Fuji X Series

Soldato
Hmmm I think my honeymoon period with the X-E1 is over! :D

I've had a frustrating day with it. I've got the 23mm now and I'm not feeling the love at the moment. The 60mm is slow as expected, I got more keepers shooting a manual 50mm. The 23mm I was expecting to focus faster than the 35mm after reading reviews, but perhaps that's only with the newer bodies?

Disappointing day, I'm glad I haven't sold any dslr gear yet, I need to think on this more...

Associate

I've had a frustrating day with it. I've got the 23mm now and I'm not feeling the love at the moment. The 60mm is slow as expected, I got more keepers shooting a manual 50mm. The 23mm I was expecting to focus faster than the 35mm after reading reviews, but perhaps that's only with the newer bodies?

Disappointing day, I'm glad I haven't sold any dslr gear yet, I need to think on this more...

That's a shame. Never got chance to use the XE1 (went straight to the XE2) but I understand the AF is meant to be a little slow.

I find it acceptable on the XE2 but the reality is it isn't as fast as my previous 70D and the 600D before it.

Having said all that, I'm finding the portability combined with the image quality and colour reproduction far outweighs the benefits of having a DSLR for me. Both have their place I guess and the important thing is to find out which works for you.

One from today. It actually takes a little getting used to NOT having to play with the vibrance and saturation sliders so much

DSCF2607 by moran.simon, on Flickr

Soldato
I'm sticking with it for the moment, I'll pick up an X-E2 or X-T1 of the opportunity arises at a nice price.

I knew the performance wasn't going to be what I'm used to, and for the last month that I've been trialing the X-E1 I've not had too many issues. Today though it just couldn't keep up. Portability is my main reason so I'm concentrating on that. IQ is a little better than the 7D but I prefer my 1Ds2, I'm happy with what the little camera produces in the main though :)

Jennie by jj_glos, on Flickr

Last edited:
Associate
Better day yesterday :) Should hopefully be an even better day tomorrow when the X-T1 arrives :D

Have you got the 35mm?

I've only got out a couple of times with my X-T1 and 23mm but both times have really enjoyed using it, I just hate the fact my 56mm turned up the other day and I haven't had any time to do anything other then touch it up, ooh err... :eek:

Soldato
Yes I've got the 23mm, 35mm and 60mm at the moment. The 18-55 will arrive with the X-T1. The 60mm will fill in for a portrait lens until I can grab the 56mm for a nice price :)

What bag are you all using? I'd sort of overlooked that. I like the look of the Think Tank Retrospective 7, but I'm still looking...

Caporegime
I'm just not into lugging it all round, falling myself into thinking I will get into it sooner or later, I'd be happier with a smaller pocket size unit I can grab and go when going out for the day, or out with the family..

They said they have some in stock so can have a play when I'm down there :)

Thanks

Be sure you are buying into the right kind of mirror-less system.

if size was a big issue then the Fuji system may not be the best bet. the sensor size is the same so the lenses end up being the same size, and the Fuji build quality although a big plus adds to the size and weight of everything.

You may be much happier with a different system. m43 system in particular offers much smaller and lighter cameras and lenses in a system that competes favorably with DSLRs.

There are pros to cons to all of the mirrorless system systems so you need to weigh them all up.
http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/so-which-camera.html

Caporegime

And that is the problem with all the mirorrless system at the moment. None of them quite get it right.

You will probably call me a Nikon fanboy but the only mirorrless system that competes with DSLRs for AF, speed and responsiveness is the Nikon 1 but the cameras do have a loads of other quirks. The v3 is slightly better but way over priced.

If you can I would keep a DSLR and a mirrorless for the time being. Best of both worlds.

Soldato
The tech is improving, I know it's not quite there but it's close enough for me to give it a go. I'm not selling my DSLR gear just yet. I don't have any interest in m43, the Olympus handles nicely but the output doesn't do anything for me. I'm probably going to give the A7 a try to... I just have to reconcile that I'm not going to get what I have with a DSLR setup, difficult but if I manage it I'm golden :D

The Nikon 1 is pretty good actually, I nearly bought one for my daughter and to just mess around with. Overkill for a 5 year old though really!

I like the balance of the Fuji kit, the X-T1 with a grip handles nicely and I can remove the grip for a smaller body if needed. Any smaller than that and it's uncomfortable for me. The lenses are bigger than m43, but that's the penalty for the larger sensor. The 35mm f1.4 is still smaller than the old Sigma 30mm f1.4 I had though.

I actually enjoy using MF lenses a lot on the mirrorless which is why I might consider the A7 as well. That will definitely be used alongside DSLR kit though.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes I've got the 23mm, 35mm and 60mm at the moment. The 18-55 will arrive with the X-T1. The 60mm will fill in for a portrait lens until I can grab the 56mm for a nice price :)

What bag are you all using? I'd sort of overlooked that. I like the look of the Think Tank Retrospective 7, but I'm still looking...

Epic news on the X-T1, let us know how you get on with it.....

I had the same bag dilemma, all of my DSLR bags are overkill. For the moment I bought a cheap £12 bag from a high-street store. Enough space for the X-E2 with lens fitted, a second lens, two spare batteries and a couple of filters. Still on the lookout for something better.

Need to decide on a strap, my Joby sling has gone mysteriously AWOL.

Associate

Can you let me know how you get on with the 35mm on your X-T1 compared to the 23mm (Af response/speed).

I use a Crumpler Jackpack 4000 for my X-T1, 23mm, 56mm and it still has space for a bit more, it's just the right size to fit in my hiking pack.

I've also been looking at a Crumpler Light Delight which are also great bags.

Soldato
Can you let me know how you get on with the 35mm on your X-T1 compared to the 23mm (Af response/speed).

I use a Crumpler Jackpack 4000 for my X-T1, 23mm, 56mm and it still has space for a bit more, it's just the right size to fit in my hiking pack.

I've also been looking at a Crumpler Light Delight which are also great bags.

The 35 AF speed is slower than the 23 from reading a lot of X series forums, I had both but can't comment as I rarely used the 35 and sold it.

I use a Samsonite Toploader 400 for my X-T1 and I fit the XT-1, 56, 10-24, 18-55, 23 & 55-200 in there. There may also be room for the Nissin i40 flash when they get released.

There are definitely smaller bags and it's also quite square versus other bags that chamfer off towards their straps (like the Crumpler light delight), so probably not all that ideal for others but I don't find it too much to carry around.

Soldato
I've literally only had the X-T1 in my hands for 5 minutes (it is rather nice) but the 23mm seems faster to AF than the 35mm whereas I don't really notice a difference on the X-E1. The 60mm is much faster on the X-T1. The 35mm is noisier to focus which I think always tends to give you a false impression. I'll test more after work and let you know how I get on :)

Thanks for the info on bags all, I'll look into the options :)

Soldato
I've put my x-e2, 18-55 & 50-200 in to a Domke F-5XB, there's room for a spare battery, card and some filters to the side of the padding as well. It's pretty damn small and light like that.

Soldato
If seen that Domke mentioned a few times. I need to head into a store and have a good look at a few I reckon :)

Back to the X-T1, wow the pdaf makes a huge difference! The AF using the centre 9 areas really is rapid, I like :D

Soldato
If seen that Domke mentioned a few times. I need to head into a store and have a good look at a few I reckon :)

Back to the X-T1, wow the pdaf makes a huge difference! The AF using the centre 9 areas really is rapid, I like :D

yeah it looks good in rugged wear or the black (one I've got). Some of the other colours are a bit funky

http://www.domkebags.co.uk/en/domke-bags/14-domke-f-5xb-shoulder-bag.html

they have been around for ages, make a lot of classic looking camera bags.

Associate
Took this whilst he was in his bouncer chilling out. He'd had his jabs today so was quite subdued. I have to say I still love the way the Xtrans sensor handles noise. Added a little clarity to his eyes and a radial filer around them to add some focus. As always thoughts and feedback very welcome

DSCF2732 by moran.simon, on Flickr

Soldato
I find the crop a bit odd to be honest?

ISO6400 isn't too bad is it? No noise reduction (I don't mind noise as long as it isn't boat loads of colour noise!), and taken with a cheap 300mm f4 lens that I am sure is actually made out of coke bottles...

Back
Top Bottom