• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 580 Review

Soldato
So come on then.. when is the GTX570 going to show up then. That's the one most people will really be buying if it's on the cards :)

I'm not sure there will be a GTX570 unless it's a GTX480 with a new cooler.

I'd guess there may be a full fat GF104 marketed as a GTX560 though, I'd expect it to be in the current GTX470 range performance wise, but with better thermals and noise.

EDIT: Anandtech's review is up..

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4008/nvidias-geforce-gtx-580

Soldato
So come on then.. when is the GTX570 going to show up then. That's the one most people will really be buying if it's on the cards :)

heres an interesting quote from the anand conclusion.

"So what’s next? A few different things. From the NVIDIA camp, NVIDIA is promising a quick launch of the rest of the GeForce 500 series. Given the short development cycles for NVIDIA we’d expect more refined GF10x parts, but this is very much a shot in the dark."

The gtx580 seems to get decent reviews even though its not a huge improvement and i think this is mostly down to the new cooler. It looks like nv really did learn something from the gtx480 and that was not to release a fast card thats hot and loud.

580 looks a nice card, slightly over priced but then it can be, the fanbois will lap it up so why shouldnt nvidia price it up a bit. They have the crown for now, who knows what will happen within a month.

It really does look a good card now. I agree on the comment from anandtech, surely they will pull a 570, I just cannot see why they wouldnt. Farm the high prices on 580 for now, as demand slows release the 570.
I can't see the price holding up for a long time, assuming AMD have something good to launch.

Well done Nvidia, they have fixed some of the biggest issues with the initial fermi cards and also improved performance. Hopefully AMD will maintain their heat power etc and will move to more performance = a much closer market where we can see some serious competition again.

Caporegime
580 looks a nice card, slightly over priced but then it can be, the fanbois will lap it up so why shouldnt nvidia price it up a bit. They have the crown for now, who knows what will happen within a month.

It really does look a good card now. I agree on the comment from anandtech, surely they will pull a 570, I just cannot see why they wouldnt. Farm the high prices on 580 for now, as demand slows release the 570.
I can't see the price holding up for a long time, assuming AMD have something good to launch.

Well done Nvidia, they have fixed some of the biggest issues with the initial fermi cards and also improved performance. Hopefully AMD will maintain their heat power etc and will move to more performance = a much closer market where we can see some serious competition again.

Problem Nvidia has is what the gtx570 would do to it's sales of gtx480. They would have to make the gtx480 end of line as the gtx570 should be £300 or less and would be equal or slightly better to a gtx480 in performance.

I reckon we won't see a gtx570 for some time. I can see a gtx560 coming though as they have nothing priced between £175 and £325 atm and that is where a lot of the ATI cards will be pitched.

Soldato
Well it looks like a pair of GTX460 1GBs are about the same performance as a GTX580 (but significantly cheaper), and a pair of GTX470s will eat a GTX580 for breakfast. Cue increase in 460 and 470 RRPs...

Soldato
Well it looks like a pair of GTX460 1GBs are about the same performance as a GTX580 (but significantly cheaper), and a pair of GTX470s will eat a GTX580 for breakfast. Cue increase in 460 and 470 RRPs...

How many times does it have to be said now, some people want a SINGLE (ONE) fast card even if its slower then two chepo cards

Soldato
^^Weren't the prices going back up shortly anyway, due to the price drops NV did to compete with the 6xxx series card launches.

If it was me I'd take a 460's in SLI or 6850's in XF over the 580 anyday.

Better performance for less £££'s.

Soldato
How many times does it have to be said now, some people want a SINGLE (ONE) fast card even if its slower then two chepo cards

And some people don't mind having 2 cards in SLI (or Xfire), I'm just pointing out that for those people SLI (or Xfire) is a cost effective solution. I'm not having a go at the single card solution. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
im itching, my kick ass new pc is on the floor doing nothing without a gfx card or hdd :(

my 2 x 640mb WD Blacks 6gbs turn up tommorrow though for some raid 0 goodness :)

Back
Top Bottom