Summer Transfer Window 2013/2014 aka Arsenal , we can afford folks and the mancs really want Fellani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
As above, the only reason I can think why we'd go for him is because he'll be free and we're going to need at least 2 CB's this summer.

Caporegime
Suppose he could just fill in the experience Carra role, especially if they bring in a few younger guys. You'd think he'd want a few £££ though. :confused:

Soldato
Suppose he could just fill in the experience Carra role, especially if they bring in a few younger guys. You'd think he'd want a few £££ though. :confused:

Hmm, if his contract's winding down, is he really going to get a better offer? He's 32, if he's remotely reasonable he'll know any top half side taking him now is decent.

Caporegime
Some odd reports tonight linking us with a move for Kolo Toure on a bosman :/

I'm not really sure what to make of it. He's well past his best and I was never a fan of his when he was at his best however if we're going to be signing 2 if not 3 CB's this summer, would he be that bad as 4th choice? I can't see us being willing to offer him much in terms of wages (despite him being free) and I suppose he would provide us with a bit of experience that we're losing with Carra retiring.

As long as he's on a short deal, not too much money and we sign a young Sami Hyypia as well, I could live with Toure coming in as cover.

Someone well past their prime who no one ever really rated in the first place?

Sounds like a direct replacement for carragher to me :p Instant first choice.

Don

Surely there can't be much demand for him, not from clubs that will pay him decent money at least.

Don
There wasn't any for Carroll but that didn't stop you slinging big money at him :p

I think he could still do a good job for a mid table team. His wages might be laughable though.

You're on a role tonight :p

And Spurs reportedly offered £25m for Carroll actually!

Last edited:
Caporegime
£30mil for a striker that has in the past 3 seasons, missed an entire season, and hasn't scored more than 14 league goals before, £30mil, honestly £20mil sounds like too much. He's 23 already, has had a serious injury not too long ago(but two relatively full seasons since) and from what I've seen, he spends most of his game dropping deep, controlling the ball and passing forwards, which is what Giroud is pretty good at BUT Arsenal rarely play in a way suited to that part of Giroud's game. From vids of the goals he's scored, I'm not particularly impressed, there are few if any super high quality goals that make me think he's something special.

As for a coup, when Arsenal spend 20mil + on someone and pay more wages than they've paid before, and no one else has offered more, it only says no one else wanted to offer more, which suggests its not a coup, simple as that.

I haven't seen much of him, but his record isn't great, and youtube is questionable at best. Though in general a glittering clip of 10 awesome goals and a few tricks, when someone has played several full seasons isn't proof they are any good, when those video's lack any absolute quality at all.... maybe that is slightly more telling.

IE put any players 20 best moments across 5 years in 30 seconds of clips you can make them look amazing, but when 3-10minute video's show very very little true quality at all I think that can mean an awful lot more.

he's 6ft , not very fast, goes down a lot, doesn't score much, and seems at his best with his back to goal playing deeper, is that what Arsenal need? In the current team, not even slightly, however if we buy other players, the right kind of winger and put a top class finisher infront of Jovetic... maybe he would be the right player.

However for 24-30mil(seen both numbers quoted of late), he doesn't come across as a 30 goal a season striker at all.

Soldato
I must say youtube doesnt paint a great picture of him. Lots of videos of him running into trouble or going no where.

Looks like he could fit in with the front three formation we have at the moment but I would like to see a world class finisher put at the peak.

Although he doesnt look like the fastest, he seems to be quick with his feet and prepared to run at people, lets hope its not just into dead ends.

Soldato
£30mil for a striker that has in the past 3 seasons, missed an entire season, and hasn't scored more than 14 league goals before, £30mil, honestly £20mil sounds like too much. He's 23 already, has had a serious injury not too long ago(but two relatively full seasons since) and from what I've seen, he spends most of his game dropping deep, controlling the ball and passing forwards, which is what Giroud is pretty good at BUT Arsenal rarely play in a way suited to that part of Giroud's game. From vids of the goals he's scored, I'm not particularly impressed, there are few if any super high quality goals that make me think he's something special.

As for a coup, when Arsenal spend 20mil + on someone and pay more wages than they've paid before, and no one else has offered more, it only says no one else wanted to offer more, which suggests its not a coup, simple as that.

I haven't seen much of him, but his record isn't great, and youtube is questionable at best. Though in general a glittering clip of 10 awesome goals and a few tricks, when someone has played several full seasons isn't proof they are any good, when those video's lack any absolute quality at all.... maybe that is slightly more telling.

IE put any players 20 best moments across 5 years in 30 seconds of clips you can make them look amazing, but when 3-10minute video's show very very little true quality at all I think that can mean an awful lot more.

he's 6ft , not very fast, goes down a lot, doesn't score much, and seems at his best with his back to goal playing deeper, is that what Arsenal need? In the current team, not even slightly, however if we buy other players, the right kind of winger and put a top class finisher infront of Jovetic... maybe he would be the right player.

However for 24-30mil(seen both numbers quoted of late), he doesn't come across as a 30 goal a season striker at all.

Fair enough, if you sign him we'll see. I'm not saying he'll be amazing immediately, but with time you could have another RVP on your hands.

Caporegime
Well from youtube, he may be willing to run at people but he lost it/dropped every time.

I think the main issue is he couldn't fit into the current formation. I've said all season, in games where Podolski plays wide, Giroud plays upfront and Santi/Wilshire in the middle the movement has been great, GIroud tends to stand near the defenders, drop deep, receive a pass and then play the runner in behind, usually Podolski as most other guys we have make the wrong runs. Giroud looks quality WHEN we do that, but we so rarely play that way. The problem being, that looks like Jovetic's style as well, dropping deep, getting the ball then turning and playing the pass sideways or fowards into runners. Firstly we have Giroud who is already quite good at that, but is a bit crap when asked to run in behind or play completely isolated, and Jovetic again, looks pretty similar. Without options he seems to run at defences and get no where.

A huge fee, and bigger wages than anyone else for someone who really hasn't shown any spectacular ability in any part of his game, nor seems any different to Giroud, nor has broken 14 goals i over double the number of games.

For pushing 30mil and becoming the top paid player at Arsenal, both would for me warrant someone who has hit closer to or beyond 20 league goals, and frankly wasn't similar to players we already had, and actually excels in a style that the club needs, IE if we're spending that much we should be getting a striker to play as a lone striker and is great at getting in behind and a fantastic finisher, why are we buying the umpteeth big guy who likes to drop deep and isn't particularly good in the air for "a big guy". We had Bendtner, got Chamakh who is worse, replaced him with Giroud who is definitely better, but we're not playing towards his style at all, and then potentially replacing him with Jovetic.... why are we buying big guys who like to drop deep, with other big guys who like to drop deep, when we DON'T PLAY in a way that works with a big guy who drops deep? Why is Wenger spending ever increasing amounts, and the wages over the contract, to get a guy who plays in a way Wenger hasn't got the team playing for?

Considering Bendtner was good when he played, but was benched because Wenger didn't like playing with a big guy, we then bought Chamakh to play that way, who was good when played, but benched because Wenger didn't want to play that way, then we got Giroud, who is being used less for the same reasons, now he wants to spend 24mil + on a similar type of player who still won't play the way Wenger wants.... wtf is he doing.

We could have just spent 40mil on one player who actually plays the way Wenger wants to play, so isn't benched and completely wasted, and doesn't need to be replaced yearly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom