*******C.A.R.S - Community Assisted Race Sim*********

Associate
purchased the 10euro one, runs pretty well on my pc (6950 and 4.5ghz i5), the graphics of the cars are truely beautiful, and are the same as the screenshots that look like renders :D

the tracks seem to look "soft" to me, but could be motion blur or something like that

only used a xbox controller to try it, and it did feel odd, i guess because of that

Associate
Bought the 25 euros one, runs pretty well maxed with normal AA on a 6950 and i5 @4.3 only have a 360 controller to play it and it was a bit difficult looks and sounds amazing.

Associate
Its all about the sound man the sound!!

altho it does look abit like gtr

and C.A.R.S is for real, hats off to them getting it off the ground.

Last edited:
Soldato
you can always buy the 10euro one.. and then the 25 euro will cost 15 to "upgrade" the membership.. i wen't for the 10 one for now

well, that makes my decision pretty easy. 25 euro now with a tiny possibility of another 75 euros if the exclusive track becomes incredibly interesting.

hell, im gonna get the money back if the game sells well (and why it wouldnt sell well i have no idea)

only used a xbox controller to try it, and it did feel odd, i guess because of that

if your used to forza on the xbox controller then its probably because forza has some countersteering aids (hidden in everything but forza 4, where it is called simulation steering).

if not then they might be doing 1:1 steering mapping with the analogue stick, which is what you want for a steering wheel, but really not what you want on a controller. for the controller you need speed sensitive steering (which i pray that they have in the demo)

Last edited:
Associate
This looks fun, although if too many people are allowed in to the 'dev' team there will be no one left to buy the game and generate some profits!

Soldato
Anyone played with a wheel yet that can comment on the FFB? Shift 1 and 2 were terrible is this area in my opinion and that's putting me off more than anything.

It is undoubtedly Shifty-y, being based on the same code. At first it felt *very* Shifty, which wasn't good. But by scaling back the gorgeousness (sadly) I got my frame rate up and lost (nearly?) all the lag*.

It doesn't feel as "crisp" and natural to drive as iRacing, but it's nowhere near as bad as Shift2 could be. So I think it's easily worth the £22 or so (lousy exchange rate! Blame the Bank of England) to get an ongoing view into the world of game development.

I do suspect it'll get a bit messy though, with lots of different people thinking they deserve a voice just because they spent a few quid. It'll be those with very deep pockets who'll be listened to.

Given interest rates at the moment I must admit I am tempted to sink more into this than is strictly sensible. But they say you should always invest in things you know something about. Well, here's my chance... *if* the project looks like it's going in the right direction. It's far too early to tell, but I like what I see so far. The car in the start menu alone is worth the basic 10 euro price of entry. :)

*CARS is much more demanding than iRacing, graphically. iRacing is excellent in a clean, sparing sort of way, but CARS is like Shift without all the ADHD bits. So it really makes my TripleHead setup work hard. My 5870 maybe about to discover iwhether it has any overclocking headroom... so thank goodness the weather's cooling down.

Last edited:
Associate
If any iracers (or any serious PC sim gamer) could give me a some physics impressions I'd be mucho grateful. It looks better than Shift having seen a few vids, but that doesn't really count for anything.

Edit: Thanks Andrew.

Man of Honour
It is undoubtedly Shifty-y, being based on the same code. At first it felt *very* Shifty, which wasn't good. But by scaling back the gorgeousness (sadly) I got my frame rate up and lost (nearly?) all the lag*.

It doesn't feel as "crisp" and natural to drive as iRacing, but it's nowhere near as bad as Shift2 could be. So I think it's easily worth the £22 or so (lousy exchange rate! Blame the Bank of England) to get an ongoing view into the world of game development.

I do suspect it'll get a bit messy though, with lots of different people thinking they deserve a voice just because they spent a few quid. It'll be those with very deep pockets who'll be listened to.

Given interest rates at the moment I must admit I am tempted to sink more into this than is strictly sensible. But they say you should always invest in things you know something about. Well, here's my chance... *if* the project looks like it's going in the right direction. It's far too early to tell, but I like what I see so far. The car in the start menu alone is worth the basic 10 euro price of entry. :)

*CARS is much more demanding than iRacing, graphically. iRacing is excellent in a clean, sparing sort of way, but CARS is like Shift without all the ADHD bits. So it really makes my TripleHead setup work hard. My 5870 maybe about to discover iwhether it has any overclocking headroom... so thank goodness the weather's cooling down.

I'm sure the community and investors will get rid of the Shift ffb and handling before too long, but I'll hold on to my cash until they do. Or at least moving in the right direction away from it.

Last edited:
Associate
Think im going to give the 100 euro sign up a bash on payday, ive been following this for a while and it looks very promising indeed, i LOVE iRacing but C.A.R.S has me very excited.

Associate
I'll give this a go sometime this week and see how it compares. There were a few comments in the iRacing forum that the handling is "odd" when you push the car over the limit and that it was too easy to hold large slides.

Edit: Shameless rip of a review from an iRacing member regarding the physics
It's not an arcade game, this is definitively a simulation.
In this alpha stage, the FFB is too much unpolished. Big lag don't let us feel exactly what is going on. A lot of minor bugs...
Impossible to have a 1:1 wheel linearity. It's when you see this king of things that you think otherwise about iRacing.
At this stage, too few calibrating settings. You don't know what the game sees.
The overall attitude is good but not at the detail level of iRacing.
No bumps on tracks.
Curbs feel good on FFB.
Spins are ok.
A kind of blur surround the whole physic.

Conclusion : in my opinion, the overall experience is convincing but not with the level of detail in iRacing. It's like having forces on the wheel that should be like this at this turn and having forces that are like this at this turn. At this stage, the whole experience has too much latency.

I'm not surprised about the lack of bumps since I doubt they're laser scanned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom