Internet Dating.....Who Has Done it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Socially awkward man-child seeks advice from OCUK Dating hive-mind.

In essence, it's been a while since I've been on the dating scene, for one reason or another such as career changes, personal issues etc. having to take precedence. As a result it's been literally years since I've found myself in this situation, only that in the intervening years, the white & blue nemesis, Facebook is now a factor.

Anyway, enough of that loose-brained rambling, and onto the situation at hand.

Saturday was a night out for a friend's 30th birthday. During the course of the evening I was introduced to another friend of hers, who was frankly, lovely. We ended up spending at least an hour or so just talking over a few drinks, and we seemed to be getting along just fine. But as the night moved on we ended up going into a rather overcrowded club, and everybody ended up getting separated, and making their own ways home. It was at this point, after arriving home around 4.45am and still in a state of merriment somewhat, that I decided to send her a friend request.

I woke up the next morning and gave serious thought to cancelling it, thinking I was being way too forward, but much to my surprise, she'd not only accepted it, but also sent me a nice message along the lines of "Hi, sorry I bailed last night but I lost everyone and felt a little unwell. It was nice to meet you though*Generic smiley face*" So, I've replied saying pretty much the same thing, and telling her it was a pleasure meeting her, and we've left it there.

Now here's my dilemma. What do?

a.) Nut up, and send her a further message later this week along the lines of "Hi, it was nice chatting to you on Saturday, but the music made talking a bit of a pain really. I was hoping we could get to know each other better, so to that end, I was hoping if you're free sometime we could perhaps meet up in town for a chat over coffee or some lunch at some point?"

or b.) Taking a step back, and taking the time to see if I can sound out our mutual friend, to see if she's mentioned me at all and if I'm not barking up the wrong tree. After all, this mutual friend of ours did mention before this night out that I should meet this friend of hers, but on the other hand, I'm nearly 30 and this approach does feel, well, a bit juvenile frankly.

I'll be honest, I am rather rusty, and as a result, crap at reading between the lines, especially with the likes of Facebook where things like body language, tone of voice, facial expression etc. are taken out of the equation. But perhaps I am also over-thinking things, unduly hesitating, and that the a.) approach is probably the best as it's clear cut, tells her that I like her and takes the doubt and nuance out of the situation. But, b.) could also be beneficial in giving me some reassurance to take that step to asking her out.

So, minions of the OCUK hive-mind, watdo?

Cheers!

Option A all the way. Don't expect too much from it though. If you've got on as well as you said then it could be promising, even so just go out again as friends. Another addition to your circle is never a bad thing and if things don't work out how you'd like she may have some nice single mates you could be introduced to.

If you're rusty it's important you get back in saddle as soon as possible.

Soldato
a.) Nut up, and send her a further message later this week along the lines of "Hi, it was nice chatting to you on Saturday, but the music made talking a bit of a pain really. I was hoping we could get to know each other better, so to that end, I was hoping if you're free sometime we could perhaps meet up in town for a chat over coffee or some lunch at some point?"

Definitely option A but I would word it a bit more casually. I would just say something like "How's it going? What you up to this *insert day here*? Fancy meeting for a drink and a chat?"

Although I might have a little bit of light hearted chat over private mail first. Not too much though.

anyone know of any decent "adult" dating websites? i've signed up to a couple free ones and they're terrible. not a fan of signing up to a paid for one and having the same issue i had with the likes of match where everyone i message can't read the thing so a waste of money.

Soldato
Stop hanging onto maybes, it's a sure-fire way for you to hurt yourself.

Don't waste any more time on her. Let it go now, leave her where she is and move on.

Wish I'd listened to this and not wasted any more time on her now! 6 weeks and she finally told me she definitely wasn't interested yesterday. Feels like a waste of 6 weeks. Am pretty gutted as I genuinely liked her a lot, we had loads in common and thought we got on really well when we were together.. But she obviously didn't think so! :(

Soldato
If ever there was a thread I could take part in, I've got a history of firstly internet dating. Met my last girlfriend on Facebook Poker, not really your typical dating location but we stayed together for over 4 years (she's from another country)

Let's take a look

Socially awkward man-child seeks advice from OCUK Dating hive-mind.

In essence, it's been a while since I've been on the dating scene, for one reason or another such as career changes, personal issues etc. having to take precedence. As a result it's been literally years since I've found myself in this situation, only that in the intervening years, the white & blue nemesis, Facebook is now a factor.

Anyway, enough of that loose-brained rambling, and onto the situation at hand.

Saturday was a night out for a friend's 30th birthday. During the course of the evening I was introduced to another friend of hers, who was frankly, lovely. We ended up spending at least an hour or so just talking over a few drinks, and we seemed to be getting along just fine. But as the night moved on we ended up going into a rather overcrowded club, and everybody ended up getting separated, and making their own ways home. It was at this point, after arriving home around 4.45am and still in a state of merriment somewhat, that I decided to send her a friend request.

I woke up the next morning and gave serious thought to cancelling it, thinking I was being way too forward, but much to my surprise, she'd not only accepted it, but also sent me a nice message along the lines of "Hi, sorry I bailed last night but I lost everyone and felt a little unwell. It was nice to meet you though*Generic smiley face*" So, I've replied saying pretty much the same thing, and telling her it was a pleasure meeting her, and we've left it there.

As, obvious as this may be, above I've highlighted the first obvious clues to the second part of this post.

Now here's my dilemma. What do?

or b.) Taking a step back, and taking the time to see if I can sound out our mutual friend, to see if she's mentioned me at all and if I'm not barking up the wrong tree. After all, this mutual friend of ours did mention before this night out that I should meet this friend of hers, but on the other hand, I'm nearly 30 and this approach does feel, well, a bit juvenile frankly.

I'll be honest, I am rather rusty, and as a result, crap at reading between the lines, especially with the likes of Facebook where things like body language, tone of voice, facial expression etc. are taken out of the equation. But perhaps I am also over-thinking things, unduly hesitating, and that the a.) approach is probably the best as it's clear cut, tells her that I like her and takes the doubt and nuance out of the situation. But, b.) could also be beneficial in giving me some reassurance to take that step to asking her out.

By you posting a) as the "let's meet again" mentality this is your desire - it's very clear that you like this girl, but of course the main question of this post is, does she and did she enjoy the company as much as I did? With the question looming, b) is the modest approach as you said, you are rusty are reading between the lines, maybe you are asking yourself "Did she just message in the morning, just to be nice?"

Now this is the way I see it, generally i'm decent getting down into the dirty psychological details with issues like this, it's kind of a sick hobby of mine. This lady friend had enough interest out of the people she would have met in that night to sit down, have drinks and talk in detail with YOU (an hour is a decent amount of time for talking). Anyone with a lack of interest, would firstly most likely not have drinks with you for starters, let alone have a comprehensive chat.

Could she just be being overly friendly? - This is a potential question, but being at a party with a few people that you know, generally you will sift through everyone huddling in group chats rather than having a solo one-on-one. It depends on also how many people were at this party, who else she knew.

The Conversation - During the conversation, did she do the following : look you in the eyes for more than average comfortable time, learn towards you during the conversation? These are signs of deep interest and potentially more. Anyone that leans back in a conversation, is dis-interested or has a hard time listening or believing what you are saying. Did she smile and laugh? Did she ask you questions or interested in what you did for work? (this topic is one of the most common talking points)

The Club - Clubs are disastrous for first time meets, especially when they are loud, crowded in which you are most likely to have least contact unless you are comfortable taking a girl for a dance, due to your modesty and overall lack of confidence this wouldn't have happened.

The Friend Request - After sending the friend request, you need to ask yourself why you would have cancelled it? In the previous paragraph I spoke about the "lack of confidence" I am speculating from yourself, and the possible rejection. So why not get rid of the request before it can be shot down right? Again it's speculation, you saying it was too forward - but surely an hour conversation is enough to warrant continued connection even on a friendly basis.

The Morning After - To your surprise, the friend request had not only been accepted, but a message sailed in. This is a very good sign, even if it's an apology you had been split or she bailed it's still her expressing and apologising for her departure without having a proper Goodbye, it's not even as if you were asking how she felt either, she willingly told you why she left as she was feeling "unwell".

Now, to me this would be something to pursue due to the signals in which I can see she has interest for you, more so than just someone else you would meet at a party. Lets say, you got off to a good start and the content for you a) to ask her for a coffee out sometime. If she enjoyed your company enough to send an apology for bailing without a prompt from you, i'm sure it's something which she most likely will do or consider. After all, what do you have to lose?

If you don't try, you won't know.

Dr Purdy
#notreallyadoctor
#Justacreep

Last edited:
Associate
After venturing back into online dating a few 'flings' from the horrendous site known as Pof I thought I would try Match.com. Couldn't recommend it more, after a months membership I've had a fair few dates with some I will be taking further. The women are a lot more keen in general as I guess everyone is paying for the site and not specifically there for ego boosts or general chit chat that goes on for days. The winking systems make things a whole lot easier as well.

Soldato
After venturing back into online dating a few 'flings' from the horrendous site known as Pof I thought I would try Match.com. Couldn't recommend it more, after a months membership I've had a fair few dates with some I will be taking further. The women are a lot more keen in general as I guess everyone is paying for the site and not specifically there for ego boosts or general chit chat that goes on for days. The winking systems make things a whole lot easier as well.

I've never had any issues with PoF. I filter the time wasters, and only respond to people I'm interested in. I've had plenty of great dates with really nice women so see no need to pay Match's subscription.

Glad it's working out for you though :)

Soldato
I've been away from POF for the past couple of months. Decided to stick a new profile up last night but it's not seeing much action. None in fact!

Any advice welcomed :)

http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=64282824

Get rid of the grammatical errors. And this sentence:

"Family and friends are very important to me and spend a lot of time meeting up with them to enjoy the good times but feel I need someone extra in my life to share the special times with."

Hello Mr Needy!

Remove that your business is just getting going.

How occasionally do you smoke? If it's just the odd one, then put non smoker.

The "proper big nightclub" bit makes you sound like a bit of a dork. Just say bigger gigs or something.

Last edited:
Soldato
Take the 2 photos of you and that bird off, I'm guessing you'd be put off by a girl with random guys in her pictures so do the same.

Also buy a thesaurus! First sentence has nice nice nice all the way through as does the profile, mix it up a bit and actually say something a woman will want to hear with a bit of personality! (Sorry I sound grumpy and harsh)

Associate
Your profile is far too 'nice'... nice personlity, nice things in life, nice restaurant, nice glass of wine. Nice is a terrible word, it's boring and lazy.

I'm not sure having a picture with a girl in it captioned with 'happy times' is a good idea. It leaves you wondering whether the time in question was happy because of said girl.

And for added brownie points... Oasis :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom