Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
So.... As title says... Life will go on!!

Seriously, get a grip people, it's the best thing ever for this country. Yes, Scotland will vote to leave, and I'm very sure a decade after that vote , they'll regret it, if not before!

Staggering how all of a sudden the EU is all ears.

About to turn 44 next week and us leaving the EU is one of the best things that has happened in my life to date, period!

Soldato
I think you guys saying we won't really leave are somewhat clutching at straws.

Any party deciding to ignore the referendum result is committing suicide, surely.

The LibDems were utterly destroyed for failing to deliver their promises....

I'm still waiting for someone to bring out the positive outlook on leaving.

Who is celebrating this win and what exactly are they celebrating?

I would rather hear that this was a galactic farce of protest votes and bluffing which went too far than ACTUALLY see the UK get screwed.

About to turn 44 next week and us leaving the EU is one of the best things that has happened in my life to date, period!

Please elaborate on why it makes you feel better.

Caporegime
Just lots of reports of people shouting "go home" in various ways and to various extremes, as well as lots of idiotic misinformed hate speech all over the internet... People being cornered and verbally abused, people posting hate speech through Polish peoples letterboxes, etc...

Soldato
Unsure how many of these stories are true, but if even half of them are, I'm appalled, and scared, and ashamed... https://www.facebook.com/sarah.leblanc.718/media_set?set=a.10101369198638985&type=3&pnref=story

I'm amazed a colleague of mine hasn't been sacked yet for similar behaviour. He was rather jovial yesterday, and proceeded (with much glee and excitement) to tell various foreign-born employees that it was nearly time for them to '**** off home'. He seems to genuinely believe this is going to happen, and all through the campaign this belief has formed a core part of his argument (the main other bit being a dislike for every person and nation in Europe).

I swear he only gets away with it because he's a bit mentally unstable. TBH it's only now that I'm writing it down that I realise how completely unacceptable it was.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Still waiting for a list of the positives out of this vote. I haven't seen any from anyone yet. What's the good news from this? I can only see the bad, let's have something upbeat that I can cling to :)

Soldato
I stuck my head out of a front window this morning, and it looked, smelled and sounded like another normal day. My shares dropped a bit on Friday, but no more than on a number of other volatile days since I bought them. Mortgage payment's still fixed until 2019, and my work brought in more wonga this month than last month despite all the 'uncertainty'. Bought four pints of milk in my local Sainsburys for a quid earlier, same price as before D-day.

On here, as in real life, a pack of people are whining about the current affairs they're unhappy with. The BBC acts as though the country's freefalling in to the pits of hell, whilst amusingly trying to pass themselves off as impartial. Unimaginative souls cry out 'what now?' instead of just getting on with their lives and travails. What now I hear you ask? Stop banging on about it perhaps, and get on with whatever you did with your lives before this drama.

What do you make of this weather we're having, sticky out there isn't it? It wants to rain tonight, but it can't. Oh well it is trying though, a bit like when you keep trying to cough up something but it won't dislodge.

Caporegime
Still waiting for a list of the positives out of this vote. I haven't seen any from anyone yet. What's the good news from this? I can only see the bad, let's have something upbeat that I can cling to :)

Thats the problem... :/

Apart from "yay independance" I don't think there are any positives... And I don't even count "yay independance" as a positive myself...

I'd also be happy to hear some positives...

I haven't spoken to or seen my parents for two days now, despite living in the same house as them... I'm not sure if its because they feel guilty or ashamed for voting out now they've seen whats happened, and after I told them exactly what was going to happen and they ignored me, or if its just a weird coincidence...

Last edited:
Associate
Care to elaborate for those of us who don't like clicking Facebook links on forums? ;)
Racism, shouts of 'go back home' etc.
Though it is only a very small vocal minority being abusive I have no doubt it is worrying for those affected, and I can only hope people realise that isn't how Britain in general feels about them (though I have no doubt that will be of little consolation).

As for the free movement question, the basis is that for trade to fully flourish there should be free movement of capital both of goods and services and of workers. The reason the EEA also has free movement is because if you allowed access without it most countries would opt to manage migration themselves (allowing a more balanced and easily managed approach toward growth vs infrastructure) and leave the EU proper. Freedom of movement is similar to the movement of workers in the US, except in the EU the disparity between economies (resulting in a generally one direction flow of labor), and cultural differences, are far far larger.
The US doesn't have freedom of movement as the EU doesn't have a free trade deal with them as of the moment, something that takes a long time as there has to be consensus between all member states for any deal to be accepted (one country disagrees, then back to the drawing board etc). The US does still trade with the EU though just not with any trade deals in place from the EU.

Last edited:
Soldato
So.... As title says... Life will go on!!

Seriously, get a grip people, it's the best thing ever for this country. Yes, Scotland will vote to leave, and I'm very sure a decade after that vote , they'll regret it, if not before!

Staggering how all of a sudden the EU is all ears.

What is going to be so great about it, what is going to be better and how?

As someone of similar age, running a company in the construction industry I feel more like I need to be preparing for redundancies than hiring people.

Associate
The good news is we have are country back to take control of it the way we want to and maybe turn in back to what is was 10 years ago ! I don't like my town being a mini Europe ! because that is the problem , Britain has lost its identity , I don't know about you but I don't even go in to my shopping centre anymore because I don't understand anyone. that is never a good thing, its wrong and its sad that this has happened.

Soldato
Permabanned
The good news is we have are country back to take control of it the way we want to and maybe turn in back to what is was 10 years ago ! I don't like my town being a mini Europe ! because that is the problem , Britain has lost its identity , I don't know about you but I don't even go in to my shopping centre anymore because I don't understand anyone. that is never a good thing, its wrong and its sad that this has happened.

At the rate its going we will be back to what the UK was since 1985 - except without Scotland and Ireland

Caporegime

Rule Britannia, taking our country back, independence day, sticking it Brussels bureaucrats and all that noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom