Overclocking an i7 920 D0 - 4.7GHz

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Hey rjkoneill,

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but are you saying you toasted a £500 of hardware? :eek:

yes - unfortunatly the vrm's blew on my p6t deluxe

taking out my £200 ram and my £250 chip

so thats a grand total of around £700 worth of top end hardware that got RMA'd back to intel/asus/corsair

good because it meant i could get a D0 920 as a replacement

bad because it meant i was without my PC until the issue was sorted

Man of Honour
It's the base clock i.e the core i7 equivalent to the fsb.

Changing the BCLK frequency also changes the uncore components such as the QPI (Quick path interconnect) which is the direct replacement for the FSB. Increasing/decreasing the baseclock also increase the memory controller frequency too (much the same as the FSB did in the past).

For all intents and purposes tho you can consider the bclk to be the FSB when overclocking as it acts the same way...even though it's not really the fsb ;).

Nice clock Rich btw;)

Soldato
now that is sweet overclocking my friend :D I would just be happy with about 4.0GHz anyway...seeing as I am having to RMA the Deluxe V2 (which I hope will be replaced), in the meantime I will buy the P6T SE and see how that performs with the D0 stepping of the 920 (currently sitting on my shelf as we speak lol)...but well done on getting it to 4.66GHz :D

Soldato
Awesome results man.. I am glad that I decided to hang on for the D0 Stepping i7 CPU to become available...

I will be picking one up in another 2 weeks, to finish my i7 build.. I have got my x58 mobo (gigabyte EX58-UD5) and I have also got 6GB of Corsair Dominator 1600MHz RAM... I am really looking forward to finishing this rig!!!

Associate
That's a hell of an overclock - about 75% at the top end.

Any pics of your WCing etc?
Edit: Ignore that - I'm too thick to see the BUILD LOG in your sig :p

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
the thermochill triple is hung out of the back of my case atm

should be mounting it internally soon but it will require me to take my whole system apart :(

Associate
managed to get a 4GHz profile stable at 1.18v :eek:

Cool :cool: my D0 arrives tommorow :) But after failing to overclock my C0 could you please tell me what you changed the qpi voltage to? (I think its called that, its the other voltage that needs to be changed with cpu volt but I'm not sure of the name)
I have a p6t deluxe btw so does that mean bios settings have a different name?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Cool :cool: my D0 arrives tommorow :) But after failing to overclock my C0 could you please tell me what you changed the qpi voltage to? (I think its called that, its the other voltage that needs to be changed with cpu volt but I'm not sure of the name)
I have a p6t deluxe btw so does that mean bios settings have a different name?

i used to have that board - its fairly easy
what cooler are you using?

That's brilliant man! What load temps are you getting with that profile?

around 60'c max
its about the same temps as i get at 4.3ghz/1.28v whilst gaming

so pretty good as a nice 'failsafe' profile :D

Associate
if you have a D0 stepping CPU it'll be simple.
Mine is running @ 1.296v @ 4.2ghz

not tried for more as i already feel this is a massive clock from stock 2.66ghz

If I put the cpu voltage to that amount, then would I need to change anything else? Or would I only need to change stuff if I put the cpu voltage higher?
I am using 1600mhz patriot viper @ 1.65v btw. So would I be okay to put volt at 1.66? aas it doesn't let you do it at 1.65, although the mobo said that anything above 1.65 is dangerous?

Back
Top Bottom