Denis@home team challenge: 31st Oct - 7th Nov

Soldato
Denis@home team challenge.
http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/730

Starts: 6pm (utc) 31st Oct 2015
Ends: 6pm (utc) 7th Nov 2015

Thought I would start a new thread for this challenge. Currently there are 12 15 20 teams, including ourselves, that have signed up for this.

The objective as usual is to score as many points within the time frame for the BOINC project Denis@home.

Any newcomers please see the 'DENIS' thread for tips on how to optimise your production.

Go Team OcUK!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not quite sure how often it updates, but a good stats site that interprets a lot more than the Denis site, or even the boincstats challenge can do:

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=proj&proj=den

Some of the graphs are very nice.

I like FreeDC's stats. Denis updates once a day on there, around 11am.
Currently though the day's total is wrong, it's not 4+ million for us, that's the last two days combined, it's 2.48 million for us, just 100K less than OCN at 2.57 million, here's hoping for a good scrap :)

EDIT: scores are correct now :)

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=den&team=54
... and on a personal note, I see that he can still out produce me! :mad: .. think I need to up the ante.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If by chance you are referring to me, then you should know that yesterday I was still running some vLHC and DPAD. Also intend to get a few more cores when I switch from Moo to Asteroids on the Nvidia cards. So tomorrow should be a better day :D

You can shove your ante wherever you want as long as it doesn't involve me, I'd suggest you get shopping quickly to get your order in and pay for Saturday delivery to stand any chance :D:D

LOL
I can't do any more before the challenge, I went and sold my 2700K which I regret now, the timing of it that is, but I'm not done upgrading.

Soldato
OP
Talking of upgrading, we could do with Boycie upgrading from the first optimised app to the latest to get his output nearer 300k than 200k.

I've noticed that some of his tasks take double the time of some of his others for the same points, makes me think that maybe his computers are sometimes busy doing something to do with his work, heaven forbid :D

Soldato
OP
I should have few dozen threads to throw at this

Don't know if you realise mate but your dual xeon (sr2?) machine isn't running the optimised app, your other machine is. There is an OSX version if that's what you weren't aware of.

OSX 64bit SSE41:
Code:
http://www.boincunited.org/opt_apps/denis/denis_1.05_x86_64-apple-darwin__sse41_v3.zip

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Gutted !! :( Lost 10 hours yesterday after the main pc did a update and boinc didnt restart while i was out working, my fault i spose, will use my own advice and team viewer in a couple times a day to make sure its on or just make sure it restarts after a reboot
BAD timing as i lost a couple of places in the charts :mad:

I always change my windows update settings so it doesn't install them automatically, though I have been caught out a few times after doing a fresh install and forgetting to do it.

Soldato
OP
Power cut for last 20 minutes :mad:

They say it might be fixed by 3pm :mad::mad::mad:

:( Here's hoping for a speedy recovery

I am in - I think, currently downloading work from server - not a lot happening though. Perhaps mod could see if I am in the pool so to speak - zen19.

Mark

You are here http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/hosts_user.php?userid=10651 and you are currently teamless and you are not using the optisimed app AVX2, which runs the tasks over 10x faster.

First, go to your account (http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/home.php) top right hand corner, join team "OcUK Overclockers UK"

Then download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1452459/denis/denis1.6.1_avx2.zip and extract the contents to your C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\denis.usj.es_denisathome directory. Fully shut down the Boinc client (File/exit Boinc) restart and you should be good to go.

Thanks for helping out! That's a very nice machine you have there.

Why does it say new user instead of OcUK next to my name on BOINCstats for the challenge?

It's happened before with other challenges, should catch up soon and show your correct team, to my knowledge your scores are still being added to our team total.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Congrats Jon, hope I can catch up a bit. Can't remember but I think I changed my cpu to usage to 90 or 95% so it can still fold on my 780s, forgot all about changing it back and stopping F@H.
Ach well its better than no points at all I suppose ;)

Thanks, looking at your run times also you are a little slower than me which makes me think, as we have the same machine, that you haven't upgraded to the latests AVX2 app, but no to worry you're still churning out good production, I just wish we could start catching Sic as a team.

Soldato
OP
Hi hanluc,

Thanks for the guide - thought I was doing something wrong - have followed your instructions and it is running a lot quicker - nice. Thanks for the pc compliment - cost an arm and two legs but worth it lol. I will try and contribute as much as I can. Please confirm I am now running as part of the team.

Mark

Looking great now, thanks again!

When was the last upgrade to AVX2? I did my upgrade 3-4 weeks ago can't remember version number, might have been 1.5.0 ??

A week ago, it's sesef's version.

On one of my machines the AVX2 app just errors out, had to drop back to the SSE3 one :confused:

AVX2 is Haswell or newer, so your 4770K should be OK, the others your want sse4.1 or the lastest Crunch3r one.

Soldato
OP
Gotcha, working now.

All I need to do now is work out where to put the optimised app on the mac.

Anyone have a clue?

Everything I read about it says there should be a Library>Application Support>BOINC Data>projects> folder

But mine just has Library>Application Support>BOINC

And no other folders inside that.

Maybe it's a hidden folder issue, the Boinc directory in windows is hidden, maybe it's hidden on the mac and you need to show hidden folders in the settings? just a guess.

Soldato
OP
Does anyone here use gridcoin? Is it worth signing up for it?

You have to crunch for the Gridcoin team to get them, I'm not sure what they're worth, I know they aren't on the major exchanges, or at least they weren't.

I see Bombay added more cores

Cool, our production now is about the same as Sic's, we just need to tip the balance. Have you spoken to Ba recently? I remember you saying he was taking a break.

Back
Top Bottom