Police Speed Detection Cars?

Soldato
Hi,

I was driving in a 40 mph area this morning, probably a bit faster than I should have been , when I saw what appeared to be two quick 'flashes' in the lower windscreen of an approaching vehicle.

As it passed me, it gave two short sharp 'hoots', which I assumed were intended for me.

So far as I could see it was a fairly small white car, with no markings and no obvious blue lights or anything like that.

Could I possibly have been 'clocked', and if so could I be liable for prosecution?

Thanks.

Soldato
I could be completely wrong, but don't police cars have to be driving in the same direction and use their speedometer to actually catch you speeding?

Soldato
OP
No such thing. Only thing I can think of is that it was an unmarked car giving you a polite warning to take it easy.

Thanks, that was what I thought, so hopefully I shan't hear any more about it... I certainly hope that I don't anyway!

It is just that they are coming up with all sorts of clever things these days, you can never be too sure what is going on!

I reply to 'muon' I know that the stationary 'white vans' can record your speed... and prosecute you, even when you are going away from them, as it were.

I speak from personal experience here, unfortunately!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Those hand held speed cameras they use can record your speed while you approach them so it would be easy peasy to put in a car.

The problem is it'd bring too many variables in to the equation. As it is, you have a moving car and a stationary camera. Simple.

By putting a camera in a moving car you'll need to have equipment in said car which monitors its speed, and that would need calibrating. Then there are the angles. A simple change in angle between the two moving vehicles would result in possible variations. Things like weather, sight lines, other traffic and time of day would all potentially be able to affect the readings. Then there's the inevitable Daily Mail article accusing cops of prowling for profits and then the SJWs will call this abuse of powers, the hippies will blame the cops for killing all the polar bears, etc etc.

Yes it is possible but there are too many hoops and potential failures for it to be viable.

Soldato
OP
It all sounds as if it is one of those things which could be done, but I was really wondering if anyone has any knowledge as to whether or not they are actually in use yet?

Not that it probably makes any real difference, but my impression was that it was a fairly small vehicle.

Soldato
The problem is it'd bring too many variables in to the equation. As it is, you have a moving car and a stationary camera. Simple.

By putting a camera in a moving car you'll need to have equipment in said car which monitors its speed, and that would need calibrating. Then there are the angles. A simple change in angle between the two moving vehicles would result in possible variations. Things like weather, sight lines, other traffic and time of day would all potentially be able to affect the readings. Then there's the inevitable Daily Mail article accusing cops of prowling for profits and then the SJWs will call this abuse of powers, the hippies will blame the cops for killing all the polar bears, etc etc.

Yes it is possible but there are too many hoops and potential failures for it to be viable.

I got done for speeding in New Zealand by a cop driving towards me. They have the tech over there.

Back
Top Bottom