HP Microserver+XPEnology

Soldato
Hi all
I've only had my N54 for a few days but I have installed XPEnology because I like XPEnology and the Synology mobile apps work :)

I used the img and pat files from here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_Edi7OdbFZla2NPa3MtNkFia3c&usp=sharing

And the 4.2 2013 modules from here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5tpWhEINjUONzhFaEgzazU4aEU&usp=sharing#list

The main thread is here lots of useful info there on how to install the files.. I have been testing the version I installed and so far so good.

I can confirm that the synology apps work, streaming to a android device worked if fact it's all good but faster then my DS211j
by some margin. I'm now transferring my fills to it via my backup and then I will really test.

I hope that a member could do a "How to install"?

Edit=I'm getting my full 12.6MB download speed :) I was only getting 6MB with the DS211j

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Things you need to get this port up and running.
1-A spare HD installed into bay one. All data will be deleted.
2-A USB stick with 2GB that you won't want to use any more as it stays in the server.
3-A copy of Win32DiskImage and WinSCP
4-Get the Synology assistent from the Synology site. I'm using the same one that I used with my DS211j. And install it ready.

Get the IMG and PAT file and the 4.2-02.05.2013.tar.gz from the links from the first post.

On the PC use the win32 disk image to flash the IMG file to the USB.
Then put it in the inside usb port at the front of the server do not turn it on yet

Make sure that you have a HD(data will be deleted)in bay one.
It's best to switch over your monitor so you can see it install.

Switch on the server and after a bit you should see lots of linux text which is good :)
Let it carry on till it has stopped completely.

Now switch back to the PC start synology assistant and it should show up.
if not try to search again. If it doesn't show up restart the server and try again.

I will assume that it shows up.Now take OUT the usb stick(you will need it later)
right click on the top part of synology assistant and you will see "install"

Click that and point it to were you have the PAT file click ok
and let it do it's thing. When you see a finsh icon press that then high lite your server and left click connect.

Almost dune now :)

If all goes well the synology web page should open where you put your details in Now go in to control panel and click on thermal and put a tick in SHH press ok.
Still in control panel click on FTP tick all 3 boxes.

Now start WinSCP and SHH in to it in SCP mode. now copy all the modules you just unpacked in to lib/module over write them all.

Ok so now you can start creating a volume and shared folders.
click on the top left icon and chose "Storage Manager" and have fun.

If you switch off the server the usb stick should be placed in the server.
But take it out after your server is up and running so the HDs go to sleep.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm very pleased with XPEnology I've copying 40GB of files to and from the N54 and so far so good.

It's way much faster then my old DS211j wished I'd bought one months ago.

Soldato
OP
The assistant once installed has a Resource Monitor\Photo Up loader\Printer devices you can connect with ect
Also you can use the PC to convert film files for mobile devices ect.

Also synology loves making thumbs.db for each picture so by letting the PC do the hard work makes the server faster.

That's the same port I put at the top of the thread. The Chinese are great at this kind of thing.

Soldato
OP
How did you manage that? I would be interested in perhaps sharing a folder to a few people using username & password combos...

Sorry I'm late. I signed up to No-Ip then I put that in the DDNS settings in synology.

Make an account and give them access to what you want(mine is video only\read only)
Then they can either login via a webpage or get the synology DS video mobile then put the addy and user\pass and bingo.

When the new Google TV comes here(HDMI stick) you can install all the android apps
including the Synology ones so you can access it via that.

Hope that helps.

Soldato
OP
I'm hard of hearing so I wouldn't hear it :)
I will start taking the usb stick out from now on. I'm hoping we get 4.3 update when it comes out.

So far loving my 4 bay(cheap)synology nas :)

Soldato
OP
My hard drives are not spinning down at all :(
my mate came round stuck his ear to the N54 and the HDs are still spinning. I have removed the usb and tried the unmounts way
but still the same. Any ideas folks?

I should say I'm very hard at hearing so I can't hear the HDs.

Soldato
OP
So the OS is installed onto the array/hard-drive (and later on i imagine it all runs in RAM anyway) and the USB drive is purely used to help booting the OS?

If that's the case, is it possible to installed the OS to the USB flash drive only, leaving the entire array for storage ie - FreeNas/Nas4Free?

Currently i've got a three drive setup, the standard 250GB drive and a pair of 1TB drives in raid 1. I originally installed it all with just the 250GB, added the array after it was all setup, so i'm assuming the OS is on the 250GB drive only (don't see why it'd replicate to the array) - but is there a way of determining which drive the OS resides?

That by the by, XPEnology is pretty damn impressive on the N36L and it has awesome R/W speeds compared to previous setups that use to run on it - SBS '08 and XP. Like deuse though, i'm not convinced the drives are spinning down - both hdparm and smartctl appear to continuously show them as 'active' and not idle.

I'm just about to try the syno hibernat debug tool and get a log of what's going on.

I just got a load of mubo jumbo errors starting with synorelayd[7071].

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
They definitely are on mine, I can hear them spinning back up and it takes a few seconds to respond if I click on the mapped network drive if they are in sleep mode, normally as usual it is instant..

My mate took out the fan and stopped all the synology apps and he could hear the drives.
They wasn't accessing but he could hear the motor still turning the platters.

But I'm still very happy with it and does everything what my old DS did.

Update.
I SSH syno_hibernate_debug_tool --enable 1 and got errors. so then I SSH syno_hibernate_debug_tool --enable-force_hibernation and I got a execution error.

Anybody know of any other way to try to see if Hibernation is working or a command to force Hibernation?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So in the var\log\messages I get

"
Aug 17 08:37:31 scemd: modules/disk_hibernation.c:1976 Force hibernation enable, idle minutes 10
Aug 17 08:37:31 scemd: modules/disk_hibernation.c:2008 Eunit Deep sleep timer 0"

wonder if the Deep Sleep should be something other than 0 ?

update I keep getting this every 10 mins the same time it should hibernate anyone got a clue?
Aug 17 16:14:20 synorelayd[7038]: synorelayd.cpp:563 regist command auth error

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Do tell! I haven't managed to look into WOL yet, but would definately be interested assuming the hard drives can then be spun down automatically by using a script to unmount the usb boot drive or something

First of all you got your real Mac address once you have this then SHH in to the server using root then your password.
See the post here by akaz.

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=910#p4226

Next follow this post by slave
http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=665&p=3463&hilit=synoinfo.conf#p1919

To test shut down the server as normal and then send a magic packet to it. I used WOL Magic Packet Sender from my PC.
I am using no-ip(free) for a web addres for the N54L which helps a lot.

The re-boot up time is long about 3-4 mins but I can't work out why?

Back
Top Bottom