• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1070 - any takers?

Soldato
My favoured games are Kerbal, WoW, Cities Skylines, Minecraft and the ilk, so I suspect a 1070 will do me just fine even at 4k :) Whether I wait for AMD depends how strong my craving for a 32" 4k monitor gets ;)

Looking forward to seeing some 3rd party coolers, should be easy to get this card down to very low noise levels without compromising thermals. Am I the only one boggling at the performance it's putting out in a 150 watt power envelope? My old 760 pulls more than that! :o

Associate
Also tempted, would be a nice upgrade on my 970 but I'm not sure if I want to go big this time and wait for the beast that will be the 1080ti. Another question would you guys say the 1080 is important for the Vive or would a 1070 be fine?

Soldato
Thing is, I don't play Battlefield or CS:GO (im too old lol) so don't see the benefit of going above 60fps. I've tried 120hz monitors and meh...didnt really notice a difference. I'm more a Skyrim, Cites Skyline, FSX player.

Also as for Gsync, Im really kind of against getting a monitor that ties me into buying a certain brand of GPU.

That makes sense, but I would rather go Gysnc for 1440p since you will have dips below 60fps, or see what AMD has and go fresync. Thats what I'm going too do, get a 1070 or something AMD and get a 1440p 144mhz monitor.

Soldato
I too am in the same boat it seems. A common predicament.

1070 and a 1440p Gsync 144Hz monitor or go 4k. But for 4k you really need to be buying a 1080.

A 1070 and a new monitor is gonna be a £900 outlay already. :eek:

I only have a 3570k @ 4.5Ghz at the moment.

Really, I should just stay as I am. I game at 1200p and the 970 seems to be just fine.

---

The problem it seems is timing. If I wait another year and get some good use out of the 970, we will be that much closer to the next series of cards. Rinse and repeat.

---

My monitor tears like hell tho! It's from 2008. :eek:

---

Is there that much difference between a 24" non gsync 1200p monitor too a 1440p 27" monitor with gsync?

Last edited:
Associate
Thing is, I don't play Battlefield or CS:GO (im too old lol) so don't see the benefit of going above 60fps. I've tried 120hz monitors and meh...didnt really notice a difference. I'm more a Skyrim, Cites Skyline, FSX player.

Also as for Gsync, Im really kind of against getting a monitor that ties me into buying a certain brand of GPU.

AMD GPU's will work on a Gsync monitor so you are not tied in to Nvidia but you will have paid a premium compared to a non Gsync or Freesync monitor.

Soldato
Why? If you'd bought it on release then you'd have had all this time with the performance of the single fastest card on the market.

Resale on Titans is always reasonable just because of the name, if you'd spent £800 on a Titan X in march last year, had 15 months of top GPU performance you now have a few options that don't look very bad at all IMHO:

1) Pick up another used Titan X for SLI, probably about £450-500 which would bury a single 1080.

2) If you're insane or simply must have the latest shiny, sell your Titan X for £450-500, put £100 to it and get one of the better 1080s.

3) Which is surely the sane option, hang on to it if it is still playing your games at your res, wait for the next Titan and get a proper upgrade worth paying for, Titan X resale will still be reasonable even then (£350-400 maybe?) so should soften the blow somewhat.

I don't understand why people all of a sudden think Titan X and 980Tis are obsolete!

They're definitely not obsolete, I for one will be keeping my 980 for a while yet. I don't need anything more powerful until I get myself a new monitor.

What I'm saying is just how badly the new cards effect the resale value of the previous gen in terms of bang for buck. A 4-500 quid loss over the space of a year doesn't seem like particularly good value to me.

Caporegime
Take a look at the threads on both Nvidia and AMD drivers, almost all the issues/complaints are related to SLI/Crossfire.

They always have been though, I just wondered if things are 'better' now. I don't mind a few niggles if they can be ironed out to some degree, and I don't mind disabling SLI for the odd one or two games or delaying upgrading drivers, but if it will be a largely incompatible stuttery stressful mess then I won't bother! :)

Back
Top Bottom