Zenwalk

Associate
No first hand experience ( I'm a newcomer to Linux ) but it looks like a interesting distro. Would you say based around the current Ubuntu 10.4 ?

Let us know how you get on? I'm looking for something foolproof for the other half!!!! That I can set up and she can't "fiddle" with!!! :)

Suspended
OP
No first hand experience ( I'm a newcomer to Linux ) but it looks like a interesting distro. Would you say based around the current Ubuntu 10.4 ?

Let us know how you get on? I'm looking for something foolproof for the other half!!!! That I can set up and she can't "fiddle" with!!! :)

Had you thought about trying Debian? That's about as stable as they come, and as Ubuntu is based on Debian, using the repositories etc. is exactly the same :)

Associate
Had you thought about trying Debian? That's about as stable as they come, and as Ubuntu is based on Debian, using the repositories etc. is exactly the same :)

I'm trying out 10.4 on my own laptop ( dual boot at the mo ) and I use the Linux OS 95% of the time so it's only a matter of time before I go Linux full time on that one.

I've also just built a standalone desktop out of cheap parts, with NVidia GPU... I'm learning fast!!...lol, to really have a in depth play with it.

It's a unabashed experiment, play and break rig so if it all goes terribly wrong my "Gaming Baby" will survive!!!

The "trouble and strife" has Vista on her laptop and I'm tring to find something "Woman Proof" (my apologises to all that may take offence but, if you knew her you would understand.... ) to replace it. Hence my interest in this Zenwalk that you mentioned.

Soldato
I'm trying out 10.4 on my own laptop ( dual boot at the mo ) and I use the Linux OS 95% of the time so it's only a matter of time before I go Linux full time on that one.

I've also just built a standalone desktop out of cheap parts, with NVidia GPU... I'm learning fast!!...lol, to really have a in depth play with it.

It's a unabashed experiment, play and break rig so if it all goes terribly wrong my "Gaming Baby" will survive!!!

The "trouble and strife" has Vista on her laptop and I'm tring to find something "Woman Proof" (my apologises to all that may take offence but, if you knew her you would understand.... ) to replace it. Hence my interest in this Zenwalk that you mentioned.

Opensuse KDE or Kubuntu, make it look like vista, use firefox and run MS office over wine if needs be.

Suspended
OP
Is Zenwalk not based on Slackware..... I tried it a few years ago but have not been back, I don't think there was a specific reason.

Yes, it is.

I have the latest version of Slackware (13.1), but haven't tried it yet. I used to use Ubuntu exclusively, but 10.04 was buggy as ****, so I've been using #!CrunchBang since then.

Open Box is the best WM bar none :)

Back
Top Bottom