Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
OP
The good news is we have are country back to take control of it the way we want to and maybe turn in back to what is was 10 years ago ! I don't like my town being a mini Europe ! because that is the problem , Britain has lost its identity , I don't know about you but I don't even go in to my shopping centre anymore because I don't understand anyone. that is never a good thing, its wrong and its sad that this has happened.

There are no positives here. 'Taking are country back' isn't a thing. It was never taken from us.

Is this really all that can be said in favour of leaving? :(

We have our country back!

Rule Britannia, taking our country back, independence day, sticking it Brussels bureaucrats and all that noise.

Other stuff!

So it would seem

Soldato
As Teesside has been mentioned and as i'm from Cleveland in Teesside I can tell you that the reasoning for voting to leave has come from successive government neglect for the entire region. The steel industry collapsed because the government allowed poor quality, cheap Chinese steel to flood the market and the people of Teesside bore the bront of it. Unlike the current Port Talbot closure when the government at least tried to broker deals etc, they stood and did nothing when Lackenby was mothballed.

The northeast feels forgotten, gets nothing and has nothing so a leave vote is something new without the fear of disaster, because thousands of teessiders have virtually nothing to lose if the entire country fails.

Thank you. I expected as much and of course it's terrible we have parts of the population that Are in such situations. I guess the one thing I am struggling to see is how it can be resolved.

Of course as you say there is nothing to lose and sadly given how our economy is mostly service based, how we can effectively help such areas. All I keep coming up with is a blank, seems to me these areas will be no better or even worse in cases where EU provided direct funding. With there likely being less money going around I just can't help but think such areas( can't imagine the Central government filling any voids right now to make up the shortfall) will be forgotten more so with so much bigger fires to fight over the next few years, if not longer.

Soldato
The good news is we have are country back to take control of it the way we want to and maybe turn in back to what is was 10 years ago ! I don't like my town being a mini Europe ! because that is the problem , Britain has lost its identity , I don't know about you but I don't even go in to my shopping centre anymore because I don't understand anyone. that is never a good thing, its wrong and its sad that this has happened.

Again though, how is leaving the EU going to change this for you? You stand a better chance by putting a big hat over your eyes and your fingers in your ears.

Man of Honour
Just lots of reports of people shouting "go home" in various ways and to various extremes, as well as lots of idiotic misinformed hate speech all over the internet... People being cornered and verbally abused, people posting hate speech through Polish peoples letterboxes, etc...

People's attitude towards Polish people won't have changed overnight, either way.

I have absolutely no issue with anyone really, but there are parts of the country with a bizarrely high concentration of immigrants. I can fully understand frustrations there.

Still waiting for a list of the positives out of this vote. I haven't seen any from anyone yet. What's the good news from this? I can only see the bad, let's have something upbeat that I can cling to :)

One is: no more unelected bureaucrats deciding things on our behalf.

Loosely speaking, we do have more control now over what we do and who we trade with, etc, but if that is negotiated badly, or from a position of great weakness, it may not be a positive in the end.

Associate
Only time will tell if we have made the right choice , both had its cons ! 17.6 million voted to leave why do you think that is ??? the country is split down the middle , you have all these people screaming lets open the boarders and let everyone in and on the other side you have people wanting to stick up walls ! Its a sad time for Britain because its going to take years to sort all this out. asking for another vote is just stupid , If anything more people would vote to leave ! No one likes losing , You get another vote and vote leavers will do everything they can to get others to leave

Soldato
Care to elaborate for those of us who don't like clicking Facebook links on forums? ;)

It's a collection of about 100 (and growing) stories that one person has compiled from across social media and posted on Facebook. Most of the stories are recounting incidents of hate speech, racial abuse and threats against immigrants (both EU and non-EU) SINCE the referendum. Things such a graffitti daubed on doors, hate messages posted through letterboxes, insults and worse hurled in the street, direct threats at work and in the street and so on. You get the picture.

Caporegime
There is only one good thing that one can identify right now.

Self-determination, we can move any which way we like without the agreement of 27 other nations, some of which dont even like us.

To wipe $2 trillion of the markets and simply move back in the EU... theres no saving that.

Soldato
If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legislation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-manoeuvred and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

Comment from here

Well Cameron gave his notice which in effect has left the whole UK in limbo for the next 3 months. Its in itself a destructive act designed to damage the UK, a punishment. Boris and co can do nothing until the leadership issue within the tory party are sorted. If Cameron was acting in the interest of the UK it would be a general election in 3 months time, not the tory party conference.

The Brexiters have nothing to lose they were never in control, but they have peed in a big bowl of cheerios. :D

Caporegime
People's attitude towards Polish people won't have changed overnight, either way.
No, but what it will have done is made the braindead among us think they have a free pass to voice their unfounded xenophobic hatred.

I have absolutely no issue with anyone really, but there are parts of the country with a bizarrely high concentration of immigrants. I can fully understand frustrations there.

So you think that defends this behaviour? :confused:

Great... I'm logging out of the Forums for the night...

Soldato
Still waiting for a list of the positives out of this vote. I haven't seen any from anyone yet. What's the good news from this? I can only see the bad, let's have something upbeat that I can cling to :)

the fact you cannot see past the fact that these unelected men and women dictate to people living here or anywhere is not enough, what more do you need?

Man of Honour
No, but what it will have done is made the braindead among us think they have a free pass to voice their unfounded xenophobic hatred.

I hope they throw the book at anyone taking it too far.

So you think that defends this behaviour? :confused:

Great... I'm logging out of the Forums for the night...

Of course it doesn't, don't be ridiculous. My point was you're trying to focus on something negative, something that has likely happened before the referendum, and will continue to happen after it.

I think that's probably for the best.

Caporegime
the fact you cannot see past the fact that these unelected men and women dictate to people living here or anywhere is not enough, what more do you need?

Something that actually matters would be nice. Our governments for the past god knows how long may as well have been unelected, with the amount of false promises and lies they tell.

Associate
I'm still waiting for someone to bring out the positive outlook on leaving.

Who is celebrating this win and what exactly are they celebrating?

I would rather hear that this was a galactic farce of protest votes and bluffing which went too far than ACTUALLY see the UK get screwed.

Please elaborate on why it makes you feel better.

Independence from a political union that I've never voted for or given the chance to.

February '92 is when it changed.

Soldato
Oh dear. It's completely falling apart now, isn't it? This has probably made the rounds already, but since it's Dan 'The Magnificent' Hannan, I thought it's worth your while, only 3 and a half minutes long.

At least he isn't implying building magical hospitals any more... :D Evans is clearly going over his boiling point at points. :p

Associate
The positive here is that we will shortly be an independent democracy once more rather than become more and more amalgamated into a federated EU run by appointed not elected cronies.

Associate
Lots of remainers insisted that if we stayed in the EU, we woud've had greater influence on reform and the power to accept or deny, but why then did I read an article where it said the UK has been the most overruled nation of the bunch? It doesn't feel like the UK is leading or has much say in anything as an EU member.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom