YouTube Content Creators

Thread bump!

So tonight I am streaming again for the first time since February I believe, and I am a little nervous. I have tested all the things that I think can go wrong, but new house, new room, slight change in setup...yep - something could go wrong.

Also thinking about how many "regular viewers" that I used to have will pop in, or if they have fled and I need to start building my audience again.

I started filming my climbing last year mainly to help analyse my technique, then found a lot of the climbs round me were missing beta videos, so chucked a channel together and started recording things properly in April.

Got a decent bit of footage up now, and bumped my kit to get really quite decent 4k vids now. Dabbled with chucking a few quid at promotion to see how that works.

Did my first short today, which is a pain in the arse! Still, good to practice being in front of camera. Got some kit reviews to start recording when the winter weather arrives.

Related question....how the hell do you delete a bit of text in a Youtube Short, in the mobile app? I made a typo on one and eventually gave up figuring out how to fix it.....

I've never made a short directly in app before so unfortunately I couldn't tell you
I cut it together in DaVinci Resolve, but read somewhere that some people reported better views when published through the app versus uploading on desktop? So copied it to my phone and uploaded there.

Immediately gets loads more traffic than regular videos, for sure.

I've dabbled with promoting videos. Just set a £5 budget to promote one or two videos......

Not sure it handles these low amounts well. For instance, one video I put a total budget of £5 to promote for a few days. It's now saying 'Total Cost £15.95', and also stating that 'You won't pay more than the total budget'.....so I'm getting promotion on the cheap?

Digging through my google payments info, it does seem to be the case. I'm getting billed the £5 but the promotion is continuing. Odd.

Oh and mods, could we have an exception on the promotion rule on just this thread? It would be nice to look at other people's stuff for discussion without having to play a game of google hide and seek :D

Last edited:
I've been having some fun with short form lately. It's my mission at the moment to build those up as much as possible. My link to YT is there as well, which can trickle over, but audience is audience.

I had been slowly growing on tiktok over the year and went from 3 followers to about 8200 until last week and I had a massive surge. I've had over 400k views in the last week and gained over 11k followers. I'm at 19.9k now, will probably tick over to 20k this week.
Same with instagram but not at all as aggressive :p I'm up to over 7500 on there now from about 6700.

I'm heading off on my arctic trek adventure in a couple of weeks, which I'm looking forward to doing, and now I have a larger audience I'm having more people reach out to meet along the way! Which I love.

I've now got sponsors for my biltong through Runder, lights for the volvo through Valo Store, roof tent from young hunter, a company is potentially sending me tyres for the volvo as well and tbf I haven't really been concentrating a lot at all on company outreach.

My RX7 is on it's way to me at the moment, will arrive in the country first week of November which will be some more lovely content to do. I've been chatting with Mazda EU social team about collaborating on content as they'd like to share some of my stuff, which will be nice. HKS are providing me with top of the range coilovers, exhaust, filters and plugs for the RX7 and I'm currently chatting with other companies along the way for the road to rotary next year. That will start to come together more in the new year.

Passing the 10k mark on tiktok means I'm monetized now, but it's a low RPM, but it's something! More than nothing haha but for me I'll look at other ways to try and monetize to be able to support some of my stupid builds and adventures with a larger audience. Hitting that 100k will be a nice next goal on tiktok... then the milly! I know I can do it.

I have some absolute banger ideas for adventures. One with the taxi, one with some mates and minis, one across the US, one down to Bosnia, another one to Russia which leads to another mental collaboration with a company. Another one with the volvo, after beefing it up a bit more!

Also have a couple of build ideas for cars I want to add to the collection, which I'm working on at the moment. One involves a bit of a road trip!

I would LOVE to have it so I could pay someone to film and edit long form for me. I can manage the short form, but long form is such an extra commitment when I'm working on stuff. You have to really plan it and it's far less organic than short form.

Let's see how I can manage to do it for Arctic Trek and manage the both at the same time! That'll be a good test anyway.

It's honestly been a bit of a mad time, with all of this and working on some of the other things I'm building product wise I don't think I've ever been so busy... now it's nearing that time to start to try and get it to pay for itself :cry: I committed a lot investing in the road to rotary, so lets see if I can also drive my new audience to that content too.

Learnt a lot. Having a lot of fun. Met some amazing people! The journey is fun :D

So you're out-TopGearing Hammond,May and Pillock? Cool.

The financial model with short form is that you constant engagement, favours the quick buck RoI market products that won't be hear in a year's time. Longform, people will wait or pick it up far later hence appeals to more established long term products.
Shortform for Christmas, Longform for a decade. Different sponsors and engagement I'd expect.

Last edited:
The financial model with short form is that you constant engagement, favours the quick buck RoI market products that won't be hear in a year's time. Longform, people will wait or pick it up far later hence appeals to more established long term products.
Shortform for Christmas, Longform for a decade. Different sponsors and engagement I'd expect.
Not really the case tbf.
Might have been, but I have videos from the beginning of the year that people watch now. I also have playlists of my content on my profile that people go through. It's far from where it used to be. Although it's called short form, I have some videos 2,3,5, 8 and one over 10mins talking about some things. It's changed a lot.
Instagram and tiktok have the bonus of the reach. You have the potential ability to reach a new audience every single video. Which is great for new people and growing your audience. YouTube is where people keep coming back as they want more from you in that way.

Filming them is very different as well. Tiktok/insta is far more casual, can be quickly done, answering questions with videos, giving updates, showing people stuff, taking them along a longer journey with many videos. It used to all be about over-edited videos, but now it's far more about the person and a more authentic view point than crazy edits.
YouTube is more like a TV show. You want to take people along in each episode, which takes more work to do over something like that, than a shorter video.

It is a forever changing landscape really, it's changed since I started and no doubt will continue to do so. I see tiktok and instagram as channels to draw people in who want to sit down and watch a tv show about your adventures etc. with the added ability for them to then know a bit more about you and feel they have a bit more of a connection with it and you.

Back
Top Bottom