• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***AMD Freesync owners thread***

Soldato
Yes, I'm not sure if OCUK can deduct an amount as it's been used though. Best off asking someone else about that.

The law just says that you can inspect it as you would in a shop - shops quite often have monitors on display so you be able to check for stuff like this before buying one. They would be on pretty shaky ground trying to charge a restocking fee on a monitor that is basically faulty.

Soldato
I'm not certain if it is a fault though, as you can see from other users they can't see it.
No two monitors are the same, even if they are the same model. Putting Freesync aside, thre are many example monitors having problems of blacklight bleed, IPS glow etc...some users have them, some users don't despite the model of the monitors are the same.

As I mentioned, there's no harm try asking in CS...the worst is that they would say no, and it won't be any different to your current situation of stuck with the monitor. Just memeber to mention how unhappy you are with the ghosting problem.

Permabanned
Crossfire support is coming in the April driver (so expect that around July).

An then you've just gotta deal with the profile support, Dum dah dum dum... It's never ending...

I don't know which way to go now, I'm really glad I didn't jump in and buy one or the other straight away. Although currently on an AMD gpu I'm upgrading once the 300 series is out and we know more regarding the sync brothers so I'm still uncommitted.

Soldato
I'm not sure why people are 'surprised' to see 'ghosting' on the BenQ XL2730Z. All BenQ XL Series gaming monitors in existence how suffered from inverse ghosting (overshoot) when 'AMA' is enabled. Given the high refresh rate and rapid pixel responses overall this tends to be reasonably faint as far as inverse ghosting goes and very short-lived. As a result it isn't something all users will notice, and many would find it preferable to disabling AMA which brings with it considerable conventional trailing due to some sluggish pixel transitions.

Nvidia carefully optimises the pixel overdrive algorithm on G-SYNC monitors, which they do exceptionally well from what I've seen. With FreeSync the monitor manufacturer is responsible for getting the most out of the monitor and the panel it uses. AMD have no say in how things are optimised and unfortunately BenQ likes to push for strong acceleration on its XL monitors whether there are negative consequences or not. But hey, it's not as bad as the rubbish presets that even visually impaired gamers would find obnoxious. :)

Soldato
To be honest I'd wait to see what the ASUS MG279Q brings to the table. Especially if you were keen on going/staying on the AMD side.

Any thoughts about the progression of async and how quickly monitors will improve? Ta for the great post as usual :cool:

Associate
I'm still waiting on a review of the BenQ that assesses input lag. G-Sync increased input lag at high frame rates (130+ FPS). AMD claimed that FreeSync wouldn't do that, but since the product launched they haven't been marketing that difference.

Not sure why, either it's not true or the marketing department is inept. Either way I want to know before I lay down cash. Unfortunately monitor reviews are pretty dire. TFTCentral seems like one of the best sources but they didn't test G-Sync input lag at all. Blurbusters is the only site that I know of which did a thorough test, but they produce very little content.

Soldato
I'm still waiting on a review of the BenQ that assesses input lag. G-Sync increased input lag at high frame rates (130+ FPS). AMD claimed that FreeSync wouldn't do that, but since the product launched they haven't been marketing that difference.

Not sure why, either it's not true or the marketing department is inept. Either way I want to know before I lay down cash. Unfortunately monitor reviews are pretty dire. TFTCentral seems like one of the best sources but they didn't test G-Sync input lag at all. Blurbusters is the only site that I know of which did a thorough test, but they produce very little content.

I saw a slide yest that had like 4 boxes showing the benefits and one of them was a pic of a mouse with "less latency" or "more responsive" or somesuch. Can anyone find it?

edit: here it is

XrApKLT.jpg

Soldato

I saw a slide yest that had like 4 boxes showing the benefits and one of them was a pic of a mouse with "less latency" or "more responsive" or somesuch. Can anyone find it?

edit: here it is

XrApKLT.jpg

Its because it was rubbish, that's why. They'd be in court if they tried to push a marketing angle on something that wasn't true as its essentially slander.

As for the BenQ monitors with their insane AMA ghosting and horrid presets, I'd avoid if I were you guys! Theres bound to be better monitors being released over the next few months so its just a matter of being patient for that one that suits your needs the most. Being a gsync user, I'm pigeonholed into Nvidia tech, which isn't a great position to be in if I'm honest. However, I can't game on my pc now without gsync enabled in pretty much any game as the image quality is genuinely terrible without it! I suspect you freesync guys are experiencing the same or very similar things when using the tech too!

Associate
I saw a slide yest that had like 4 boxes showing the benefits and one of them was a pic of a mouse with "less latency" or "more responsive" or somesuch.

I wouldn't call that a comparison with G-Sync though, it's more of a general feature list, it's not specifically claiming superiority over G-Sync.

On the other hand AMD did tell journalists that G-Sync cost around 1.5% in FPS while FreeSync doesn't. Anandtech couldn't reproduce the results however.

Perhaps they did mention input latency to reviewers but they chose to ignore it. Many reviewers simply don't know how to measure it. BlurBusters have a brilliant and fairly cheap method worked out.

Soldato

G-SYNC increases input lag when the frame rate exceeded the refresh rate cap of the monitor, because it essentially shunts the GPU into using V-SYNC. 'FreeSync' behaves in exactly the same way, unless you disable V-SYNC in which case you will get tearing if the frame rate exceeds the upper refresh rate limit of the monitor.

Soldato
G-SYNC increases input lag when the frame rate exceeded the refresh rate cap of the monitor, because it essentially shunts the GPU into using V-SYNC. 'FreeSync' behaves in exactly the same way, unless you disable V-SYNC in which case you will get tearing if the frame rate exceeds the upper refresh rate limit of the monitor.

Yeah they must have been referring to that.

Now that I think about it IIRC there is a reason NV force vsync but can't remember why.

Soldato
Any thoughts about the progression of async and how quickly monitors will improve? Ta for the great post as usual :cool:

Well I know that a lot of monitor manufacturers are interested in the technology and will be revealing a range of products in the coming months (mainly starting in the summer). We will see a much broader range of Adaptive-Sync monitors than we have with G-SYNC monitors and the manufacturers seem much more willing to adopt the technology. There isn't the same premium attached (due to not needing special 'G-SYNC scaler' hardware) and they don't have their manufacturer specific OSD functionality/tweaks or extra ports beyond DisplayPort locked off.

I'm also quite confident that BenQ will release their own AHVA ('IPS-type') model with Adaptive-Sync at some point, it would be a bit odd if they didn't given that they're the parent company of AUO who manufacture the panel Acer and ASUS use for their 120Hz+ 'IPS' models. I just wish Nvidia would swallow their pride and support the technology, it would be much better for the consumer that way!

Associate

If you follow the links I posted you see that lag is also introduced near, but below, the maximum refresh rate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom