Zetec or Ghia.... what's the real difference?

Associate
Hi

I have decided that I want a mk1 Ford Focus for my first car. I did have plans for a more fun RWD powerful car, but insurance prices say otherwise... so ill wait a few years first.
In the meantime I want either a 1.8 or 2.0L focus which i should be able to pick up in good nick for around £2000. The only problem is that the 2.0 is harder to find and I have mostly found them in ghia rather then zetec. I assume both cars have the same engine, but I dont know about other things such as suspension

So (tl;dr) What are the main differences between the ghia and zetec in terms of performance? or is the changes only on the inside?

Soldato
Zetec models have slightly stiffer sportier suspension, if I recall, and I think that's the only performance difference. There's a great website here which outlines the specifications of the different models.

Bat

Bat

Associate
IMO the 1.8 Zetec is a far better car than the 2.0 Ghia. The 1.8 engine is a lovely drive and the performance difference between the two is negligible.

Also you get all the horrible fake wood with the Ghia.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the input guys!

I would like the 2.0l Zetec ESP, but I cant find one for the right price and with the amount of mileage. I think i'll settle for the 1.8 Zetec. I've seen a few zetec collections which look fairly nice. :)

Soldato
I looked at Foci a while back and the 2.0 really wasnt very powerful at all - it wasnt much different to drive than the 1.6 but drank much more fuel. The difference was only really noticeable on the motorway and if you spend a lot of time there, a mundano is the better car anyway.

I think the zetec has cloth seats instead of the nasty velour in the ghia as well as what has already been mentioned

Soldato
There's not a lot that the Ghia models have that you couldn't retrofit to the Zetec - variable speed wipers, trip computer, upgraded stereo and speakers, colour-coded trim, etc. And with the Zetec you get slightly firmer 'sports' suspension and seats that have noticeable extra support where it matters most.

The Ghia models all feel a bit 'Dadsy' if you ask me. Go for a nice little Zetec and add whatever bits you feel necessary to make the car your own.

Permabanned
definitely go for the zetec as said above the ghia models are very dasy :)
what is your budget as the 2.0 zetec esp models are really quite good you know

Soldato
Had the 2.0 Zetec ESP, 03 plate. 40K. What a car ^_^

As you said though, they're an extremely rare find in good nick.

The 1.8 has the power of the 1.6 with the economy of the 2.0, i'd steer clear of it tbh.

Bat

Bat

Associate
The 1.8 has the power of the 1.6 with the economy of the 2.0, i'd steer clear of it tbh.

With respect that's not really accurate. The 1.8 feels considerably more powerful than the 1.6. The 2.0 gets poorer MPG without giving any more performance bar top end speed.

I have driven all three variants and the 1.8 was definitely the most fun IMO.

Permabanned
With respect that's not really accurate. The 1.8 feels considerably more powerful than the 1.6. The 2.0 gets poorer MPG without giving any more performance bar top end speed.

I have driven all three variants and the 1.8 was definitely the most fun IMO.

Hm conflicts with my experiences really ? I have owned 8 focuses now in total all form brand new , Started with 2 1.6's then a 1.8, then had 2 x 2.0 , moved onto st170 now on my second st2. phew I hadnt thought about that before really :).
Anyway 1.6's are best left alone if you want any sort of performance. the 1.8 I had seemed pretty sluggish to be honest didnt like and didnt keep long. the 2.0 offered good blend of performance / economy for me and would be my choice for you

Permabanned
Looking at the figures for both engines (1.8 & 2.0) there isnt really a great deal in it
But My opinion is that in real world driving you can tell the difference

Engine Size 1796 cc
0-60 mph 9.9 s
Power Output 113 bhp
Torque 160 Nm 118 lb-ft
Top Speed 123 mph

Engine Size 1989 cc
0-60 mph 8.9 s
Power Output 128 bhp
Torque 178 Nm 131 lb-ft
Top Speed 125 mph

Last edited:

Bat

Bat

Associate
Hm conflicts with my experiences really ? I have owned 8 focuses now in total all form brand new , Started with 2 1.6's then a 1.8, then had 2 x 2.0 , moved onto st170 now on my second st2. phew I hadnt thought about that before really :).
Anyway 1.6's are best left alone if you want any sort of performance. the 1.8 I had seemed pretty sluggish to be honest didnt like and didnt keep long. the 2.0 offered good blend of performance / economy for me and would be my choice for you

Fair enough. I found the 1.8 more lively and it liked to be revved whereas the 2.0 seemed about as quick but more of a lazy drive.

Soldato
A Zetec w/ Climate Pack (common as muck) will have Aircon and Heated glass so dont let those things alone sway you to a 2.0, can find them easily in a 1.8

Back
Top Bottom