• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***AMD Freesync owners thread***

Soldato
Its because it was rubbish, that's why. They'd be in court if they tried to push a marketing angle on something that wasn't true as its essentially slander.

As for the BenQ monitors with their insane AMA ghosting and horrid presets, I'd avoid if I were you guys! Theres bound to be better monitors being released over the next few months so its just a matter of being patient for that one that suits your needs the most. Being a gsync user, I'm pigeonholed into Nvidia tech, which isn't a great position to be in if I'm honest. However, I can't game on my pc now without gsync enabled in pretty much any game as the image quality is genuinely terrible without it! I suspect you freesync guys are experiencing the same or very similar things when using the tech too!

This my 3rd BenQ display and can't fault them.. The only downside would be there choice of stock preset, but being a competitive gaming monitor you can understand why.
If you understand your way around display test patterns you can get some really decent image quality..

The ghosting am seeing on stock preset I also get on my other BenQ xl2420t but instead of lowing contrast switching off ama fixed that..

Soldato
I really want to buy a new monitor but at the start of every new gen there's always corners cut and bodge job implementations, I'm hoping these new panels shape up quickly.

Soldato
If you follow the links I posted you see that lag is also introduced near, but below, the maximum refresh rate.

I read that article when it was posted back in January last year. I will re-read it but I'm fairly sure Mark concluded that there was no statistically significant increase in input lag with G-SYNC unless the frame rate exceeded the upper refresh limit. :confused:

Associate
I read that article when it was posted back in January last year. I will re-read it but I'm fairly sure Mark concluded that there was no statistically significant increase in input lag with G-SYNC unless the frame rate exceeded the upper refresh limit. :confused:

There was around 16ms of additional lag if the FPS was over 144, he also found the same lag when capped at 143. If you scroll down to the comments he says that lag starts to be introduced around 140 FPS.

He doesn't compare with V-Sync on unfortunately, only V-Sync off. But on a 144Hz monitor V-Sync lag should be no more than 7ms, he's observing 16ms. He does say that this could be a driver issue, but he leaves it at that and there's been no update to it nor any word from NVidia.

So this is what I mean about monitor reviews being dire, at least when it comes to these new variable refresh rate technologies.

Last edited:
Soldato

What about Gsync and CSGO? They had to limit frame rate to 120 to reduce input lag..

When using Freesync and 144fps cap I notice no input lag infact it feels the same as running 300fps to me..

Soldato
What about Gsync and CSGO? They had to limit frame rate to 120 to reduce input lag..

When using Freesync and 144fps cap I notice no input lag infact it feels the same as running 300fps to me..

'A driver issue' seems to be the best guess on that one. It isn't a universal issue with G-SYNC, but it is certainly worth noting anyway. At any rate, I wasn't trying to defend G-SYNC in any way. I quite clearly feel AMD have taken the better approach here.

Soldato
I'm not sure why people are 'surprised' to see 'ghosting' on the BenQ XL2730Z. All BenQ XL Series gaming monitors in existence how suffered from inverse ghosting (overshoot) when 'AMA' is enabled. Given the high refresh rate and rapid pixel responses overall this tends to be reasonably faint as far as inverse ghosting goes and very short-lived. As a result it isn't something all users will notice, and many would find it preferable to disabling AMA which brings with it considerable conventional trailing due to some sluggish pixel transitions.

Nvidia carefully optimises the pixel overdrive algorithm on G-SYNC monitors, which they do exceptionally well from what I've seen. With FreeSync the monitor manufacturer is responsible for getting the most out of the monitor and the panel it uses. AMD have no say in how things are optimised and unfortunately BenQ likes to push for strong acceleration on its XL monitors whether there are negative consequences or not. But hey, it's not as bad as the rubbish presets that even visually impaired gamers would find obnoxious. :)

I have AMA off and it does still ghost in terms of a trail. however in game it's totally not noticeable

Soldato
I have AMA off and it does still ghost in terms of a trail. however in game it's totally not noticeable

I will of course be testing this myself. It's possible that the panel is just natively rather fast. But sensitivity to this sort of thing varies greatly between different individuals, so perhaps you just aren't as sensitive to it? But you notice inverse ghosting with AMA on 'High' (and definitely 'Premium I would assume)?

Soldato
Not going to lie but FreeSync is making me re-think if I ever want to go Crossfire next time...

Running games on single 290x with FreeSync is soooo Smooth!

I am truly blown away by it.

Hardline with or without FreeSync 1440p Ultra No MSAA is Night and Day!
Metro LL is worlds apart...

Just everything is much better its hard to explain.. It really is the Future of PC gaming.

couple question for AMDMatt if he can answer.. Can driver support improve games even more ?? or is everything already done as far as driver support for FreeSync?
I ask this because one game I noticed has issue is Shadow Warrior you forced to use Vsync I think on that game + Freesync.

Apart from that everything has been rock solid..

Bring on Mortal Kombat X and GTA5 now :D

Caporegime
I'd be more sold on it if there was a better range of refresh rates. A 4k panel with 30 to 75hz+ or around that would be nice. This ghosting issue is also something that needs sorted, whether its the panels or something to do with freesync causing it.

Soldato
I'd be more sold on it if there was a better range of refresh rates. A 4k panel with 30 to 75hz+ or around that would be nice. This ghosting issue is also something that needs sorted, whether its the panels or something to do with freesync causing it.

No ghosting here after calibration :D Its BenQ choice of stock preset.. This nothing to do with Freesync..

PCper have made this blown way over the top.. Making people believe the ghosting is a problem with Freesync..

I think they only one guy on here so far say they see Ghosting in games.. I seen it in one game before I calibrated the display Eye balling for now..

The range on the Ben! is very good I find 40-144.. 4k was never going to be a buy from me anyways it would need 120hz+ before I even think about 4K.. By then we should have GPUs powerful enough to make 4K enjoyable gaming experience. Single GPU etc

Caporegime
Caporegime
Not going to lie but FreeSync is making me re-think if I ever want to go Crossfire next time...

Running games on single 290x with FreeSync is soooo Smooth!

I am truly blown away by it.

Hardline with or without FreeSync 1440p Ultra No MSAA is Night and Day!
Metro LL is worlds apart...

Just everything is much better its hard to explain.. It really is the Future of PC gaming.

couple question for AMDMatt if he can answer.. Can driver support improve games even more ?? or is everything already done as far as driver support for FreeSync?
I ask this because one game I noticed has issue is Shadow Warrior you forced to use Vsync I think on that game + Freesync.

Apart from that everything has been rock solid..

Bring on Mortal Kombat X and GTA5 now :D

Good to hear.

It should work with all games, but if any problems crop up with a specific title just let me know.

Noted on Shadow Warrior.

Are there any 4k freesync monitors available / imminent?

Samsung have five different 4K VA panels coming, but i don't know the exact date. :)

Caporegime
No ghosting here after calibration :D Its BenQ choice of stock preset.. This nothing to do with Freesync..

PCper have made this blown way over the top.. Making people believe the ghosting is a problem with Freesync..

I think they only one guy on here so far say they see Ghosting in games.. I seen it in one game before I calibrated the display Eye balling for now..

The range on the Ben! is very good I find 40-144.. 4k was never going to be a buy from me anyways it would need 120hz+ before I even think about 4K.. By then we should have GPUs powerful enough to make 4K enjoyable gaming experience. Single GPU etc

I've just been reading the owners thread with great interest. Seems like the owners are happy and can't notice any ghosting. :)

Back
Top Bottom