side, it also makes me appreciate that there have been a fair few bloody good games this generation.

Soldato
Left 4 Dead - It really brought something new to multiplayer gameplay in a FPS, you had to work together with your team or you just won't survive. That becomes even more the case when you play the competitive mode against another team. This is the game I've put the most amount of hours in to playing online with my real life friends, it was a lot of fun.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - It's odd to think it's almost four years ago since it was released now and I realise that it is a game that not everyone loves, but it is a truly cinematic game. I bought a PS3 for it.

Mass Effect 2 - Mass Effect was a great game, bringing so much with it's own Sci-Fi world to rival the scale of Star Wars and the choices you could make gave it so much depth. Mass Effect 2 took the game and expanded on it so much further, brilliant game.

Assassin's Creed 2 - The first game was really unique, but it suffered because it was too repetitive, with not enough variation in what you actually did and the places you went. The sequel though was amazing, they created a fantastic revenge story with arguably one of the best realised video games characters ever in Ezio, the locations are varied and represent real places and they worked on making the missions much more diverse and interesting.

Red Dead Redemption - Great story and the scale of the game is amazing. It was a new direction for the sandbox style game and they worked on making it far more interesting than GTA was.

Other games I think deserve a mention:

Gears of War - Another franchise that brought great cooperative and multiplayer and a cinematic single player experience. Although it might not have been the true first game to do it, it is significant for bringing the third person cover system to the forefront.

Battlefield/COD - Just lumping them together, but they both provide an enjoyable series of games and multiplayer which is good fun, though some people take it a little too seriously.

Fallout/Skyrim - Huge scale to these games and is remarkable what they've managed to achieve, there is pretty much to much to do!

I'd also like to say that both Alan Wake and LA Noire were very innovative games, but they were both flawed and somewhat repetitive. If they make sequels, I'm sure they will improve on their problems.

Associate
1. Uncharted 2
2. Portal 1/2
3. Valkyria Chronicles
4. Mass Effect 1-3
5. Bioshock

Those are the games that i think i'll still have fond memories of 10 years down the line.

Many more games that i can say that i've enjoyed buit i can't really see them as this generations classics.

Back
Top Bottom