ZenWalk Dream Linux Ubuntu

Associate
Thanks for the fantastic replies guys (especially AvP2 - very important that one :D )

At the moment I have an X1650pro, but I plan to put this in my 2nd back up PC and update to a better one on my main PC. I was going to stick with ATI (3850 if the prices every come down!) but if it means hassle with Linux then I shall look into Nvidia.

I need to do research into how well Photoshop and Website Design programmes run on it aswell.

Soldato
OP
Am thinking about Linux and having checked Distrowatch am still blown away by choice. I'd like a Linux system that's good for digital art and video editing - Dreamlinux has been recommended.

Is Linux able to support all hardware such as ATI graphics cards, wireless dongles, digital cameras etc?

Have also heard that it's no use for games - not that I play much, Aliens v Predator only to be exact :D

Hi

Still haven't check out dreamlinux yet - so busy will do it tomorrow- but I can suggest for your requirements http://www.dynebolic.org/ dyne:bolic which I have tried and while maybe not convential maye serve you very well, also woorth checking out are 64 Studio, and maybe Ubuntu Studio, which as I understand it is just Ubuntu with a slightly different kernel , and preselected video/gfx/sound apps installed.

Linux supports a very large amount of hardware, but still there are things that don't work right. When it comes to it you will usually find a website dedicated to the effort behind hardware to make things work, eg. linuxtv.org, linux.bytesex.org for TV cards, and xsane.org for scanners. Check these places to know if your hardware will work. There are site like these for all sorts of hardware.

Somebody else gave you a good anser for your AvP2 question..

HTH

Back
Top Bottom