Poll: *** Google Nexus 6 ***

Which colour & memory size are you going to get?

• White - 32GB

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • Blue - 32GB

Votes: 77 36.3%
  • White - 64GB

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Blue - 64GB

Votes: 66 31.1%

• Total voters
Associate
Is it still worth getting one of these?

I'm due a free upgrade through work but not for another 12 months.

Currently on a Sony Z3, which has been OK but I'm missing the big screen of my old OPO and am getting a bit tired of the constant nagging that my internal memory is 75% full even though I try and keep on top of it, and am hardly a big app user. I've never felt the camera on it was as good as it should be either.

Looking at the above, I can get comparable battery life from the N6 using a ROM and kernel (well maybe without since I'm just about scraping 4 hours SOT from the Z3). The other main uses are for work (taking notes, photos etc), taking photos and listening to music, how does it perform here?

I was also thinking of the Note 4 which is still a good phone but I'm not sure how I feel about TouchWiz even if its not as bad as it was. Also the LG G4, but their overlay is just as bad as Samsung's and it doesn't appear to match the battery life, and once the on-screen buttons are taken into account its got the smallest screen of the trio.

Any thoughts?

Soldato
I still think the phone is fantastic and I have got so used to the screen size that even a 5.5" phone feels to cramped.

Performance is great, camera is better now with marsmallow and very serviceable.

The stereo speakers are just superb for youtube and of course for me, nothing compares to the fluidity of stock Android.

Music out of the headphones is good but lacking a bit of volume, there are sound mods to counter this.

Associate
Thanks kona. That does seem to be the issue with most phones for me is the volume out of the jack - only the HTC M7/M8 and iPhones i've used have ever seemed to have sufficient volume. Not a massive deal breaker though.

I actually made an offer for one, but as I wasn't prepared to offer the same money as a Grade A model with 3 months warranty, he declined and took the phone off the forum. Oh well...

This would be to replace not only my Z3 but my Hudl 2 which generally collects dust. I quite like the Xperia but the internal memory just isn't enough, so I'm shifting things on a weekly basis to the SD card and the whole phone is bogging down (because the SD card is so slow), and as I said, too small for my liking.

I might see what I can get in the coming days. I do wonder if its worth paying a little extra for a 64Gb (I have 16+64 in the Sony), though they are rare.

Soldato
Got mine back last Tuesday, I have been running a non-root rom which has been sweet you can get it from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/development/rom-stock-debloated-deodexed-n6-t3318315

Sky Go works, I'd imagine some banking apps too! You can increase audio volume if you are rooted Kona, Go to system/etc/mixer_paths.xml you'll see a bunch called RX_volume, they are "84", Increase the first 2 of those, I put mine at 92.

Buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Today Android N Preview 1 has been released! :D

http://developer.android.com/preview/index.html

Enjoys!

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice one Matteysan, glad your phone is all working now.

Does that volume method differ to the volume gain via franco kernel?

Yeah I don't think franco touches mixer_paths at all. I used to get popping with francos when I used the volume gain there, It might have been something to do with V4A so I started doing it manually.

Preview 1 up & running now. Some nice features/additions so far, I can't seem to find multi-window though maybe it is just a tablet feature(scratch that I found it!) Under system UI tuner, Dark mode comes back & calibrating display is there too.

I'll try & get some pictures up shortly.

Hopefully you can access this.
https://goo.gl/photos/BZYTo8rfi4ogzx449

Last edited:
Associate
Now that it looks like stock Android will get split screen, it seems like a good time to jump on the large phone bandwagon.

These phones seem bargainous, even the Note 4's are going for like 50% more and they are an older phone if I remember right, or if not, the same sort of price when new.

I am pretty sold on the idea at the minute.

Soldato
Now that it looks like stock Android will get split screen, it seems like a good time to jump on the large phone bandwagon.

These phones seem bargainous, even the Note 4's are going for like 50% more and they are an older phone if I remember right, or if not, the same sort of price when new.

I am pretty sold on the idea at the minute.

I think if you can get it for around £200 maybe a little bit more then do it.

Still by far my favourite phone, still nothing out there compares for me as a complete package.

Associate
Totally agree with that. Chroma is decent too one of the few ROMs thats stable & isn't bloated with stupid things.

2 weeks later still no Nexus 6, Still no contact from SBE & Motorola support have been a bit crappy to say the least.

Last I heard

"We are in contact with the repair centre and as soon as we have an update I will contact you immediately.

Thank you for your understanding."

3 days ago....... I will never purchase Moto again after this. If there is one thing Apple do good that is customer services.

Not surprised. Moto seem a bit of a mess these days. Speaking from experience with an order at Motomaker for a Moto X Style put on hold for a reason I never really did find out. They (support) had a couldn't care less attitude and this was selling you a phone. I dread to think what things are like if you have to send one back for repair. Shame really, because if they shaped their selves they could make some decent phones.

Associate
Whats the best method for flashing a custom ROM on the stock N6?

I've used custom Roms from xda before on my old Note 2, but that was a couple years ago now. A simple guide would be great if anyone know of one.

Soldato

I love this!!!

Step closer to how I used to roll with PA on Jellybean/Kitkat.

Finally got V4A & PIE control on preview N, Not really had a problem yet, It gets a little janky at times & multiwindow isn't the best at the moment but thats mainly from applications not supporting it properly yet.

Expected from a beta, So far I have got used to the new things & I've already debated if I should go back to M but I don't think it is is going to happen.

I really like the reply from notification with hangouts 8, Along with all the new features. Battery doesn't seem far off what I was getting with M, I have most things turned on at all times, Apart from Bluetooth & Wifi.

I guess the only thing I miss is Layers but I haven't even tried to see if I can get that working yet.

Soldato
My N6 will be retiring into the draw after tomorrow as much as i like the phone and the battery life i get with chroma the screen is a tad to big for me.

Grabbed myself an S6 Edge off the MM so this will now be my back up phone.

Soldato
Scrapped Chroma as I couldn't get a different gapps package to work and the one linked too on the Chroma pages was just Google Play.

Still running without encryption seems to have made the phone more responsive.

Back
Top Bottom