***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Associate
Well finally had my first ever DE shave yesterday with the following combo:

Merkur HD34C
Astra SP
Proraso Green pre-shave cream
Proraso Green shaving cream

First impressions:-
- the merkur feels tiny! I was expecting a big heavy thing but it feels the complete opposite. My gut feeling is that I'd like a larger handle but I will continue with it for the next few months
- there were several passes where it felt like barely anything was lifted, however this is down to technique as the angle of the blade really makes a difference
- I had to re-lather and make several passes on the stubborn areas but there was absolutely zero irritation, an outstanding result considering what I normally go through with cartridges
- the whole methodical approach and the experience with the brush/creams was actually very enjoyable.
- the areas that I got right were very smooth

For the first time in my life I'm actually looking forward to my next shave. Thanks to the OP and all the guys who have contributed info to the 2 threads

Wow can't believe that was 9 months ago.

I'm still using the Merkur with every shave and have a tubful of blades still to try out, but I'm very happy with the switch to DE and it's been an enjoyable journey.

The blades that I find work best for me so far are Polsilvers, followed by shark super, and then Gillette silver blues. The Polsilvers just plough through anything no matter how course, and they are very comfortable and smooth. The sharks I'd say just give the closest shave, and the Gillettes kind of sit in the middle. Polsilvers are my first choice. Honourable mention as well to Crystal blades.

After using up the proraso green pre shave cream I moved on to the sensitive one, which I cannot actually use post shave as it burns my skin! Moving back to the green one once the other has been used up.

I really like the Arran aromatics shaving creams, very light and easy to lather. Just ordered some Claus Porto Amber cream to try :)

Last edited:
Soldato
From reviews I've got some Proraso shaving cream and post shave on its way to me in the post. May be worth looking into...
I found the Proraso pre-shame cream really good - but some pre-shave oil I now have perhaps a little better.

I might look at their post shave cream now then, ta.

Soldato
For post shave I'd stick with light moisturiser. That simple stuff is perfect. I found things like the nivea for men after shave stuff made my skin too greasy. I did like the TOBS post shave gel, that stuff is great.
I found the Proraso pre-shame cream really good - but some pre-shave oil I now have perhaps a little better.

I might look at their post shave cream now then, ta.

Soldato
For post shave I'd stick with light moisturiser. That simple stuff is perfect. I found things like the nivea for men after shave stuff made my skin too greasy. I did like the TOBS post shave gel, that stuff is great.
Can you translate this for someone not up to date with the makes and so on please? :)

I don't know what TOBS or light moisturiser are!

Associate
I use Proraso green mainly but every so often use TOBS as i find it gives a better shave and is easy to lather up. I go back to Proraso though as I find it helps sooth the face. TOBS I have to make sure I moisturise after.

Soldato
OP
Can you translate this for someone not up to date with the makes and so on please? :)

I don't know what TOBS or light moisturiser are!

TOBS Afteshave gel.

Really nice and will last you a while, so the price isn't as bad as it seems!

Simple Light Moisturiser

A cheaper alternative to post shave balm that you can find in most stores. I find that the gloopy typical "for men" stuff just clots my face and makes it greasy. As I said though, your skin will differ so YMMV.

Caporegime
Used the shavette with a brand new Feather (DE snapped in half) this morning. Oh my word. It's hard and I had a couple of small nicks, but because I couldn't manage an against the grain pass up my cheeks (the blade kept getting 'caught' on the hair), the shave wasn't as close as with my DE, except for on my neck, where ATG worked and worked well.

There was some irritation but not too bad, especially for a first go. I think it's got a lot of potential and there's no doubt it was fun, but it's a real challenge and skin stretching is more important than ever.

Soldato
Well after a week I'm starting to find my groove. Not smooth smooth yet but so far so good.

Really getting to grips with lathering. Bought some Claus Porto Musgo Real Orange shaving cream and the body shop one. Really like the orange one. I find the bodyshop one can be a bit quick to dry out and is less forgiving at the lathering stage.

Soldato
I also had a pretty damn good shave to be honest. I used some palmolive from a tube. It worked really well. For anyone considering buying some. :D

Associate
shaveing

I agree you do get a better shave from a De .When my farther died I found a razor in his cupboard in a silver box 7blades all the days week and a leather strup.

Soldato
Hi all - I'm new to de shaving. My good lady recently bought me a Merkur 33c, a Vulfix 404 Grosvenor badger/boar mix brush, Cella shaving soap, brush stand and a pack of feather blades.

I'm really enjoying using the razor, but I am finding that it doesn't seem to give a close a shave as the old cartridge (Gillette Sensor) razor that I used to use. I never bothered with lather with the old razor, I just dragged it across a wet face. I always shave with the grain of the hair, as I think that's the *correct* way to do it. It just seems the de razor doesn't seem to get quite so much hair off. What am I doing wrong, or is that just the way it is?

Sorry if this is a noob question!

My current shaving regime is: Shower - build lather in a bowl (I find it easier to do in a bowl rather than on the face) - brush face for 60 secs or so - shave - rinse.

Thanks for any pointers. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all - I'm new to de shaving. My good lady recently bought me a Merkur 33c, a Vulfix 404 Grosvenor badger/boar mix brush, Cella shaving soap, brush stand and a pack of feather blades.

I'm really enjoying using the razor, but I am finding that it doesn't seem to give a close a shave as the old cartridge (Gillette Sensor) razor that I used to use. I never bothered with lather with the old razor, I just dragged it across a wet face. I always shave with the grain of the hair, as I think that's the *correct* way to do it. It just seems the de razor doesn't seem to get quite so much hair off. What am I doing wrong, or is that just the way it is?

Sorry if this is a noob question!

My current shaving regime is: Shower - build lather in a bowl (I find it easier to do in a bowl rather than on the face) - brush face for 60 secs or so - shave - rinse.

Thanks for any pointers. :)

Well we're talking one pass with a single blade compared with a multi blade razor, I'd not imagine you'll get as close a shave right off.
maybe try for a 3 pass shave until you get your technique down :)

Associate
Just ordered:

I think I've been well and truly bitten by the shaving upgrade bug. A few days ago I was happy with my boar bristle brush and 50p Palmolive shave stick :(.

Funny you spend all this money on creams and soaps and I still find a 50p Palmolive stick is up there with the best. Doesn't smell as nice as some but it gives a great shave.

Back
Top Bottom