***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Associate
Which DE blades do people recommend?

I've just finished a 'starter pack' I had, and am down to my last few blades - so it's time to order more. I quite liked the Persona and Feather blades (from memory, since I used all of those quite quickly), but they're so expensive compared to, say, Astra.

I've only got a cheap generic DE razor - so I may also be looking for a £20-30 upgrade soonish.

Associate
Now then, I've got a bit of spare cash laying about and I'm thinking of treating myself to a new razor.

I jumped straight in at the deep end and got myself a nice little 34c after a week of using a cheapo plastic wilkinsons job. I love the 34c, if I were to spend similar money is there a better razor or something that's a bit different I could get my hands on? Slanted razors do get me a bit excited...

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Now then, I've got a bit of spare cash laying about and I'm thinking of treating myself to a new razor.

I jumped straight in at the deep end and got myself a nice little 34c after a week of using a cheapo plastic wilkinsons job. I love the 34c, if I were to spend similar money is there a better razor or something that's a bit different I could get my hands on? Slanted razors do get me a bit excited...

Thanks in advance

I'd go for either an Open Comb or a Slant as they will both shave differently to your 34c.

The 37c Slant in my pic above has the same handle as your 34c HD. So will be familiar to you.

Open Comb, maybe a Fatip although it might be a bit much for you unless you have your technique sorted. Good condition vintage Gillette NEW's go for £20-30 on ebay, they are very nice shaver, not as agressive as the Fatip.

This site shows you pics of the different Vintage Gillette's so you know what you are buying --> http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Gillette Rasierer.htm

Last edited:
Associate
I'd go for either an Open Comb or a Slant as they will both shave differently to your 34c.

The 37c Slant in my pic above has the same handle as your 34c HD. So will be familiar to you.

Open Comb, maybe a Fatip although it might be a bit much for you unless you have your technique sorted. Good condition vintage Gillette NEW's go for £20-30 on ebay, they are very nice shaver, not as agressive as the Fatip.

This site shows you pics of the different Vintage Gillette's so you know what you are buying --> http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Gillette Rasierer.htm

Cheers bud, I'll give it all a bit more research.

Thanks for the message aswell

Soldato
You'll probably be fine, it's a very efficient razor,you might only need to do two passes.

It will take a little getting used to though, the 34c HD is mild and forgiving compared to the Fatip.

Soldato
Looking for some advice here. My Taylor's Sandalwood cream has ran out and i'm on the market for some new shaving cream. Now the Taylor's stuff was amazing but it dried out my skin a little bit, is there anything like it but with moisturiser in it? Also, as cheap as possible as i'm actually skint till the 15th.

Soldato
All of these creams are worth looking out for.

Easy to find.
Palmolive classic (One of the best performers regardless of price)
Ingram (best for post shave feel/moisturising)
Boots cool cologne shaving cream. (haven't tried this one yet but it's only £1)
Real Shaving Company traditional/moisturising/sensitive. (same base as TOBS)
Asda Groomed shaving cream (see above)

Harder to find. (local pharmacist or pound shops)
Erasmic.
Hobby/Derby/Arko.
Nivea mild.
Supermax.
Lord fresh.

Soldato
Which DE blades do people recommend?

I've just finished a 'starter pack' I had, and am down to my last few blades - so it's time to order more. I quite liked the Persona and Feather blades (from memory, since I used all of those quite quickly), but they're so expensive compared to, say, Astra.

I've only got a cheap generic DE razor - so I may also be looking for a £20-30 upgrade soonish.

Iv'e been converted the the Gilette 7 o'clocks, which I dont think are in the stater test pack, very much recommended.

Associate
You'll probably be fine, it's a very efficient razor,you might only need to do two passes.

It will take a little getting used to though, the 34c HD is mild and forgiving compared to the Fatip.

I've got the little bugger and oh my is she a feisty one! Don't think my skin's felt as bare since I was a little kid!

I need to work on the technique around the neck but this is definitely becoming my permanent mid week razor and I'll reserve the 34c for the weekend just incase I slip up with the technique!

Soldato
I've got the little bugger and oh my is she a feisty one! Don't think my skin's felt as bare since I was a little kid!

I need to work on the technique around the neck but this is definitely becoming my permanent mid week razor and I'll reserve the 34c for the weekend just incase I slip up with the technique!

They shave very close dont they :D

I think the R41 i just sold shaved even closer, but it wasnt as enjoyable to use or as smooth as the Fatip.

Last edited:
Soldato
Iv'e been converted the the Gilette 7 o'clocks, which I dont think are in the stater test pack, very much recommended.

Been using these Gillette 7 O'clocks for ages now, have a pack of feathers as well for a 'change', got 100 for £10.49 from shaving shack, good for around 2 years shaving which I can't grumble at.

Associate
They shave very close dont they :D

I think the R41 i just sold shaved even closer, but it wasnt as enjoyable to use or as smooth as the Fatip.

I bought an Fatip Grande a couple of weeks ago but sent it back today. For me there's too much play in the head and loading the blade it can end up at all sorts of strange angles. Common problem by all accounts.

http://shavenook.com/thread-blade-alignment-issue-on-fatip-head

Getting a Muhle R41 instead.

Soldato
Two things:

The Shaving Shack are giving away free Bluebeard shavettes with orders over £49, expiring on the 30th of September. That would be an interesting way to try out that kind of shaving without having to dip into the wallet. I just spent £40 with them, so missed out. If I'd have known I would have waited and spent more! :(

Secondly, where's the cheapest people have found for Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap with the ceramic dish? I'm looking at about £22 delivered at the moment, and I'm left wondering if there's a less well known shop that sells it cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom