Will you change your diet because of Climate Change?

Soldato
i dunno, if 10? ppl stopped eating cow would 10 ppl eating more veg fart as much as 1 cow? cows are like serious fart machines, reckon methane levels would be less with human sprout farts.

I vote we invest research into harnessing cow farts for transport once we get some decent CFPM the problem will solve itself.

Soldato
Already have. Was a raving carnivore previously but went veggie in 2009 for the environmental arguments and stayed for the other benefits. I eat meat on holidays and birthdays for a treat, which seems a fair compromise.

Got 3 friends who've since done the same and all have said they actually eat better now (i.e. tastier), healthier, and cheaper food than before.

P.S.

Last edited:
Soldato
"Breaking news: School children in Birmingham going missing each week around Sunday lunchtime".

"Police suspect disappearances are linked to the sudden mass vanishing of MPs and government officials, following the introduction of Meat Tax laws in late 2015. Several managers of McDonalds outlets are being held for questioning...

David Smith, ITN News, Birmingham".

Soldato
Argnu beef and meatsteak cahoonas grown in space fabs...

Seriously, I like my meat and could never conceive of voluntarily giving it up.

The biggest problem is not consumer waste but, as already noted re veg, supermarket waste. Go into the average shop and you'll be lucky to find any fresh meat with a use by date of more than three days. Often it's the next day so not much use if shopping on Thursday for your Sunday roast. I often wonder what happens to the product once it has expired, does it get sent for pet food, re-labelled for another couple of days if not too smelly or just chucked out?

In that respect I would rather supermarkets stocked more frozen meat which we could defrost as required if that made the industry less wasteful.

However I can only agree that veg is just as bad, unless you buy frozen. We bought a bag of sprouts from Asda on Friday to have with our roast on Sunday/Monday just gone. By Monday morning the pantry smelt like a compost heap and most of the remaining sprouts were turning black and/or slimy. There really is no shelf life on this stuff at all.

Soldato
I've done stints of 2 days per week pretty much vegan. It sucked. I was constantly hungry and put on weight because I was eating too much.

Lost about over 3 stone on the past year, eating more meat than I ever have in my life and feel great.

I'm keeping up my meat quota for the good of my health.

Man of Honour
Nope, but I do wish they would ban mass produced meat on an animal welfare point. Which would also have the benefit of reducing gasses.

Man of Honour
Well, today I bought 32kg of various animals from my lovely local butcher. So, no hope in hell of me changing to vegetarian or vegan *shudder*

Soldato
I would change if they produced another food source that tastes the same but wouldn't just stop and switch to veg only.

I'm sure something will happen to keep population levels in check, post antibiotics / world war 3 etc. No point having more and more of us on this little planet if quality of life is just going to bottom out.

Man of Honour
I would change if they produced another food source that tastes the same but wouldn't just stop and switch to veg only.

I'm sure something will happen to keep population levels in check, post antibiotics / world war 3 etc. No point having more and more of us on this little planet if quality of life is just going to bottom out.

Education and contraception is all ready doing that, models predict the population will peak at sub 10billion, then will drop off somewhat before stabilising at a lower point.
It's one reason economics, pensions etc have to change. As we wont just be increasing populations to carry on economics like we have in the past.

Back
Top Bottom