• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zotac GTX 1080TI AMP Edition - Temperatures to hot?

Associate
Hello and good evening everyone.

Just wanted to ask a quick question regarding my graphics card temperatures as they seem high, but I am a novice overall so thought I would double check.

The card is the Zotac GTX 1080TI AMP Edition.

Temperatures at idle on about 75% afterburner fan curve are around 44-45C, and when gaming or benchmarking it goes to around 80-85C.

Now the part I am not sure of, it is currently summer in the United Kingdom, and we are now getting around 25-30c each day, with my room anywhere from 22C-25C. So I realise the hotter room can effect the pc temperatures, but thought I would double check if this is a concern.

I am using the Corsair 500D Obsidian case (Latest version), and have 1 outtake fan at the rear of the case, 3 intake fans at the front and then the Corsair h115i Pro radiator at the top which I believe is intake also. Just to give you guys a idea of air flow, not to sure if this is a good set up or bad really.

Any help appreciated

cheers

Caporegime
No help unfortunately but seen a number of threads on here with the AMP 980Tis running hot, including mine which gets up to 80-85 under load. I've tried reapplying the thermal paste to no avail. Think they just run hot.

Associate
Its the weather not helping for sure, but I wouldn't have intake fans on top of the case, that would just be blowing hot air back into the case, top fans "should" always exhaust, as hot air rises etc etc.

Associate
The non extreme version of the AMP's cooler is just not that great to be honest. The Mrs and I had AMP 1080s and the constant running at 83-85c really limited the boost. Be aware that Zotac are one of the vendors who void your warranty if you replace the TIM.

All you can really do is try and improve the extraction of hot air from your case.

Associate
GPUs are usually always running hotter than the ambient temp anyway, like 30c+. So 22c vs 25c really doesn't make a difference at idle, its still colder air being blown over it. It will however have to run the fans a little harder when under load as you have less cool air to start with.

Associate
Could be a number of factors mate. I'm no expert on this matter. There are various diagrams floating around the web with more detailed info on airflow and ideal solutions.
What type of fans are you using and how much air do they push? are they PWM, can you can you adjust the RPM of them so they push more air in? How long have you had the card? is it possible it it has dust build up inside, how often do you clean your case and the fans?

Surely It couldn't hurt to have your rad fans blowing outwards to try? I imagine this could affect your CPU temps. But at least see if it helps reduce your temps.

I have a EVGA GTX908ti SC, with pretty shabby air cooling really. 1 x 140mm Pushing air into the case 3 x Apache 120's on the top of the case and a corsair H80 extracting, all housed within a Corsair Obsidian 800D.
I ramp the case fans up via the BIOS.

I usually ramp my cards fan up to 80-90% when gaming and it hits about 55-65oc.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the replies all.

Should I perhaps try then having the 2 radiator fans as exhaust rather than intake?, is my 1 Exhaust and 5 intake bad as a set up or is it relatively fine?

Caporegime
Good airflow is def needed for the Ti's in this weather, I think having the H115i on intake isn't helping things. Switch it around imo, better for your CPU temp to be up a couple of degrees and the gfx card down a lot more imo. The 500D page pretty much recommends it too.

Associate
I have a Zotac GeForce GTX 1080Ti AMP Extreme Spectre RGB and I suggest using FireStorm instead of Afterburner because it allows to set the fans to spin even when idle so the card doesn't have a temp spike when you put it under sudden load.

Soldato
When do the 1080ti's start to throttle?
GPU Boost 3.0 has stepped boost ranges, so it will allow higher and higher boost blocks all the way down to 32°C, in roughly 10° ranges. So cooler is always better even below 50. Pretty frustrating, even on water, to always feel it could be lower.

I believe the actual thermal throttling temperature is a slider in Afterburner, and can go up to 93°C.

Associate
Its the weather not helping for sure, but I wouldn't have intake fans on top of the case, that would just be blowing hot air back into the case, top fans "should" always exhaust, as hot air rises etc etc.

I don't think there is any one solution that applies in all situations. It certainly doesn't hurt to go with the natural flow of the air ( ie, upwards ) but on the other hand it's perfectly OK to run the air the other way given special circumstances.

Good airflow is def needed for the Ti's in this weather, I think having the H115i on intake isn't helping things. Switch it around imo, better for your CPU temp to be up a couple of degrees and the gfx card down a lot more imo. The 500D page pretty much recommends it too.

The graphics card is producing by far and away the most heat so switching the H115i to exhaust will heat up your CPU no end. You aren't talking a couple of degrees here you are probably talking as much as 10.

Still that may be what OP wants.

I think the first thing I would do here is try operating the PC without it's side cover. It the problem is the same then it's not airflow in to the case that's the problem.

If there is a problem with airflow I would look in to more speeding up the front fans or perhaps even replacing them. What I tend to do is control the front fans to GPU temperature rather than CPU temperature. Having low or fixed speed case fans is mostly fine until the graphics card really starts to pump out tons of heat. And a ti surely does pump out a ton of heat.

Most fan profiles for graphics cards tend to be a balanced performance, a compromise between noise and temperature. You could change that using Afterburner to something more aggressive on the cooling side if you wish.

I find that provided your PC is well ventilated that the ambient temperature shouldn't really make that much different to the running temperatures. Sure it's going to be a bit hotter, but not so you need a fire extinguisher handy. Certainly 80 degrees plus I would take some action, but then I am a temperature nut!

Associate
I had similar thread late last year regarding my 1080 AMP (not ti). Conclusion was the cooler on them sucks, a bit of googling and you'll find many other complaints. I replaced the TIM on mine and it made zero difference. I set the max power draw in afterburner to 95% ( i think, can check later) which helped slightly without effecting performance.

Soldato
I've got the evga 1080Ti FTW3 (clocked higher than a standard 1080Ti) and it gets up to 74C while gaming, and that's playing Assassin's Creed which also works the cpu (4790k) up to about the same temp, so quite a bit of heat.
I'm not too worried as the gpu doesn't seem to throttle and it's being ran at close to 100% with all the graphics turned up :D It's not overclocked at all, just running at stock.

I don't use any program to alter the fan curve as Evga's precision software is very buggy, but I do have the gpu set to use it's secondary bios which uses a slightly more aggressive curve than the (too quiet) stock curve. It's a good compromise between noise and temp.

Mick

Associate
OP
Cheers for the comments all, appreciate it.

I think for the most part, it is just the 1080Ti naturally being hot and the weather definitely not helping. It is very warm overall in my room recently.

And the rest of the components according to software is looking fine temps wise.

Back
Top Bottom