** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

Associate
Apparently only dual link DVI will display 120hz. The full specs and user guide are available to download from the Samsung product page. The manual gives some good tech info. I guess I will let you know tomorrow when I pick my screen up.
Very little reviews and solid info is a little un-nerving for £600 but tomorrow will hopefully put the mind at rest!

The display port can run at 120Hz. If it couldn't then the S27A750D wouldn't be able to use it at all since it doesn't have a dual link DVI.

Soldato
No, the TriDef drivers and built in conversion will work on any GPU. I believe some of the best operating modes (frame-sequential) are restricted to AMD GPUs currently.

Last edited:
Associate
That's great. I do like this monitor, but I'm hanging on to see the price of the Samsung SA850 before I commit.

We are the first company in the UK to place our orders on the new Samsung 3D monitors and will have an exclusive on stock availability on the 950D throughout June and possibly July.

As it would seem other etailer's will have stock also today, I just hope that those that pre ordered through OcUK did not do so solely on the exclusivity promised above.

Associate
No, the TriDef drivers and built in conversion will work on any GPU. I believe some of the best operating modes (frame-sequential) are restricted to AMD GPUs currently.

So on NV gfx cards what is the issue with side by side? Will it look / function worse?:confused:

I accept the frame sequential limitation on NV cards may be deliberate to force us to use 3dvision. :(

I'd buy this screen tomorrow if someone could get 3d vision working. ;) TriDef on NV cards looks poor from what i have read. :(

Associate
Likewise, I'm very skeptical of TriDef.
I've used their software before. It's available from them directly, and I used it with some eDimensional 3D shutter glasses on my CRT. The cross-game compatibility was not great.

Although what NVidia is doing is effectively vendor lock-in, which should be avoided, at least they are controlling the whole chain from driver through to display device. That just gives me more confidence in their 3D vision technology.

Associate
So on NV gfx cards what is the issue with side by side? Will it look / function worse?:confused:

I accept the frame sequential limitation on NV cards may be deliberate to force us to use 3dvision. :(

I'd buy this screen tomorrow if someone could get 3d vision working. ;) TriDef on NV cards looks poor from what i have read. :(

So basically this monitor , if you bought it, could then be responsible for you then spending another 500 quid on a Radeon 6990! hehe

Associate
So basically this monitor , if you bought it, could then be responsible for you then spending another 500 quid on a Radeon 6990! hehe

ironic isnt it, 3 months ago i bought an alienware R3 desktop with a ATI 6870

and then thinking i would be spending the same :(if i wanted a 3D setup namely Nvidia oh but a cruel world we live in:D

Associate
Confused here :confused:

I bought a nvidia card recently so when I bought a 3d monitor which is next on my list of spends I was ready.

Now I see this monitor and have read this thread and am confused :confused:

From what I see, the monitor is Card independant, which to me is a good idea.

My question to OCUK as you sell them:

1: Will 2d be in 120hz

Associate
Hi Gents.

New here but ive been reading these forums for a while now.

Does anyone know if surround 3d can be used on monitors like these that have the emitter built in?

Ill need a monitor in a couple of weeks and still trying to decide which to get.

Soldato
Confused here :confused:

I bought a nvidia card recently so when I bought a 3d monitor which is next on my list of spends I was ready.

Now I see this monitor and have read this thread and am confused :confused:

From what I see, the monitor is Card independant, which to me is a good idea.

My question to OCUK as you sell them:

1: Will 2d be in 120hz

Bowtome, there is no need to wait for OcUK to respond to that question as it has been answered by knowledgeable individuals in this thread already. To be crystal clear:

1) For the SA950 series 2D will be 'in 120Hz' provided you connect it up via DVI (with dual link cable) or DisplayPort - not HDMI, as there is insuffisicent bandwidth.

2) For the SA750 2D will be 'in 120Hz' provided you connect it up via DisplayPort. There is no DVI option on this model and the same HDMI bandwidth restrictions apply.

Remember that unless you can pump out far in excess of 60fps on your favourite game titles there is really nothing to gain from the 120Hz refresh rate. Hopefully you knew this already but you'd be surprised how many people fail to grasp this concept.

Last edited:
Associate
I just read on another forum from a guy who got one of these that 2d is in 120hz.

But he said if you have an nvidia card, you have to have some side by side 3d mode, whereas the ATI cards work better. Now I am more confused

edit:Whoops was typing same time as previous poster, although a big time difference, my boss came over and I had to wait till he left before finishing. Thanks for the reply.

Associate

I'd buy one in a heartbeat too if 3d vision was supported by this monitor. I think as a substitute I'll probably end up getting the Acer HN274Hbmiiid as there seems to be some good reviews on that monitor.

Associate
Just hooked mine up. The display is great. 1080p on the 27" is not just as sharp as a 24" obviously but for those worried you won't be disappointed at all. I have a dell ultra sharp 24" aswell and I am very happy with the sharpness. 120hz in 2d through dual link is without doubt a huge improvement. Colours are great and the menu adjustments gives you great options to tweak colours to your pref. Very happy after 30mins with it and all my fears are completely gone with this monitor. I've had a quick go on crysis 2 with the 3d function very good but not my bag to be honest. Not a techy first impression I know but looking at the q's and concerns on this screen I really think you will be impessed. The build quality and aesthetics are outstanding. 1 watchout make sure you have a ps3 style power cable. The monitor has a transformer and comes with foreign plug. It does come with a classic kettle lead however there is nowhere to plug that in????? Slightly strange.

Back
Top Bottom