HP Microserver+XPEnology

Associate
Considering changing to a gen8 myself, no issues at all with xpenology at all ?

I haven't had any - setup was pretty much identical to my LG nas as far as folders and users / permissions was concerned. i only have plex, download manager for torrents and logitech media server installed (all standard plugins from synology so support is good with regular updates etc) but there are loads more for different apps & functions if you need them, I just don't.

I am using the synology software to run all four disks as a single volume, with single disc failure coverage. With 4 x 3tb installed I get almost 9tb space available for use.

I started with 1 3tb and a couple 1tb disks installed, then as I moved data in I was able to swap out the smaller disks for larger ones. Went smoothly, if a little slow (took a few days) as the volume needs to rebuild after each swap.

It seems rock solid - even sends me emails when anything unusual happens, like after a powercut.

I can't recommend it highly enough really. Especially at the price.

Associate
I currently have two systems a 3x3TB HTPC with Kodi installed that I use to play media through my tv. Then a gaming pc with one 3TB drive plus other drives which we can ignore.

Currently the the HTPC has 2 of the 3 drives full and they're both cloned to 2 3TB drives for backup, these are internal drives I dock and store elsewhere. The third 3TB drive I backup to my gaming PC while I add more media to it, once full I will take out the backup drive from my gaming PC and store it with my other two backup drives and then add a 4th to my HTPC and replace the backup drive in my PC to repeat the process. (hope that makes sense)

I have a N40L kicking about doing nothing it's standard with the only upgrade being a disk tray in the optical bay. I don't know much about RAID configs, but would I benefit from putting 5 of my 3TB drives in that and install XPEnology and just use my HTPC to play the media from it? It sounds like I would gain more usable storage because I wouldn't be using a drive to clone a drive. I could just have a RAID config where if a drive fails I replace it and not loose any data?

If it turns out this would be a better solution I will spend some time and do my research, but would like to know if it's worthwhile before spending the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I installed this last night and came across 2 issues:

1) When I updated to DSM 5.2 via the control panel I now can't connect via the assistant
2) I can't find SABnzbd in the packages, I see many people have it working. I tried the manual install but the versions listed didn't correspond to the version of DSM (DS 3612xs).

Point 1 is not a big deal as I'll do a fresh install but point 2 is a bit of a worry. Do I need to install something first to make it show up?

Associate
I currently have two systems a 3x3TB HTPC with Kodi installed that I use to play media through my tv. Then a gaming pc with one 3TB drive plus other drives which we can ignore.

Currently the the HTPC has 2 of the 3 drives full and they're both cloned to 2 3TB drives for backup, these are internal drives I dock and store elsewhere. The third 3TB drive I backup to my gaming PC while I add more media to it, once full I will take out the backup drive from my gaming PC and store it with my other two backup drives and then add a 4th to my HTPC and replace the backup drive in my PC to repeat the process. (hope that makes sense)

I have a N40L kicking about doing nothing it's standard with the only upgrade being a disk tray in the optical bay. I don't know much about RAID configs, but would I benefit from putting 5 of my 3TB drives in that and install XPEnology and just use my HTPC to play the media from it? It sounds like I would gain more usable storage because I wouldn't be using a drive to clone a drive. I could just have a RAID config where if a drive fails I replace it and not loose any data?

If it turns out this would be a better solution I will spend some time and do my research, but would like to know if it's worthwhile before spending the time.

I have 4 x 3tb drives in mine and I have almost 9tb of usable space, with ability to have 1 drive fail and not loose any data.

Its not a raid as such, but the built in synology software that does the magic behind the seams. Well worth it IMO

Soldato
1) When I updated to DSM 5.2 via the control panel I now can't connect via the assistant

5.2 requires a new bootimage (v5.2-5565.2), so make sure you've written than to your boot drive/USB drive first. After that, you can then use Web Assistance to update/install the 5.2 PAT file - Tutorial.

There's also a new version of the Synology Assistance but you can also use the web address http://find.synology.com which'll do the same.

And obviously before updating your XPenology install, always read Xpenology.nl/Xpenology.com to see if there are any problems with the latest update.

Associate
I have 4 x 3tb drives in mine and I have almost 9tb of usable space, with ability to have 1 drive fail and not loose any data.

Its not a raid as such, but the built in synology software that does the magic behind the seams. Well worth it IMO

Thanks, I actually just read all 30 pages this morning and sounds pretty good so I just bought some bits I need to run 6 drives. Going with 5 x 3TB Reds and 1 x 2TB Green. Will install the 2TB first and then setup a SHR volume with one 3TB allocated for protection.

Last edited:
Associate
5.2 requires a new bootimage (v5.2-5565.2), so make sure you've written than to your boot drive/USB drive first. After that, you can then use Web Assistance to update/install the 5.2 PAT file - Tutorial.

There's also a new version of the Synology Assistance but you can also use the web address http://find.synology.com which'll do the same.

And obviously before updating your XPenology install, always read Xpenology.nl/Xpenology.com to see if there are any problems with the latest update.

Thanks for the info dude, seems like ages ago that I set it up! Quick one though, my data should be in tact if I follow the steps to upgrade right? cheers :D

Associate
Anyone know what would to my volume if my N40L broke and I had to replace it? Could I replace it with the a new Microserver and still keep the data providing I had the USB boot and the a copy of the DSM it was running at the time it died?

Associate
Hi Folks

Ok, so bit the bullet and got a gen 8 with 2x3tb harddrives. Got it all installed on latest version (but without update 2 patch) and I can connect via my web browser. The install was so easy.
Now for the dumb question - what next?
I mean in terms of router settings, making it visible on my home network etc. Is there an idiot guide anywhere?
I've had a few issues where it knocked out my pc's internet settings. I've now set it up on a static ip.
It seemed to disappear from view last night as well, even although it was still running it just would not find it again.
I can't get Plex working either :(
Probably really simple stuff, but I'm a bit baffled.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi Folks

Ok, so bit the bullet and got a gen 8 with 2x3tb harddrives. Got it all installed on latest version (but without update 2 patch) and I can connect via my web browser. The install was so easy.
Now for the dumb question - what next?
I mean in terms of router settings, making it visible on my home network etc. Is there an idiot guide anywhere?
I've had a few issues where it knocked out my pc's internet settings. I've now set it up on a static ip.
It seemed to disappear from view last night as well, even although it was still running it just would not find it again.
I can't get Plex working either :(
Probably really simple stuff, but I'm a bit baffled.

Thanks
Probably was set to auto update and has now installed 5.2 maybe
if so you need the new boot image on your usb stick or sd card

Soldato
I installed this last night and came across 2 issues:

2) I can't find SABnzbd in the packages, I see many people have it working. I tried the manual install but the versions listed didn't correspond to the version of DSM (DS 3612xs).

Point 1 is not a big deal as I'll do a fresh install but point 2 is a bit of a worry. Do I need to install something first to make it show up?
Just add http://packages.synocommunity.com as a packet source and you can find sabnzbd in the community part of the package center
Although i think you may have got this from another forum Mada ;)

Soldato
Haha thanks very much!

As I replied on the other forum, I thought the all button would incloude the community apps too. Oversight on my part!

Associate
quick one guys, if my boot usb stick went down, what would I have to do to get at my data on the drives? Would I have to set up another install and also set up the drive grouping and config exactly how it was before?

Soldato
...my data should be in tact if I follow the steps to upgrade right?

In theory, yes. But it's worth backing up just in case.

if my boot usb stick went down, what would I have to do to get at my data on the drives?

I would have thought imaging a new USB drive with the same bootloader image would be sufficient, as DSM is installed to and ran from the drives. Can't say i've tried it though.

Last edited:
Associate
I would have thought imaging a new USB drive with the same bootloader image would be sufficient, as DSM is installed to and ran from the drives. Can't say i've tried it though.

Good idea mate. Now its set up how I want it id hate to have to start over again. Is there a way to see which drives its installed on? I just wondering what would happen if one did go down, I don't have any parity on my data as I have other back ups. I quite like to be able to back up my settings is possible?
Cheers :D

Soldato
Is anyone using legit Surveillance Station (7.0) licenses with their XPenology install?

Just curious to know if there's going to be any issues doing that; otherwise i'll downgrade back to 6.3-3380.

Back
Top Bottom