• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** A NEW BEST SUB £300 CARD? AMD 290X 8GB!! **

Associate
I think that will be fine actually.

Yes, here.

That should be fine. :)

I was genuinely interested in getting one of these however those benchmarks show little to no difference in performance between the 4gb and 8gb versions. This complicates the issue of what to replace my 970's with. I don't know whether to wait for the new AMD cards or whether these 8gb 290x's will start to come into their own as newer titles comes out. id be using them at 3440x1440.

Soldato
I was genuinely interested in getting one of these however those benchmarks show little to no difference in performance between the 4gb and 8gb versions. This complicates the issue of what to replace my 970's with. I don't know whether to wait for the new AMD cards or whether these 8gb 290x's will start to come into their own as newer titles comes out. id be using them at 3440x1440.
I was wondering the same thing. There does seem to be very little that will really utilise that extra RAM at the moment, but how that will change who knows? GTAV will no doubt demand a fair bit, as will Witcher 3. But in excess of 4GB? Even if it did, these games would hardly be unplayable if you notched the details down. Seems that 4K is where you would benefit the most from the 8GB. At ultrawide res, I don't see that 290X 4GB in Crossfire would struggle though, and you'd be able to run it pretty close to maxed out in most games.

Last edited:
Caporegime

The problem is if you don't use a game that uses more than 4gb of video memory then there won't be much difference. If the game does use more than 4gb, then the difference is immediately noticeable.

los

los

Associate
How long is the powercolour at that price?
I was hoping the 290x lightning was going to come up at another amazing price on TWO, but it didn't £8 off :(
I can't help but think I want a 290x rather than the bargain 290

Caporegime
How long is the powercolour at that price?
I was hoping the 290x lightning was going to come up at another amazing price on TWO, but it didn't £8 off :(
I can't help but think I want a 290x rather than the bargain 290

Be patient dude, 290X's are now hitting the MM at less than £200

Back
Top Bottom