• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** A NEW BEST SUB £300 CARD? AMD 290X 8GB!! **

OcUK Staff
OP
Will an 850W EVGA G2 PSU with a OC'd 5820k @4.4, 16GB RAM, x2 SSD's, x1 HD, Nepton 240M AIO, and x4 additional fans run x2 of these cards in Crossfire without getting upset?

You will be right on the limit, but if you run the cards at stock should be OK, if overclocking the cards then I doubt it.

Soldato
ive used both the 290 and 290x at 1400p and you cant tell the difference in games but at theses prices I think would stump up the little extra for the x
Yes i meant the X, I meant for single card 4GB or 8GB, as from what I understand you'd run out of GPU grunt before you utilise the 8GB anyway, but if you'll benefit from SOME of that extra RAM at least, it still seems a smarter buy. I think, but I don't know.

Caporegime
Christ for a min than matt I thought you joined in to buy some more 290 cards:D

I've got two 295x2's coming tomorrow mate, along with a 750D, red leds, and yet more of those wonderfu PWM Noctua Industrials. :D:cool:

EDIT

Of course i still have my 4x290X 8GB cards for those games that need the extra video memory. :)

Soldato
Yes i meant the X, I meant for single card 4GB or 8GB, as from what I understand you'd run out of GPU grunt before you utilise the 8GB anyway, but if you'll benefit from SOME of that extra RAM at least, it still seems a smarter buy. I think, but I don't know.

its hard to say, ive never had any problems with the 4gb cards at 1400p but with all that's gone on with the 970 who knows whats coming next

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Argh... do I RMA my 970s for a pair of 290x 8gb given that my 3440 x 1440 monitor is just around the corner!!

Decisions...

Are there any reference design cards and would they survive being sandwiched 3 up on an x58 board?

OcUK Staff
OP
Argh... do I RMA my 970s for a pair of 290x 8gb given that my 3440 x 1440 monitor is just around the corner!!

Decisions...

Are there any reference design cards and would they survive being sandwiched 3 up on an x58 board?

Yes this one:

Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card **OcUK WorldWide Exclusive** @ £329.99 inc VAT

GX-359-SP_400.jpg

As requested by our customers and actioned by us here at OcUK this is the worlds ONLY reference PCB and reference blower cooler 8GB card available and only exclusively from OcUK in the world. Perfect for customers who want to run 3-way or 4-way crossfire or fit waterblocks. Once again OcUK delivers because we listen to our customers!

AMD Radeon R9 290X is a new graphics card powered by the latest AMD Radeon™ R9 290X graphics-processing unit (GPU). 8GB of super-fast GDDR5 memory for the best gaming experience at the highest resolutions including 4k and incorporates AMD Eyefinity and TrueAudio technologies to enable expansive multi-display setups and more accurate environmental sounds. R9 290X also includes support for both DirectX® 11.2 and AMD's new Mantle application programming interface (API) for great handling of even the most-demanding PC games.

Specification:-
- Radeon R9 290X
- GPU: Hawaii XT
- Stream Processors: 2816
- ROPS: 64
- Core Speed: 1000MHz
- Memory Speed: 5000Mhz
- Memory interface: 512-Bit
- Memory capacity: 8192MB GDDR5
- Cooling: 2-Slot Blower Fan
- Fan Speed: 20% - 40% (Quiet Mode) & 20%-55% (Uber Mode)
- PCI-Express X16 lane required
- 750W or greater PSU required
- Power Connectors: 8-pin + 6-pin required
- Display Outputs: 2x Dual Link DVI, 1x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort
- Warranty: 2yr

Only £329.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Soldato
I would really love to get x2 of these MSI 8GB cards in Crossfire, but being right on the limit with my 850W PSU has me very concerned, and I cannot justify a new one when I only bought this one 2 months ago. GAH!

Caporegime

Decisions...

Ste i would not recommend using a 290 card with an x58 motherboard as i believe the NForce 200 PCI-E switching chip causes problems with our graphics cards XDMA technology. Sorry to say this, as I'd love to see you using our cards but at the same time i don't want you to have problems. This is only a problem on old motherboards that use that old PCI-E switch. This issue does not affect any other boards using different PCI-E switches seen on newer motherboards.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I would really love to get x2 of these MSI 8GB cards in Crossfire, but being right on the limit with my 850W PSU has me very concerned, and I cannot justify a new one when I only bought this one 2 months ago. GAH!

If the PSU is a high quality unit, it will be fine. I used 290X Crossfire at stock on a 750W Silver Seasonic PSU without issue and with my 2700K at 5Ghz. Of course though, this will not leave you much headroom for overclocking the gpus.

Back
Top Bottom