Autumn Budget 2015

Associate
We have ONE child. Nursery costs have risen 15% in the last 2 years - a damned site more than wages have gone up.

Do you suggest we become a nation where only people paying higher rate tax can be parents?

We still pay out a hell of a lot more in tax and NI than we get back and thus are net contributors to the economy yet so many people on here would brand me a "scrounger" for it and I'm sick of hearing it.

I don't think anyone is calling you a scrounger, I'm certainly not.

My argument is that wages should be increased to stop government having to subsidise low wages. Unfortunately this subsidy is called tax credits and any attempt to try and reform the system is immediately framed as an attack on the weak and vulnerable.

Soldato
The numbers presented don't seem to add up!?!?
Unless I've missed something where are the life changing cuts?

Caporegime
Peruse it? unless he changed tact it was going nowhere.

the house of Lords blocking something doesn't necessarily mean that is the end of it... it was a choice to not pursue it

The pasty tax mastermind and towel folder makes another huge error of judgement, luckily we have labor to keep the numpty in line.

LOL

part of the reason he's comfortable with the blatant u-turn is because there isn't currently a credible opposition... keep on dreaming there

Soldato
I don't think anyone is calling you a scrounger, I'm certainly not.

My argument is that wages should be increased to stop government having to subsidise low wages. Unfortunately this subsidy is called tax credits and any attempt to try and reform the system is immediately framed as an attack on the weak and vulnerable.

The overwhelming opinion here seems to be the Daily Mail view of "tax credits = scrounger" unless proven otherwise.

I fail to see how the Government can increase the wages of those not currently on minimum wage but are earning less than the national average. The only way around it without the tax credits system is an income tax cut but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Associate
Boo nasty Conservatives. At least no more cuts for the disabled which is good for me.

I like the tax on BTL homes. We need to build a lot more houses to get prices down. But I feel that all these people with multiple houses aren't helping. Good idea.

Soldato
It was blocked in the Lords, he had no option but to change tact. Tory apologists are so unbelievable.

I don't think you understand how our system of government works. The Lords cannot veto a bill, all they can do is refer it back to the Commons for reconsideration. They cannot stop a bill mentioned in the manifesto full stop, nor are they meant to interfere with a bill related to fiscal matters.

The final point is why the Lords triggered a constitutional review; because what they did is not actually allowed. But the government didn't want to push the point too hard because it might cause problems with their own back bench.

Cameron can either swamp the Lords with new Tory peers, or he can create new laws to defang the Lords.

Associate
OP

Where do you think the money is going to come from to reduce the deficit whilst maintaining the tax credits and benefits? It'll have to come from alternative sources by cuts elsewhere. Common sense really.

Extra stamp duty when buying second homes.....interesting.

Good.

No cuts in police budgets!

Unbelievable Jeff. Did not see that coming. I'm quite pleased about it in all fairness.

Waiting for some people here to create some kind of moaning about police budgets not being cut...

No moan from this corner :D

Don't get why people are being so vitriolic over the tax credit cuts being scrapped. He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't. I never thought he would completely scrap the cuts, I thought it would be a more measured approach. The only concern for most is where the money is going to come from to maintain the benefits.

Caporegime
Where do you think the money is going to come from to reduce the deficit whilst maintaining the tax credits and benefits? It'll have to come from alternative sources by cuts elsewhere. Common sense really.

I'm more confused by the notion you seem to be implying: that pensioners should be exempt from all cuts.

Where do you think all the bloody wealth in this country is tied up?

Soldato
How do you know that they don't?

When you run out of articulate argument, assume he's lying as it can't be that good.

Seriously this bloke is embarrassing from the Labour side, he needs replacing if they want to be taken seriously. Now he's quoting Chairman Mao - he must know that's an own goal?

Caporegime
Don't get why people are being so vitriolic over the tax credit cuts being scrapped. He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

I don't think there is much logic behind those posts...some posters are going to moan regardless simply because its 'the tories'

Soldato
In the current geo-political climate, not prioritising defence and law enforcement would be a stupid decision.

Crime has been falling for a long time now, even through the recession. If there's less crime happening, there's less need for law enforcement.

It would be great to keep spending up but the money is better spent elsewhere.

Soldato
Crime has been falling for a long time now, even through the recession. If there's less crime happening, there's less need for law enforcement.

It would be great to keep spending up but the money is better spent elsewhere.

If crime is falling doesn't it make sense to keep law enforcement at the same levels to help keep the drop in crime going?

Back
Top Bottom