HP Microserver+XPEnology

Soldato
If you are, and you're using the xpenology 5.1 boot image, according to the main forum you won't have access to the webgui or SSH. Synology made considerable changes across the security and the team are trying to get their boot images to work with these changed files.

I've read that you can still access the shares and do everything as normal, but the webgui is not working... If it does, then have you done any customisation at all?

Caporegime
Right I've updated to 5.1-5022 without a problem. But the next update is for 5.2, is update 5 available to download somewhere and manually install it?

Caporegime
For some reason it didn't restart automatically so had to pull the power and then boot back up. Booted fine but volumes didn't show so rebooted and everything worked without an issue. UI is a lot more responsive now as well.

I didn't do the BIOS update when I first got it, can I do that now and then add another drive?

Soldato
Can't get my disk mounted after security update to DSM 5.1-5055 :(

Abnormality detected. All volumes have been dismounted :(

Please help!

edit:
I rolled back using this

Last edited:
Associate
Newbie OcUK member! Figured I should join, since this thread on the Synology / Microserver combination is one of the more active ones around. Updating the BIOS and setting up Xpenology was all pretty painless.

I've recently shifted from WHS2011/DriveBender on a N54L to Xpenology on another N54L, moved everything across, etc; 4x 3TB Hitachi and Toshiba drives in SHR with a single parity drive. The performance is similar overall, however Xpenology manages with a lot less RAM (I've got 4GB ECC in there, down from 8GB ECC), lower CPU usage, and seemingly overall faster response / raw IOps - all while still handling SABnzbd, Couchpotato and SickBeard. It's also a fair bit easier to manage.

I've also re-used an old N36L to set up a second unit, currently just with 2x 2TB drives; this is supposed to be a versioned backup of the important stuff (documents and photos), possibly with cloud backup as well - Glacier looks tempting. I'll need to add more drive in due course. I'm still debating whether to add another 2x 2TB to easily make a SHR array, or get four new drives.

Issues so far:
- sometime yesterday, the N54L Xpenology just died; rebooting wouldn't bring it back up, somewhere between swapping 8GB ECC for 4GB ECC and resetting the CMOS I made it work again. All fine now, strangely, but will keep an eye on it
- I booted one of these up at 100Mbps NIC speed (4-wire cable, by mistake); despite swapping the cable to a 8-wire while running and the Status showing 1000Mbps, transfers were limited to 100Mbps until I rebooted; maybe just a bug.

Happy to help with any questions etc.

Associate
Have just purchased a N54L off the members market and i'm looking to get XPEnology running on it. Now quick question about using existing drives. If the drives are close to capacity with media content, will this data get erased if use those drives in the microserver? i'm getting some new drives for the unit but also wanted to port over my drives from another NAS unit into the microserver but don't want to loose the data.
is this possible?

Xpenology will not be able to re-use drives while keeping the data on them, so I'm afraid that won't work. You could get one or two new drives and set up a new volume (ideally two drives so that you can set up RAID1 for some safety), copy the data across, add two or three of the old drives which will then be wiped (do a full initialisation and scan to make sure they're healthy), and change the volume from RAID1 to RAID5 by adding the drive(s); this shouldn't, in theory, affect the data - you just have to let it finish, it'll take a while.

See here for changing RAID type: https://help.synology.com/dsm/?sect...anager/volume_diskgroup_change_raid_type.html

so I have 4 x 3tb in my server, all raided to give performance / resilience

have 6tb space all together as a result

it is time to change the drives to 4tb drives or 6tb if the server allows

what's the best way to do this? can I remove 2 alternating drives and pop in 2 x 6tb letting it auto rebuild the raid and then once done remove the other 2 x 3tb then replacing and letting it auto rebuild again? or is it wishful thinking

any advice is appreciated :)

Before you start, I'd highly recommend running a Scrub on your volume to ensure that the data is sane:
Storage Manager -> Disk Group -> Manage -> Start data scrubbing

I definitely wouldn't remove two drives at a time; I take it you've either got RAID 10 or RAID 6?
I would follow this procedure, one drive at a time: https://help.synology.com/dsm/?sect...ger/volume_diskgroup_expand_replace_disk.html

Last edited:
Soldato
removed 2 alternating drives and everything remained the same with no issues at all - thanks, will add in 2 more 6tb drives next week and do the same with the other 2 replacing them too after the rebuild

sinology assistant detected the 2 drives removed and warned of no resilience in the notification section

so all is good

p.s. yes using raid 10

Associate
There is a much easier way to do this.

Plug in the USB with the new DSM 5.1-5055 bootloader (you do not need to power down the server.)

Do a manual update of the DSM 5.1-5055 pat file.

This worked like a charm for me.

I cannot take the credit for this. I found it on the xpenology forum site.

Soldato
There is a much easier way to do this.

Plug in the USB with the new DSM 5.1-5055 bootloader (you do not need to power down the server.)

Do a manual update of the DSM 5.1-5055 pat file.

This worked like a charm for me.

I cannot take the credit for this. I found it on the xpenology forum site.

Thanks, worked a treat, especially as I don't have mine connected to a screen any longer :)

Soldato
Sorry, I'm back on a windows + Flexraid solution so didn't realise that the update wasn't update 5! New bootloader released with support for 5.1-5055.

New bootloader is available for 5.1-5055 which should sort the problems.

Cool. I'm running it off esxi. I guess I would need to change the boot image in my datastore after running the update?

I'll probably just wait until 5.2 is more stable.

Associate
Seeing the cashback offer on the Gen8 and I'm considering it instead of a Synology box for NAS / backup purposes.

Is it possible to setup Xpenology on an SSD running on its own as a RAID 0 (to resolve the many reported fan problems) and at a later date install 2 HDD's and run those as a RAID 1 so the OS remains on a separate drive outside of the HDD's.

Bear in mind I'm a complete n00b with RAID etc so pretend you are replying to a 5 year old... and then dumb your answer down even further lol.

Associate
I have 5.0-4493 running (on hardware, no VM) with 4 drives under RAID 5, using the onboard SATA.

Code:
cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md2 : active raid5 sda5[0] sdd5[3] sdc5[2] sdb5[1]
      5846338944 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1] sdc2[2] sdd2[3]
      2097088 blocks [12/4] [UUUU________]

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1] sdc1[2] sdd1[3]
      2490176 blocks [12/4] [UUUU________]

unused devices: <none>

I have a HP Smartarray P410 card installed and want to expand the setup with another 4 identical drives.
Is there a guide anyone can link to for this? The 4 new drives do not show up as unused devices in the above device scan (or anywhere in the DSM).
I've tried this with a RAID 5 array on the P410 and also 4 individual RAID 0 drives.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom