Autumn Budget 2015

Soldato
Crime has been falling for a long time now, even through the recession. If there's less crime happening, there's less need for law enforcement.

It would be great to keep spending up but the money is better spent elsewhere.
Giving current goings on I think it would be a huge negative for many voters to not increase spending on defence.

Associate
OP
I'm more confused by the notion you seem to be implying: that pensioners should be exempt from all cuts.

Where do you think all the bloody wealth in this country is tied up?

Absolutely at no point did I suggest they should be exempt from cuts, the issue is I don't see why people who have worked their entire lives should end up paying for those that refuse to work or those that reproduce like rabbits. Crossed wires somewhere - I'm not against cuts to pensions, I'm against the people that grafted to enjoy their twilight years having their enjoyment cut into by having to fund the benefit system

John MakeitupDonnell...

"There's barely been a target the chancellor has set that he hasn't missed," John McDonnell says.

"After five years the deficit has not been eliminated," he adds.

I wonder if he means the deficit Labour left. 'There's no money left.' :eek:

His sums don't add up, spiv chancellor all spin no actual detail.

Please do divulge your economic insight.

Soldato
I like the tax on BTL homes. We need to build a lot more houses to get prices down. But I feel that all these people with multiple houses aren't helping. Good idea.

I completely agree, all BTLs should be subject to a higher tax to stop it now, there is a massive shortage on housing and these people are buying up the 'affordable' places for 1st time buyers.

Soldato
If we had an unlimited budget, yes. The money is better spent on health and education though.

The NHS needs to get its act together before we chuck more money at at. As much as I love the NHS it's an absolute money pit at the moment and we can't just keep throwing money at it in the hope that it eventually sorts itself out.

Associate
The overwhelming opinion here seems to be the Daily Mail view of "tax credits = scrounger" unless proven otherwise.

I fail to see how the Government can increase the wages of those not currently on minimum wage but are earning less than the national average. The only way around it without the tax credits system is an income tax cut but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Everyone working should be getting the minimum wage, that is a legal requirement.

Working the minimum 16h(+8h) @ £9ph + increased tax-free allowance + increases in free childcare should be greater than the current handout from WORKING tax credits. CHILD tax credits are unaffected.

The Daily Mail isn't a good example of quality journalism, plus some posters on here aren't worth listening to.

Caporegime
Absolutely at no point did I suggest they should be exempt from cuts, the issue is I don't see why people who have worked their entire lives should end up paying for those that refuse to work or those that reproduce like rabbits. Crossed wires somewhere - I'm not against cuts to pensions, I'm against the people that grafted to enjoy their twilight years having their enjoyment cut into by having to fund the benefit system
Ah I see, in which case I have inferred something incorrectly. Sorry!

Associate
Don't forget folks, the full details are only just being released, the full spectrum of changes were not part of his speech.

Expect the more controversial changes to be highlighted over the next couple of days.

Soldato
Glad to see the scrapping of the tax credit cuts, especially the child tax credit portion, as Nursery fees are going to rocket over the next few years and it was going to put a monumental strain on working families with children.

Soldato
Everyone working should be getting the minimum wage, that is a legal requirement.

Working the minimum 16h(+8h) @ £9ph + increased tax-free allowance + increases in free childcare should be greater than the current handout from WORKING tax credits. CHILD tax credits are unaffected.

The Daily Mail isn't a good example of quality journalism, plus some posters on here aren't worth listening to.

Free childcare doesn't come in until the term after your child's 3rd birthday unless you're on income support or other means tested benefits.

Minimum wage won't be £9/hr until 2020, by which time childcare providers (and I imagine loads of other businesses) will have bumped prices even more to compensate.

An increase in minimum wage doesn't help you if you currently earn more than the minimum. There seems to be a void in policy and statistics for people in the category between minimum wage and national average (~£26k)

Associate
Glad to see the scrapping of the tax credit cuts, especially the child tax credit portion, as Nursery fees are going to rocket over the next few years and it was going to put a monumental strain on working families with children.

Only working tax credits were going to be cut. Child tax credits were unaffected.

There will also be 30h free child care coming in at some point, up from the current 15h.

Back
Top Bottom