Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Make sure you have the audio settings configured correctly. I don't have an A/V amp, so I have to turn off the Dolby Digital and DTS receiver options (System -> System -> Audio Output).

Cheers for that, disabled that as well as the boost levels when downmixing. Set channels to 2.0 as well.

Seems a tad better! The poor little thing is working hard:

XHb7y.png

Associate
Im having issues with overscanning on a SDTV (raspBMC). Been messing with it for hours.

It doesn't do PAL properly, even if you set it up in config.txt

so ive been messing about in the guisettings.xml

forced it into 720x576, but it is still slightly over scanned all around.

anybody had any joy with an SDTV?

Soldato
You might have more luck with settings on the TV if there are any? Some have a setting for overscan, though it seems more common on HDTVs rather than SDTVs.

Associate
I have seen some people mention BBC I player and ITV's streaming service.

I thought these use flash? It has been mentioned a few times in thread that the cpu won't be strong enough to decode flash, but the gpu would be.
Is there now optimization for flash to be used by the gpu?

Soldato
I'm interested in getting Shairport running on my RPi but can't seem to find much about it.

Does anyone have any pointers? I'm a Linux noob but don't mind reading up if I can find some info on it :)

Associate
I just ordered a 16gb class 10 sd card, after checking if it's one of the tested ones for raspberry pi...

I don't have one yet, but I submitted my "interest" about 1month ago. So In hopefully 2-3 months I'll be able to get one...

I saw apple tv 3rd gen for £80 and other players for £80-90 and now I started thinking...is it worth getting the raspberry pi??

I intend to use it as a player (XMBC) for the movies stored on my ubuntu microserver

You will say, the pi is what £30 ? of course it's worth getting that!!

Is it?

Let's think about it, £30-35 for the pi, £5-10 for an SD card, I recon you need an usb infrared receiver of some sorts and a remote control - about £ 20-30 ?

So before you know it, you are very close to a player that comes with a remote control, that doesn't require any tinkering and that plays 1080p.

So, am I wrong in thinking that unless you really want to spend the time installing XBMC and typing stuff in the command line , you are better off getting an out of the box solution?

Soldato
I just ordered a 16gb class 10 sd card, after checking if it's one of the tested ones for raspberry pi...

I don't have one yet, but I submitted my "interest" about 1month ago. So In hopefully 2-3 months I'll be able to get one...

I saw apple tv 3rd gen for £80 and other players for £80-90 and now I started thinking...is it worth getting the raspberry pi??

I intend to use it as a player (XMBC) for the movies stored on my ubuntu microserver

You will say, the pi is what £30 ? of course it's worth getting that!!

Is it?

Let's think about it, £30-35 for the pi, £5-10 for an SD card, I recon you need an usb infrared receiver of some sorts and a remote control - about £ 20-30 ?

So before you know it, you are very close to a player that comes with a remote control, that doesn't require any tinkering and that plays 1080p.

So, am I wrong in thinking that unless you really want to spend the time installing XBMC and typing stuff in the command line , you are better off getting an out of the box solution?

My Pi was £29 SD was £6 for £35 all in controlled with an iPhone it's a no brainier for me.

So much so that I have a 2nd on the way :)

Soldato
I just installed xbmc and it worked, 'best' video I've tried so far was a 6mbps h.264 mkv (~2.6Gb for an hour) and that was absolutely fine, except what I previously mentioned about bringing the main menu screen up as an overlay but you can work around that...

Also as said, iPhone/Android app and jobs a good'un :)

Soldato
Has anyone used any National Instruments equipment on these at all or run LabView? I'm planning on trying some out at work for demonstrations to honours students but think it might be a bit too lightweight for the project.

Soldato
ok, does it play 1080p well?
did you have to tinker with the codecs a lot or you simply installed xbmc and it worked?

I've not done any tinkering, it just works. The only file I've found that it hasn't coped with was a 18GB 1080p one. But it coped better that my PS3 and my 360 both of which were crippled by it. This just ran a little slow.

All in all I think it's superb.

Associate
I've not done any tinkering, it just works. The only file I've found that it hasn't coped with was a 18GB 1080p one. But it coped better that my PS3 and my 360 both of which were crippled by it. This just ran a little slow.

cheers for that, I'll wait and try to get one, I don't have much money to spend and this would be the ceapest sollution.

My movies max size is about 12-14GB, bot normally they are about 4-5GB, so that I hope will play well.

If it comes to it I can try to overclock the PI.

Soldato

Amazingly RC2 handles everything I have thrown at it so far now including this 18GB one.

Back
Top Bottom