• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD E3 Page

bru

bru

Soldato
If these GPU's are in fact ready as has been suggested then why are they waiting another 4 months?

In another thread there was an argument about why AMD would have waited several months to release their drivers with the nice boost to performance, if they could have come out with them straight away, and yet here they seem to be waiting for no reason.
I really don't get it.

Permabanned
If these GPU's are in fact ready as has been suggested then why are they waiting another 4 months?

In another thread there was an argument about why AMD would have waited several months to release their drivers with the nice boost to performance, if they could have come out with them straight away, and yet here they seem to be waiting for no reason.
I really don't get it.

I don't get it either?

Caporegime
They're waiting for battlefield 4's release date and will release new cards at the same to get extra publicity and cash in on the hype around bf4. I also think that part of the problem is that Nvidia new 7xx series (excluding the 780) are no faster than current amd equivalents so they probably aren't in any rush to bring out the new cards and can afford to wait till late october and use the bf4 hype to sell more of their cards.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
I also think that part of the problem is that Nvidia new 7xx series (excluding the 780) are no faster than current amd equivalents so they probably aren't in any rush to bring out the new cards and can afford to wait till late october and use the bf4 hype to sell more of their cards.

There was a chart that showed the possible specs of the new cards, which probably isn't true, but could be. Even if it is it would put the 8970 ahead of the 780 by no more than the 780 is ahead of the 7970ghz now. my point being I can see no reason for any delay. They would get more sales in the next four months than they would from the extra boost that a release with BF4 would bring.

edit: found it

Caporegime
There was a chart that showed the possible specs of the new cards, which probably isn't true, but could be. Even if it is it would put the 8970 ahead of the 780 by no more than the 780 is ahead of the 7970ghz now. my point being I can see no reason for any delay. They would get more sales in the next four months than they would from the extra boost that a release with BF4 would bring.

edit: found it

Yeah i see your reasoning and i don't necessarily disagree with it. I think if Nvidia had made decent gains with similarly priced 7xx cards AMD's hand would have been forced. As it is they can bide their time and pick the moment they think is best for launch, which is clearly not right now. They also might be waiting for Nvidias full 7xx line up before releasing. This way they can alter things like clock speed to ensure they're faster.

I would have liked to see new cards, but to be honest ive just got a 7950 crossfire setup and seeing how this ploughs through titles at 1440p no new cards are needed, performance wise imo. So i can kind of see why they're thinking lets just wait a bit.

That said, i would like it if they came out with a brute of a card and took the single gpu performance crown back, but at the end of the day what does that matter. Price vs performance is AMD's trademark.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whats bugging me is the slogan BE INVINCIBLE that they have been shouting all over the place, But they haven't actually released anything to back it up :/

Man of Honour
Whats bugging me is the slogan BE INVINCIBLE that they have been shouting all over the place, But they haven't actually released anything to back it up :/

It is possible they are sitting on their hands until they get on top of the microstutter problem in the drivers. After all the fuss when the HD 7990 launched I would not blame them.

It is not like NVidia are doing anything that well at the moment.

Caporegime
It is possible they are sitting on their hands until they get on top of the microstutter problem in the drivers. After all the fuss when the HD 7990 launched I would not blame them.

Good point, could be that they're waiting for the drivers to be finished as well.

Soldato

Yea i suppose they could be, Looking forward to the driver tbh as it should be out when i get the replacement VTX3d 7990 :D

Caporegime
OP
Yeah i see your reasoning and i don't necessarily disagree with it. I think if Nvidia had made decent gains with similarly priced 7xx cards AMD's hand would have been forced. As it is they can bide their time and pick the moment they think is best for launch, which is clearly not right now. They also might be waiting for Nvidias full 7xx line up before releasing. This way they can alter things like clock speed to ensure they're faster.

I would have liked to see new cards, but to be honest ive just got a 7950 crossfire setup and seeing how this ploughs through titles at 1440p no new cards are needed, performance wise imo. So i can kind of see why they're thinking lets just wait a bit.

That said, i would like it if they came out with a brute of a card and took the single gpu performance crown back, but at the end of the day what does that matter. Price vs performance is AMD's trademark.

I just look at that 256Bit bus on the 8950 and think, hhmmmm? na!

Back
Top Bottom