Denis@home team challenge: 31st Oct - 7th Nov

Soldato
OP
Congrats Jon, hope I can catch up a bit. Can't remember but I think I changed my cpu to usage to 90 or 95% so it can still fold on my 780s, forgot all about changing it back and stopping F@H.
Ach well its better than no points at all I suppose ;)

Thanks, looking at your run times also you are a little slower than me which makes me think, as we have the same machine, that you haven't upgraded to the latests AVX2 app, but no to worry you're still churning out good production, I just wish we could start catching Sic as a team.

Soldato
for that we would need Ba and his seriously high output xeon cpus and voicon aswell, we would then fly to number 1

fmtopfan is going to help us if he can get it set up :) he has good cpu power

Soldato
:( Here's hoping for a speedy recovery

You are here http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/hosts_user.php?userid=10651 and you are currently teamless and you are not using the optisimed app AVX2, which runs the tasks over 10x faster.

First, go to your account (http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/home.php) top right hand corner, join team "OcUK Overclockers UK"

Then download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1452459/denis/denis1.6.1_avx2.zip and extract the contents to your C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\denis.usj.es_denisathome directory. Fully shut down the Boinc client (File/exit Boinc) restart and you should be good to go.

Thanks for helping out! That's a very nice machine you have there.

It's happened before with other challenges, should catch up soon and show your correct team, to my knowledge your scores are still being added to our team total.

Hi hanluc,

Thanks for the guide - thought I was doing something wrong - have followed your instructions and it is running a lot quicker - nice. Thanks for the pc compliment - cost an arm and two legs but worth it lol. I will try and contribute as much as I can. Please confirm I am now running as part of the team.

Mark

Associate
When was the last upgrade to AVX2? I did my upgrade 3-4 weeks ago can't remember version number, might have been 1.5.0 ??

I don't think we can catch Sic they are steaming ahead, shame I can't field anything else cause I'm abroad... :(

Last edited:
Associate
Hi hanluc,

Thanks for the guide - thought I was doing something wrong - have followed your instructions and it is running a lot quicker - nice. Thanks for the pc compliment - cost an arm and two legs but worth it lol. I will try and contribute as much as I can. Please confirm I am now running as part of the team.

Mark

Same pc as mine by the looks, bet i paid more as i got when first new and ram was 100quid per 4 gig lol
edit, yours is running a bit faster then mine, ill best have a play with a faster overclock now im not folding

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
On one of my machines the AVX2 app just errors out, had to drop back to the SSE3 one :confused:
That's because the 3770K doesn't have AVX2 support, there isn't an AVX version yet which it has.

But you should be able to use the SSE41 version as the chip supports that.

Soldato
OP
Hi hanluc,

Mark

Looking great now, thanks again!

When was the last upgrade to AVX2? I did my upgrade 3-4 weeks ago can't remember version number, might have been 1.5.0 ??

A week ago, it's sesef's version.

On one of my machines the AVX2 app just errors out, had to drop back to the SSE3 one :confused:

AVX2 is Haswell or newer, so your 4770K should be OK, the others your want sse4.1 or the lastest Crunch3r one.

Associate
Thanks, looking at your run times also you are a little slower than me which makes me think, as we have the same machine, that you haven't upgraded to the latests AVX2 app, but no to worry you're still churning out good production, I just wish we could start catching Sic as a team.

He is still folding tho so that will slow it down.
We would need some major new pcs/members to catch them now , lets hope to keep 2nd spot :)
magic8192 is looking "hot" with his Genuine Intel(R) CPU @ 2.70GHz [Family 6 Model 45 Stepping 5] (64 processors) ekkk

Last edited:
Man of Honour
AVX2 is Haswell or newer, so your 4770K should be OK, the others your want sse4.1 or the lastest Crunch3r one.

Gotcha, working now.

All I need to do now is work out where to put the optimised app on the mac.

Anyone have a clue?

Everything I read about it says there should be a Library>Application Support>BOINC Data>projects> folder

But mine just has Library>Application Support>BOINC

And no other folders inside that.

Last edited:
Associate
Gotcha, working now.

Anyone have a clue?

Everything I read about it says there should be a Library>Application Support>BOINC Data>projects> folder

Pick up the mac, Open window, throw mac, go buy a pc :p

Associate
Hey, joining in, currently downloading BOINC with the Virtualbox albeit very slowly.

First time running using this, well when it finishes, hope to run this in the background when working/gaming without too much impact.

My IB-E 4930K doesn't have AVX2 instructions only AVX - going by hanluc advice where do I find the SSE 4.2 contents to speed things up thanks? :)

Associate
Can't get registered. Tried several times manually, any ideas??

Can't create account

Invalid email address: you must enter a valid address of the form name@domain
Click your browser's Back button to try again.

Soldato
Same pc as mine by the looks, bet i paid more as i got when first new and ram was 100quid per 4 gig lol
edit, yours is running a bit faster then mine, ill best have a play with a faster overclock now im not folding

Nope - I was early adopter too - paid £449 for my ram - Ouch !!!!
Mine may be a bit faster but getting 101 errors - may have to up my voltage a tad - grrr.

Mark

PDW

PDW

Associate
Hey, joining in, currently downloading BOINC with the Virtualbox albeit very slowly.

First time running using this, well when it finishes, hope to run this in the background when working/gaming without too much impact.

My IB-E 4930K doesn't have AVX2 instructions only AVX - going by hanluc advice where do I find the SSE 4.2 contents to speed things up thanks? :)
You don't actually need VirtualBox for Denis, just BOINC.

You can get the SSE4.1 version (by Crunch3r) from:

Windows 64bit SSE41 (INTEL/AMD compatible):
http://www.boincunited.org/opt_apps/denis/denis_1.05_x86_64-windows__sse41_v3.zip

to download, copy & paste the link to a new tab otherwise you'll get an error message.

Just follow the instructions to download and extract the 2 files, put them into the Denis project folder and exit from BOINC completely and then restart it. You have to have already joined the Denis project through BOINC Manager (and joined team OcUK) :)

PDW

PDW

Associate
Can't get registered. Tried several times manually, any ideas??
It just let me create an account at the second attempt, they might still be suffering with load issues.

Have you tried doing it when you join the Denis project through BOINC ?

PDW

PDW

Associate
Gotcha, working now.

Anyone have a clue?

My first reaction is to second Andy's recommendation :D

Have found references to:
/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/BOINC Data/slots/

Other than that, are apples (rotten or otherwise) able to do a search for all files/folders with 'denis' in the name ?

Back
Top Bottom