Overclocking an i7 920 D0 - 4.7GHz

Soldato
If I put the cpu voltage to that amount, then would I need to change anything else? Or would I only need to change stuff if I put the cpu voltage higher?
I am using 1600mhz patriot viper @ 1.65v btw. So would I be okay to put volt at 1.66? aas it doesn't let you do it at 1.65, although the mobo said that anything above 1.65 is dangerous?

In my bios my cpu voltage is @ 1.296v
when running prime it jumps between 1.288v and 1.302v but mainly stays @ 1.296v

my ram is set @ 1.64v as like you say not allowing me to set it @ 1.65v.

as for other settings i will have to get back to you as i know i've turned things off and raised others. I'll take a look tonight and let you know

Associate
Okay, So I have put my new D0 in :)
I set the CPU voltage to 1.293 (its the closest to 1.3 it goes)
The Cpu Pll volt to 1.82 (0.2 above auto which is 1.8 I think)
And the QPI voltage to 1.293 also

I set the DRAM speed to 1603mhz and left the timings at auto because I do not know what to do with them. Should I just set them to 8,8,8,24 like they are supposed to be at stock? currently they are on AUTO at 9,9,9,24

Is there anything here that I should change? I will do Prime95 tests tommorow as I won't have time tonight. Any help appreciated!

EDIT: At the above settings I got a BSOD. SO I changed settings to:

CPU Volt: 1.30625
PLL: 1.84
QPI/DRAM: 1.31875

However I still get a BSOD in the first minute of Prime95
Which voltage is it that I need to raise?

Last edited:
Associate
Im due to be getting one of these when I get a custom spec job from here, and promising me it will be a D0 stepping by the time the end of may comes around.

I will have an ASUS Rampage II mobo, how easy will it be for me to make this 2.66 go right upto 4.2ghz?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
no problem - if you are on air it may be more difficult

if you are buying a rig from ocuk then i will be clocking it for you

if it is a full system - call up and ask to speak to rich

i will discuss how high i can clock for you :)

Associate
It will probably be on air with a Noctua fan, It will definatly be a rig I am buying from here, either a pre-built system or a custom spec machine.

Would you say its better I phone than place the order online?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Place the order online or call up and ask to speak to Sam. He will guide you through what you need based on your budget. Once it's built I will clock it for you and keep you updated in this thread if you like?

Associate
Keeping me updated on this thread would be a really good idea, as im definatly going to be placing the order around the end of may time, partially to coincide with the release of Sims 3, but also have held back as I have heard that when placing the order for a new machine, the D0 stepping versions wont be available for newly built machines for at least the next week, and secondly the GTX295 (something else I want) will be changing to single PCB in about 2 weeks time, is all this info true?

Soldato
rjkoneill, just out of curiosity have you managed to push the DRAM Frequency above 800mhz? as those OCZ Reaper 6GB (3x2GB) are specced at 933mhz (1866MHz) ?

I've tried two sets of ram with the Biostar TPower X58, cannot get either above 800mhz no matter what timings are used & my 2nd set of sticks are rated at 1000mhz (2000mhz).

Definitly seems like a Bios issue, I notified Biostar about this on 6th April so they are aware of this issue, whether they fix it is another story. :o

Associate
Place the order online or call up and ask to speak to Sam. He will guide you through what you need based on your budget. Once it's built I will clock it for you and keep you updated in this thread if you like?

Do you know roughly how high it will let itself clock upto, or do you really have to have the chip installed and working before you will be able to find that out? Just like a rough guide of the speed increase I will be looking at, all thanks to your good self ;)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
rjkoneill, just out of curiosity have you managed to push the DRAM Frequency above 800mhz? as those OCZ Reaper 6GB (3x2GB) are specced at 933mhz (1866MHz) ?

I've tried two sets of ram with the Biostar TPower X58, cannot get either above 800mhz no matter what timings are used & my 2nd set of sticks are rated at 1000mhz (2000mhz).

Definitly seems like a Bios issue, I notified Biostar about this on 6th April so they are aware of this issue, whether they fix it is another story. :o

mine goes up to 888 using a 222mhz bclk

i cant get it to run on other dividers either
dont know why yet
assuming its a bios issue

they need a divider to run 1866 using 200BCLK :rolleyes:

Do you know roughly how high it will let itself clock upto, or do you really have to have the chip installed and working before you will be able to find that out? Just like a rough guide of the speed increase I will be looking at, all thanks to your good self ;)

i would need to check it out

if its on air i could probably get 3.8/4ghz depending on the cooler

if you go for watercooling with a double rad maybe 4.2

i would say go for air on a noctua cooler

that way its pretty certain

but remember - we have to offer support for the system so i would send it out at the standard 3.6/3.8 overclock with a profile for 4ghz :)

Associate
I can understand you would offer the standard support so would put it upto 3.8 overclocked, I would probably be more than happy with that as its a 1.2ghz increase, which would be plenty for me.

I dont think I really will be waiting until the end of may, as im really after going for the "this week only" with the "Ultima OC Tornado" which says it will be overclocked to 3.60, but hopefully you can put it slightly further to 3.8 as its me ;)

Can I put what I would want added to this system on here, or is it best to leave a webnote or call up on monday morning?

Soldato
So after some lapping to the CPU, I did a quick Prime test and here are the results of the idle and max temps of the CPU at 4.0GHz:

n556137488_2953059_5039.jpg

n556137488_2953060_6634834.jpg

Still getting over 90C...so I may have to lap the CPU again...but as I am using the P6T SE this could also be the reason why I get BSOD when I try and get the CPU over 4.0GHz. Luckily my Deluxe V2 is coming back (after being RMA'd and tested for no faults) so I will or MAY put the CPU in there instead and see what can happen. :D otherwise I am very pleased...:D

Last edited:
Associate
CK, I thought my p6t deluxe was faulty so I RMA'd it and they said it was fine. THen some guy at overclockers told me to try building it outside of the case. I tried this and magically all 6gb RAM worked :) Maybe you should try this too?

Soldato
CK, I thought my p6t deluxe was faulty so I RMA'd it and they said it was fine. THen some guy at overclockers told me to try building it outside of the case. I tried this and magically all 6gb RAM worked :) Maybe you should try this too?

lol thats just it tho...I did build it outside of the case...look:

Core i7 920 with Deluxe V2

You can see I put the RAM sticks before putting the motherboard into the case...along with the CPU...

Associate
Hopefully with my ASUS Rampage II will give me the mentioned speed of 4ghz with this chip, it might be possible when I get my machine built through here, they will overclock the chip upto 3.6ghz for me, but how much work would I have to do to stretch this right over to 4.0? Any quick walkthrough guides?

Associate
I am getting similar results. I foudna few things that may be of interest...

Firstly my D0 had such a bad IHS which left groves down both sodes where no direct contact was being made with the HS. So i lapped the D0 and have been very impressed since.

I'm using the EVGA X58 3 SLI board with a 920 D0 and 6Gb of Blade 2000 9,9,9,20 ram

I am prime stable at 4.3Ghz
My wall seems to be 217 compared to your 222. But interestingly my superPi 1M at 217 which is just over 4.5Ghz with only 1.35v Vcore I get a score of 8.95 seconds. Like you i'm only stable for superPi at this speed.

My temps are far lower than yours though prime at 4.3Ghz none of my cores top 70c and i'm using a very quiet 3x120 rad.

Soldato
dance, re-read rjk's last post. He'll ship it to you at the normal 3.6/3.8 overclock, but there will be a profile in the BIOS for 4GHz, so all you'll have to do is go in and select it :) (So long as he can get it running at 4GHz, that is ;))

I got mine yesterday, popped it straight in and up to 200x20, everything on auto. Get into windows to see that it decided on 1.4V, a little high for my liking, and seeing 90° under Prime.

After trying 1.25V and getting a BSOD out of Prime, then trying 1.3V and getting more of the same, it's perfectly happy with 1.35V. And after turning the fans up to full, it doesn't hit 90° :D

Lots of tweaking to be done, but, so far, I'm pretty chuffed :)

Also being tempted to try water, but I think that's something for another thread :)

Almost forgot, specs:

D0 920 (obviously)
Plain jane P6T
Noctua U12P
Corsair XMS3 (the cheap stuff)
Corsair HX620W

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom