• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Pet Northerner
Don
Nice one !

Well in all fairness I would need to experience it for myself.... I might just pick one of these cards up anyway.

Essential tests : Run Witcher 3 or GTA 4 at ultra and see if the card can keep in the freesync range which I believe to be at least 40 fps

If it can stay in the range this may be a good buy for those who want a silky smooth experience at low fps

Thats fine, I have both games here. I'll just need to get them installed on her machine on Sat if that's ok?

Drop me a trust and I'll send results over when I have them :)

Associate

interesting - he took ref 480 and stuck better cooler on it and its scoring where some of the leaks were lol......

looks like ref is holding it back - looks like aftermarket coolers will allow it to stretch it legs.....

and that's what I'll wait for to pick one up...

and....btw confirmed...
Fottemberg did confirm bug in 16.2.2 drivers and new drivers were sent out 2 days ago that was supposed to fix the power bug and give another 5% performance.....

Seems also if you undervolt the 480 you get at least another 5% performance jump; putting the memory at 9000 gives another 6% - *from computerbase* looks like normal AMD putting the volts a little too high - that's good 10% more performance easily gain.

I don't think we've seen true performance from polaris yet.......and new Asus aftermarket cards actually look good.....

image.png

Soldato
interesting - he took ref 480 and stuck better cooler on it and its scoring where some of the leaks were lol......

looks like ref is holding it back - looks like aftermarket coolers will allow it to stretch it legs.....

and....btw confirmed...
Fottemberg did confirm bug in 16.2.2 drivers and new drivers were sent out 2 days ago that was supposed to fix the power bug and give another 5% performance.....

Seems also if you undervolt the 480 you get at least another 5% performance jump; putting the memory at 9000 gives another 6% - *from computerbase* looks like normal AMD putting the volts a little too high - that's good 10% more performance easily gain.

I don't think we've seen true performance from polaris yet.......and new Asus aftermarket cards actually look good.....

image.png

Any other excuse you feel you'd like to pull out the hat?
;)

Associate

and....btw confirmed...

image.png

Good on ya man keeping to your guns against overwhelming evidence to the contrary! You go man! I look forward to the driver excuse again tomorrow... And the day after... And the day after that etc...

Now some random wierdo puts a fan on his card and suddenly the old leaks are true! Well done friend. Well done!

Soldato
Good on ya man keeping to your guns against overwhelming evidence to the contrary! You go man! I look forward to the driver excuse again tomorrow... And the day after... And the day after that etc...

Now some random wierdo puts a fan on his card and suddenly the old leaks are true! Well done friend. Well done!

Not seen any evidence yet, never mind "overwhelming" evidence.

Soldato
You go too man! Keep up the fight. Maybe you can will the RX 480 positive benchmark results into existence?

I haven't seen any negative results for the card yet. Another troll trying to spread misery in an otherwise well mannered thread. Jog on please... You're not wanted here. Haven't seen you post anything of any value in here, seem just just be going around trying to put doubt onto anyone trying to be positive.

Soldato
Not really excuses when it's explained why it's not performing that well. More than the hot air you're expelling. :)

It's clear this chip is a m295x replacement. It's a laptop gcard scaled up on power just like lil tonga was. There are more fundamental problems than just p-state and thermal thresholds or drivers.

Soldato
It's clear this chip is a m295x replacement. It's a laptop gcard scaled up on power just like lil tonga was. There are more fundamental problems than just p-state and thermal thresholds or drivers.

Some are speculating problems with the process used by Global Foundries. I take back the hot air comment, wasn't appropriate of me to say that. Just fed up of seeing so many people judging something that nobody besides reviewers actually have their hands on yet, i'm holding my own judgement until my own RX 480 arrives tomorrow.

Last edited:
Associate
The initial RX480 4GB prices weren't that bad but now they have sold out and the prices are going up. Question is: when do custom cards come out? And when do the 470 and 460 come out?

Hopefully there will be sales of the 480 in a few months time bringing it to better prices, or at least comparable to the 380. Also has anyone noticed that the 380 and 960 haven't had price drops since this release?

Soldato
Some are speculating problems with the process used by Global Foundries. I take back the hot air comment, wasn't appropriate of me to say that. Just fed up of seeing so many people judging something that nobody besides reviewers actually have their hands on yet, i'm holding my own judgement until my own RX 480 arrives tomorrow.

No offence taken man, i want to see this card in itx size,
It's perfect for me to replace the r7 360 in my htpc, but not with the ref cooler.
Certainly agree theres some strange irregular results from different reviewers.

Associate
I haven't seen any negative results for the card yet. Another troll trying to spread misery in an otherwise well mannered thread. Jog on please... You're not wanted here. Haven't seen you post anything of any value in here, seem just just be going around trying to put doubt onto anyone trying to be positive.

Hey look man dont take out your frustrations on me! Maybe you should take a walk calm yourself down? Blame AMD not me;)

You don't know me BTW. I bought a Nano when they were overpriced and everyone was against the card on here. Also I was going to buy an RX 480. Look at some of my past posts here. I've supported the card as a low power alternative to the 380. I was just expecting a little more from both AMD AND ocuk. Firstly I would have liked the RX 480 to be around 390x and 980 speeds, but even after finding out it was more 970 I was still going to buy one and make another AMD water build like I did with the Nano. Then ocuk went and raised the prices on the card after only 2 hours on sale like money grabbing so and so's. At that point I decided against buying one for now.

However I'm realistic with how the card is performing and I don't try and make excuses. It's embarrassing to see so many people on here defending the card. It has its faults let's all just be honest about that fact!

Last edited:
Associate
However I'm realistic with how the card is performing and I don't try and make excuses. It's embarrassing to see so many people on here defending the card. It has its faults let's all just be honest about that fact!
Agree, a big letdown by AMD once again. Firstly that nonsense with Fury X and its "overclocker's dream" and now with exaggerated "perf/watt improvement".

Associate
The reality is this is not a repeat of the game changer that was the 4870, but is far from being a disaster just overhyped. It's simply a decent performing card at under £200 and will no doubt settle down quickly to £150 for the 4GB version and £170 for the 8GB.

Interesting how in the newest games it competes well with the 980, but older games performs more like a 780. Poorly optimised drivers spring to mind.

Back
Top Bottom