Autumn Budget 2015

Associate
Anyone looking likely to bit hit massively by the budget? Think the police are going to take an unneccessary hammering in manning and also military in terms of pay.

I think there's going to be some good decisions but unfortunatley will be outweighed by horrendous cost cutting ones :eek:

BBC Live Updates

Associate
OP
I think the police and security services are definitely on the block, which seems like an increasingly stupid situation given recent events.

However I would imagine the decision will be justified with May's incoming Snooper's charter, by way of allowing for more efficient policing and monitoring.

I can't see any circumstance they can justify it, maybe get away with screwing the military over, I'm close to signing off any way but the police need backing. The only feasible outcome I can envisage is the slow privatisation of the police force.

Associate
OP
Tax credit cuts scrapped,thats good news

Yeah for those on the scrounge, the rest of us will foot the bill along with the pensioners who spent their entire lives trying to avoid living off the state.

Prioritising defence and law enforcement over education & health would be a stupid decision.

Not the way the world is shaping up at the minute, education may as well just be playing through Fallout 4 on hard mode.

In the current geo-political climate, not prioritising defence and law enforcement would be a stupid decision.

+1

Associate
OP
Thanks for the insult. I didn't realise that a couple working 90 hours a week between them and receive a few quid to help with spiraling childcare costs fell in to the 'scrounger' category.

You're taking my comment to the extreme. I'm fairly confident you knew I was alluding to the majority that abuse the system, the ones who work cash in hand, the ones that don't bother seeking work, the ones that spawn half a dozen kids with no way of paying for them, the ones who kick off at the slightest sign of their 'inherent' right to free money being removed.

If you're statement is true I have no issue with it and I've no doubt expect the same should me and my missus decide to have kids irrelevant of how much we earn, unfair to have one rule for one and all that.

Associate
OP

Where do you think the money is going to come from to reduce the deficit whilst maintaining the tax credits and benefits? It'll have to come from alternative sources by cuts elsewhere. Common sense really.

Extra stamp duty when buying second homes.....interesting.

Good.

No cuts in police budgets!

Unbelievable Jeff. Did not see that coming. I'm quite pleased about it in all fairness.

Waiting for some people here to create some kind of moaning about police budgets not being cut...

No moan from this corner :D

Don't get why people are being so vitriolic over the tax credit cuts being scrapped. He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't. I never thought he would completely scrap the cuts, I thought it would be a more measured approach. The only concern for most is where the money is going to come from to maintain the benefits.

Associate
OP
I'm more confused by the notion you seem to be implying: that pensioners should be exempt from all cuts.

Where do you think all the bloody wealth in this country is tied up?

Absolutely at no point did I suggest they should be exempt from cuts, the issue is I don't see why people who have worked their entire lives should end up paying for those that refuse to work or those that reproduce like rabbits. Crossed wires somewhere - I'm not against cuts to pensions, I'm against the people that grafted to enjoy their twilight years having their enjoyment cut into by having to fund the benefit system

John MakeitupDonnell...

"There's barely been a target the chancellor has set that he hasn't missed," John McDonnell says.

"After five years the deficit has not been eliminated," he adds.

I wonder if he means the deficit Labour left. 'There's no money left.' :eek:

His sums don't add up, spiv chancellor all spin no actual detail.

Please do divulge your economic insight.

Associate
OP
The NHS needs to get its act together before we chuck more money at at. As much as I love the NHS it's an absolute money pit at the moment and we can't just keep throwing money at it in the hope that it eventually sorts itself out.

Personally I don't see an issue with part-privatisation of the NHS. Reduce individual NI contributions, which would appease the masses but would still allow free healthcare at the point of delivery for those who need it and genuinely can't afford it.

Associate
OP
Anyone think that maybe the Tories just played out a huge amount of spin and have all but destroyed Labour, at least under Corbyn, by doing a 'u-turn' in the tax credits and policing cuts? I'd never put anything past a politician and it just feels like the Tories have been letting everything build up, arguing over cuts, downplaying the whole scenario and then out of nowhere, 'yeah, we're not doing that, we're far too nice to make people suffer'

Don't get me wrong I'm far more Tory than Labour but I get a sense of GG WP Tory.

Associate
OP
Councils are gonna have to raise taxes with the cuts theyre facing, good old Tory government, money for bombs but no money for social care

Rather we had bombs and bullets and Trident and GCHQ and MI5 and Policing and Armed Forces if it meant my bins got emptied a couple less times a year. Besides it's only 2% and it is actually earmarked for a worthwhile cause, now paying council tax towards the local parish, there is money that could be refunded or spent elsewhere.

Associate
OP
its not about bins being emptied its about social care and protecting vulnerable children, because those are the services that will suffer

Trident and spies I'm comparison to the above is a non-contest IMO, social care is more important than stupid wars and pointless weapons, they won't be much good when society breaks down

But the 2% rise is for social care......

Back
Top Bottom