How to 'get out more'. Go to pub alone?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yep, done a few with the Nottingham one after splitting with the ex (best thing i have done, gingers are mental) Not one for going to the pub alone possible sporting thing on TV thats about it.

With meetup... (also great when pushing mid 40s after job moving)

Clay pidgeon shooting
Meals out ( i like these)
Walking
oh and the modern pentathlon which was awesome fun.

Ice skating
Bowling
Crazy Golf
Pool
Darts.

All in a day :)

Soldato
I can't even see the appeal of going to the pub at all, never mind alone.

It sounds like you're thinking of things you feel you "should" be doing in terms of what society expects, over what you want to do and enjoy doing.

Also, since when has dinner been posh?! Tea is a drink! I'm not even close to being a southerner and calling a meal "tea" just seems bizarre.

Soldato
You could go out clubbing solo.

I know a guy who used to seem like a loner but he was my GFs best friend at the time.
I think she was the only person he used to ever hang around with even since school age.

at around 30 he completely changed and started going out by himself.
He then came out as gay.
Now he's got loads of friends and is the most out going person I know.

I couldn't do it but it's clearly possible from going from almost 0 friends to having a lot.

there will be some social meet ups in your city organised on meetup.com and probably walking , cycling groups etc likely a group where people meet every other week and goto the cinema or a restaurant.

Maybe try giving one of those a go

I don't think you've really understood what went on here.

Soldato
going to the boozer alone completely depends on the locale. I used to live in a quiet village come small town that had 8 boozers. I only just moved into the area and didn't know anyone so I just went on mini boozer crawls every Friday. Cleaned out the fruity's, played pool with the regulars etc.

After about a month of doing that it wasn't really going to a boozer alone any more as I could walk into anyone of those places and instantly c start talking with almost anyone in there. You just need to be ready to initiate a conversation. If you sit at the bar like a lonely old git then chances are people will think you are a lonely old miserable git and leave you to your own devices.

Soldato
I always suspected he was gay, he certainly wasn't in love with my ex.

she used to protect him at school and looked out for him like a brother

I don't mean that, I mean the going from almost 0 to loads of friends part.

The factor there is that he's now being openly honest about who he "is" on the outside, so has the confidence to make friends. Rather than the simple of process of gaining friends.

Soldato
skull a few at home
go to club on own.....the later the better
stand at bar with sad look on face
wait for drunk bird to ask 'is everything ok'
give her spiel 'bout how your gf/fiance was died in some awful tragedy
sympathy sex

result......

please note: none of this may work and you may simply look like a loser

Associate
I'd never go to the pub alone near home but I'll quite happily do it if I'm working away. If you just sit at the bar with a pint reading the paper people will come and talk to you. In quietish pubs bar staff are usually bored so glad of people to chat to too.

Soldato
OP
Again thanks for the replies!
I have skim read and will read through every post properly tomorrow :).
Had a family birthday meal today.

My username is OpenToSuggestions as I created a GD post a few years ago saying I wanted a new username and that I was Open To Suggestions. It was the most amusing response!

I live in Longton, Stoke On Trent.
My MX5 owning friend is female (no potential for more than friends).
I'm not willing to take it in the Gary just to make more friends. Did make me laugh though! :).

Soldato
Given your recent confidence boost (going to the gym etc) have you considered joining a sports team? 5-a-side football, badminton, hockey, basketball - they all have a big social aspect to them as well as the physical side - more often than not, a training session/match/game would finish up with popping down the road for a quick drink. I've been playing hockey for years, and it's massively social - from a drink after training to going away with the team once a year.

Back
Top Bottom