• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
Im a bit worried now about the reference design ones, a few from the other thread are saying they run very hot (near 85c and close to thermal throttling) and are very loud, having ordered the Evga reference one myself this is has me a little concerned.

Should I change it to a non-referenced one or will it be ok?

from one that i saw the fan speed was only 63% too which thats seem low for the temp

Associate
Im a bit worried now about the reference design ones, a few from the other thread are saying they run very hot (near 85c and close to thermal throttling) and are very loud, having ordered the Evga reference one myself this is has me a little concerned.

Should I change it to a non-referenced one or will it be ok?

There's no issue! GTX 780Ti's had a target temperature of 83 degrees celcius.
You can always push the thermal throttle limit up to 91 degrees celcius and the cards will run at max speed without even getting hotter. I did so with my old 3x GTX 780 cards and now with my 3x 970 radial blower cards. Just have some fair airflow in your case.

Man of Honour
I'm hoping to have a pair of the EVGA reference ones under water by the end of the week. All depends on when OcUK get them in stock and posted.

Should give me that extra oompf I need over my 980 HydroCoppers in GTAV without having to spend sill amounts on a pair of Titan X's.

Associate
I think this post from another 980 ti thread would look good in here:

Well i can say right now the reference cooler doesnt seem to do a very good job at cooling this bad boy.

EDIT: And its pretty noisy to.. this is after 5 minutes of witcher 3 with everything maxed at 3440x1440 including hairworks.. was out in the wilderness where i got roughly 45 fps.
1693yhc.jpg

87 C° after 5 minutes with the fans running like hairdryers!?

Ouch!

But well done to the impulse driven consumers who pounced upon the early available reference versions at the ridiculously bloated prices (I mean bloated above MSRP). you are helping make some people richer than they should be and you should all celebrate your philanthropy by doing a roast above your desktop tower.....or something.

Associate

Ouch!

But well done to the impulse driven consumers who pounced upon the early available reference versions at the ridiculously bloated prices (I mean bloated above MSRP). you are helping make some people richer than they should be and you should all celebrate your philanthropy by doing a roast above your desktop tower.....or something.

if you read professional reviews (reference design )the noise and temp are similar to Titan X and Gtx 980

noise-load.gif

gpu-load.gif

74808.png

74809.png

74807.png

Last edited:
Soldato

Ouch!

Really, why do you care how other people spend their money?

And it's not surprising it gets host with ref cooler when pushed... It's got the same tdp as 290!

Associate
if you read professional reviews (reference design )the noise and temp are similar to Titan X and Gtx 980

noise-load.gif

gpu-load.gif

I don't read professional 'reviews'. Or at least I don't anymore.

I am the proud owner of a GT70 gaming laptop, which all the reviews I read beforehand assured me never went about 67C° under load. The truth is it will hit 87C° underload, before throttling, unless I sit with the Turbofan on (which sounds like a lawnmower), in which case it will hover around 82C° under load.

Instead, I pick my reviews. I like Techpowerup myself, and they told me that the 980 ti ran damn hot, and the fan done a rubbish job of keeping it cool, and sounded like a hairdryer in the process.

Thus, those aggregate stats from 'professional reviews' are utter horse****. It is well known that the 980 is a 'cool' card and therefore, the fans run under load at 33dB (according to TPU 980 ref review), when sitting 75cm away from the GPU. In contrast, the 980 ti under load runs at 42dB (TPU again). Now, that is almost 10dB. To the human ear, a 10dB increase is interpreted as being twice as loud.

Also, the reference fan on the GTX 980 kept the card below throttling temps, the same ref fan on the GTX 980 ti, does not prevent the card from throttling.

Caporegime

Ouch!

Stay mad :cool:

Associate
Really, why do you care how other people spend their money?

And it's not surprising it gets host with ref cooler when pushed... It's got the same tdp as 290!

Probably because I recognise the same hapless misguided consumerist impulsivenss in myself, and because I am fighting with it, and sneering at it is part of my way of combating it.

The 290 was totally of the wall hot with the ref coolers. Another dodo that I would never have touched with a 10ft long faeces covered bargepole....

....and besides, the 290x wasn't offering me enough performance boost over my OC'd HD 7970. I like my moneys worth, and I like a card to last. It is only since the likes of The Witcher 3 or GTA V that my HD 7970 is starting to show it's age at 1080p, so I have waited and waited.....

....and now there is about to be raft of cards from both the red n green teams offering over twice the grunt of my HD 7970. That is the kind of upgrade I don't mind shelling out these extortionate prices for.

I aint mad....

I will get me my Hybrid cooled 980 ti, or Fiji XT in due course. There is no need to rush. These things are being churned out in as big as volumes as vendors can manage.....and I won't be paying no bloated prices either.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Damn, so you telling me they run moar hot than a 290x? Thought nvidia cards were efficient and run cool and quiet? Lol :p

Goes to show, none of that nonsense matters in the end if the performance is there. Worse case scenario one can stick a card under water.

Soldato

Ouch!

Ouch...

Thats hot,

Edit
Sorry wrong thread

Don
Damn, so you telling me they run moar hot than a 290x? Thought nvidia cards were efficient and run cool and quiet? Lol :p

Goes to show, none of that nonsense matters in the end if the performance is there. Worse case scenario one can stick a card under water.

For a reference card it is cooler than the reference 290X I had, that used to go over 90.

Associate

It does matter.

Performance is only there, if the fans are sounding like windtunnels and still failing to prevent the card from throttling.

Before I discovered 'manual fan control', I used to run an ATI 1800XT which would hit +80C° temps. That card stopped working within two years and gave me plenty errors and artifacts on its way out. With my current HD 7970 OC, I put the fan up to 50% to keep temps down where I like them. This gets me a further 300Mhz on base clock speeds, but damn, is it loud (although not as loud as GTX 980 ti fans it seems).

I refuse to have either another ridiculously loud or boiling hot GPU in my desktop ever again.

Back
Top Bottom