Overclocking an i7 920 D0 - 4.7GHz

Soldato
surprisingly when I turn off HT, I was able to overclock the CPU to 4.2GHz. I tried it with 1.3v but it crashed before even reaching Windows. So I put it up again to 1.4v and it booted up fine. However, the temps are still high...just on idle I was seeing it over 50C. Either more lapping is needed or I need to buy a new HSF. I currently have the Noctua SE1366 NH-U12P which has also been lapped...but I am hoping I dont need to get a new HSF so I will lap the CPU more when my Deluxe V2 comes back. In the meantime I have put the CPU back to 4.0GHz but at least now I with HT turned off I can overclock more. So all in all not bad :D

Associate
To be honest I would be very happy with 4.0Ghz, even if there might be a little more headroom after that speed I wouldnt want to chance it, just in case it did decide to fail sooner, and I cant imagine many other people would want to go over that level on air cooling either, wven with the Noctua version.

I hope that he can get the speed running at 4.0 or maybe 4.1-4.2, then if I see a profile somewhere in the BIOS for it (not sure where the profiles would be) I would then select this and be one happy bunny, thats worth the money alone to get someone who knows what they are doing :D

Soldato
To be honest I would be very happy with 4.0Ghz, even if there might be a little more headroom after that speed I wouldnt want to chance it, just in case it did decide to fail sooner, and I cant imagine many other people would want to go over that level on air cooling either, wven with the Noctua version.

I hope that he can get the speed running at 4.0 or maybe 4.1-4.2, then if I see a profile somewhere in the BIOS for it (not sure where the profiles would be) I would then select this and be one happy bunny, thats worth the money alone to get someone who knows what they are doing :D

true true :D I am happy its at 4.0GHz just the temps that bother me a little thats all...

Associate
Im hoping that the temps are reasonable enough, but im sure that in experienced hands it will be well looked after. I wonder what level my CPU profile will be ready for me. I wonder if there will be a profile set for me for around 4.2, id be well happy if the experts think I can run at that speed at all times :D

Associate
I would never chance going that high, no matter what I wanted. I should be able to get a speed of 4.0ghz from what I have heard, and maybe as high as 4.2ghz, but never any further than this to prolong the life of my machine, and enjoy the fast speeds that this speed boost could provide

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
its ok for short bursts

its hardly going to impact intels rated 80+ year lifespan

in 50 years - the chip in my system will probably be in a landfill somewhere

Associate
Yeah thats true, will probably only last us all 5 years before we replace the whole thing, if that. My machine managed to stand the test of time, and is now looking forward to a long & happy retirement

Associate
i would need to check it out

if its on air i could probably get 3.8/4ghz depending on the cooler

if you go for watercooling with a double rad maybe 4.2

i would say go for air on a noctua cooler

that way its pretty certain

but remember - we have to offer support for the system so i would send it out at the standard 3.6/3.8 overclock with a profile for 4ghz :)

I placed my order for the full system yesterday. Have you had a chance to see how far my system will overclock before you start to encounter problems? Just wish to see how good my D0 stepping chip is going when you have been overclocking it, im very anxious and excited :D

Associate
My current settings:

CPU config: All disabled apart from HT and all cores on.
Turbo Modes: All disabled
Multi: 19
CPU Frequency: 200
QPI Freq: Full-Speed
QPI Data Rate: Auto
Uncore: 3600
Frequency: 1600
Command T1
RAM Timings: 8/8/8/21 (set to 16 but CPUZ says 21)/6/11/5/6/72
Clock Gen: Manual - PCEI 101

Voltage Config:

CPU: 1.184 (+.060)
VTT: 1.30
PLL: Auto
DRAM Volt: 1.64 (wont allow .65)
NB: Auto
SB: Auto
QPI/PCIE Pll 1.25v

Prime 95 Blend passed no errors after 40-45 mins of running, temps around 75-79. My uncore was higher at 3800 which caused BSOD within seconds of blend.

OCZ Reaper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-15000 (1866MHz) - can't get it higher than 800mhz at the moment.

Biostar mobo.

Anyway, 5 days of testing and endless forum reading and my first OC is starting to look stable :)

Associate
rjkoneill - How is the overclocking of my machine coming along, have you managed to push it as far as it will go, and if so how much?

Associate
It was built yesterday, and has been left on overnight for testing to make sure its stable before sending it out to me today for delivery tomorrow. I dont have my order number to hand right now, but my names Matthew Brougham if that helps?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
good news - your system is being dispatched now

i have saved you profiles for 4 overclocks
you can set these by going intoi the bios and selecting which one you need

you have the following:
  • 3.6GHz
  • 3.8GHz
  • 4.0GHz
  • 4.2GHz

the 4.2 is on the very edge though - it is stable but your cooler will struggle if you dont put your case fans on high settings, i would only suggest you use this for benchmarks etc

the 3.8/4ghz is probably the ones to go for for every day use

Vantage Runs [PhysX Disabled] :
STOCK SPEED
STOCKRUN-PHYSXOFF.jpg

3.6GHz
3600NOPHYSX.jpg

4.2GHz
4200.jpg

Here are the overclocks...
tried to get the voltages down as much as possible

3.6 stable
36stable.jpg

3.8 stable
36stable.jpg

4ghz stable
36stable.jpg

4.2GHz
42GHz.jpg

let me know if you have any questions :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
After all of your tests, I dont think I will have any questions at all, and I must thankyou for all of your hard work with all the overclocking you did along with settings 4 profiles for me. I think I will either use the 3.8 or the 4.0, but will probably lean more towards the 3.8, but its nice to know the speed boost is there if I need it.

Im going to be so happy with this machine, and will find it hard to sleep tonight with the excitement of the machine arriving tomorrow, have the afternoon off work, cant wait to rush back home :D

Associate
It does look like those 3 screens are exactly the same screenshot, but all still looks really cool. I started to feel really jealous of those screenshots until I realised its all mine tomorrow :D

Back
Top Bottom