Zen 3 ram CL limitations?

Associate
Ok, so im in the market for a 32gb dual channel kit for my laptop. 5800H CPU, I am aware there is no XMP. The lower the CL the better the memory. Thing is there are so many sticks to go at. I read Kingston has the fastest sodimms at the moment, but there are so many variants it is a pain.
Then comes people saying it wont run any better because the laptop itself has a set CL so even if I got a good pair, it may not be any faster because my laptop will limit it?

But i have also seen the odd videos of people using better CL timings on none XMP machine and actually getting boosts in performance too.

My head spins at all the contradictions when trying to find the best ram for this laptop. Could some legend please point me in the direction of the best 3200mhz ram for me?

The corsair vengeance seems a top contender, but apparently the hyper x impact is faster? Then there's fury impact... and all the rest. Price aside, I just want to get the best I can so I dont need to touch it again. Please and thank you.

Associate
HyperX Impact and Fury Impact are the same thing.
The HyperX brand was owned by Kingston, who sold both memory and peripherals under that brand. But Kingston have now sold the brand and peripherals business to HP and so have had to re-brand the memory products.

XMP profiles are a set of predefined memory overclocking settings provided by a memory manufacturer. This makes it much easier for a person to get a good, stable memory overclock without having to do any of the work it would otherwise take.
Memory can be overclocked without applying these predefined values, but that relies on the manufacturer making overclocking settings available oh that machine.
So that will be why some people can overclock without XMP.

Be careful when looking at Crucial or Corsair 3200 SODIMM memory.
They both sell 3200 memory that run natively at 3200 and memory that overclocks to 3200. Other brands may do this as well.
I've seen quite a few people who were caught out when they didn't do their homework and bought what they thought was native 3200 CL16 memory, but it was actually 2666 CL16 that overclocks to 3200 using XMP.
So you should double-check the part number of what ever you buy before you pay for it.

Back
Top Bottom