The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Permabanned
But if they are not that more powerful than what we have now how are they gonna provide the power for these future games regardless of 8gb?

4GB may be fine in all games with 1 screen and a single GPU but if you play at crazy high surround RES's you need more than 1 GPU and 4GB is only mirrored so does not mean 4+4=8Gb so 8GB GPU's will help.

I agree in part that only a high end new Gen GPU would really have the grunt to use most of the 8GB (Titans can be seen using nearly all their 6GB VRam in some game benches here) but again this changes as you add more GPU's which does multiple the GPU grunt but does not multiply the VRAM.

Associate
I got my hands on one of these last week and I can happily say the hype surrounding it is justified. At first it was a bit disconcerting just how responsive and smooth it is when using g sync, especially in fps's, wonderful for anyone like me who really notices any tearing and stuttering.

I was pleasantly surprised that the framerates were not much worse at 1440p no AA compared to 1080p 4x.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet in this tread but I've encountered a driver bug where if a game loads using g sync at 1440p and 144Hz it says out of range. The only fix for now is to unplug the display port and plug it back in and it worked fine after. This has only happened for me once but I had a brown trousers moment thinking the g sync module had broken. An Asus rep said they are working with Nvidia on a fix for the next driver update.

Great service once again OC and thankfully mine has no dead pixels but the guarantee was nice to have!

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet in this tread but I've encountered a driver bug where if a game loads using g sync at 1440p and 144Hz it says out of range. The only fix for now is to unplug the display port and plug it back in and it worked fine after. This has only happened for me once but I had a brown trousers moment thinking the g sync module had broken. An Asus rep said they are working with Nvidia on a fix for the next driver update.

This has happened to me once so far, a system reboot also resolved it if you don't fancy fiddling with the cabling

Associate
This has happened to me once so far, a system reboot also resolved it if you don't fancy fiddling with the cabling

A restart didn't work for mine, I tried clean installs of the latest drivers and the drivers provided on the cd with restarts and the problem persisted. The option for G sync in the nvidia control panel was missing completely hence why I thought the module had failed until I unplugged and plugged it back in and then it was immediately detected again. Hope they fix it soon!!

Associate
980 / 970 4GB reference cards with 8GB coming at a later date with custom coolers. Can't say any more but don't expect a huge leap in performance over current single GPU stuff.

Other people had said these were going to be slower than a 780ti, so your implication that they will be faster but not hugely is appreciated ;)

I wonder how they will compare with the 780ti on pricing...

I haz 4090!
Don
Annnnnnnnnnd it's on its way back! I like DPD, it's nice how a single driver covers each area, getting quite friendly with the guy now. In a no homo way obviously.

Soldato
You're assuming that the 980 is a replacement for 780Ti. I'm expecting the 980 to be 20% quicker than the 780 putting it almost on par with the 780Ti.

nvidia would be mental to put out a next series top end part that is slower than the previous series, it has to be quicker than a 780ti, even if it's 5-10% but it has to be something

Associate
I'm on the verge of getting one of these. I have 670 SLI (2gb vram) and I normally use Vsync. It's difficult to know if 1440p is going to work on this setup. I mean I don't generally use a lot of AA anyway as I get frame drops else.

I did do some downsampling and 1440p SEEMS to run ok on this downsampled to 1080p.

I take it with Gsync it doesnt hit the FPS like vsync does so theoretically it would work ok as I would be getting the full power of SLI (be it vram limited slightly)?

I plan on picking up whatever the new series of cards are anyway so this is just a stop gap.

Associate
Annnnnnnnnnd it's on its way back! I like DPD, it's nice how a single driver covers each area, getting quite friendly with the guy now. In a no homo way obviously.

Pfft, you are only an hour away from OcUK, would have had it straight away if you drove there ;)

I did a 5 hour round trip from Bristol to replace mine, I just couldn't be without it!!

Associate
I'm on the verge of getting one of these. I have 670 SLI (2gb vram) and I normally use Vsync. It's difficult to know if 1440p is going to work on this setup. I mean I don't generally use a lot of AA anyway as I get frame drops else.

I did do some downsampling and 1440p SEEMS to run ok on this downsampled to 1080p.

I take it with Gsync it doesnt hit the FPS like vsync does so theoretically it would work ok as I would be getting the full power of SLI (be it vram limited slightly)?

I plan on picking up whatever the new series of cards are anyway so this is just a stop gap.

I only have asseto corsa installed at the moment but I can run it maxed out with 8xaa and still get 80fps.

I haz 4090!
Don
Pfft, you are only an hour away from OcUK, would have had it straight away if you drove there ;)

I did a 5 hour round trip from Bristol to replace mine, I just couldn't be without it!!

Hah, I was tempted but I think a couple of days away from CoD is just what the doctor ordered. :)

Back
Top Bottom